I know I have a huge thread going about the recent case that is dead for now but this one needs it's own place. I just learned a lot!
When unions were powerful, collective bargaining produced high wages, regular wage increases, and decent working conditions for millions of workers. Union members were an important element of society, and their political education programs were able to act as a barrier to demagogues spouting divisive populist rhetoric. For instance, unions helped to reduce the appeal of former Alabama governor and presidential candidate George Wallace and his pro-segregationist, anti-establishment messages in 1968, by pointing out the sorry plight of workers in Alabama.
And the achievements of collective bargaining also indirectly benefited non-union employees because their employers were motivated to set wages at nearly comparable rates to avoid unionization. True, unionization was not a total panacea for racial animosity. But it gave white and black workers a common stake in the collective bargaining process. In addition, workers who walk a picket line together for any length of time almost invariably come to see each other as brothers and sisters rather than as rivals for employer benefits.
Workers hurt by SCOTUS anti-union bias (Opinion) - CNN.com