Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Reformers Producing Fierce Challenge to Longtime Hoffa Leadership of Teamsters Union

Wow, this news has made it onto a site that is really not all about union news.

Eyes will be on the presidential race this fall, but another election with wide-reaching implications will be here soon enough as well. Elections for the General President and the General Executive Board of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters will have an impact on 1.2 million workers in the United States and the wider labor movement. Ballots will be mailed out to all members of the Teamsters this October.
    The elections come at a pivotal moment for both the Teamsters and the U.S. labor movement. This will be the first direct election in Teamsters history that will not occur while the union is under the direct supervision of the federal government. The Teamsters had been under such supervision from 1989 to 2015 as part of a settlement of RICO charges brought by then U.S. Attorney for Manhattan Rudolph Giuliani. The federal government is satisfied with the union's internal democratic reforms and no longer believes the Teamsters are under the influence of organized crime, but that does not mean the Teamsters are free of corruption or a thriving union.
    Reformers Producing Fierce Challenge to Longtime Hoffa Leadership of Teamsters Union | Alternet

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    UPS

Default Re: Reformers Producing Fierce Challenge to Longtime Hoffa Leadership of Teamsters Un

Good article
    I was highly interested in reading that UPS book, but there were download problems, I don't have an android device, or a kindle.
    A shame that you can't just download it and save it as a pdf reader or something. And I'm certainly not getting a Kindle just to read this. Bad user interface amazon

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Reformers Producing Fierce Challenge to Longtime Hoffa Leadership of Teamsters Un

Quote Originally Posted by AZUPS View Post
    Good article
    I was highly interested in reading that UPS book, but there were download problems, I don't have an android device, or a kindle.
    A shame that you can't just download it and save it as a pdf reader or something. And I'm certainly not getting a Kindle just to read this. Bad user interface amazon
    I did a search on Amazon and you cannot even buy a hard copy. You can only get it as a kindle download.

Obscurity has no heroes.

Local Union
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)

FYI, you can find Kindle apps or programs for smartphones or computers. I have one on my laptop (and Nook as well). IIRC they were free to download.

(And yeah, been away again for a while, lots of things going on in life and work...

5. Likes ABFwife, fxstc07, slavenomore Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by TropicDave173 View Post
    FYI, you can find Kindle apps or programs for smartphones or computers. I have one on my laptop (and Nook as well). IIRC they were free to download.

(And yeah, been away again for a while, lots of things going on in life and work...
    Nice to see you back!

7. Likes slavenomore Liked this post
    On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

I saw the part posted saying we are free from organized crime.......it seems to me that what once was organized crime has become somehow legalized. Instead of underground Mafia types we now have bankers, corporate types, and politicians practicing extortion, racketeering and shakedowns .......it's not even considered illegal anymore. That's the arrogance anymore.

9. Likes ABFwife, fxstc07, x475, ghostrider Liked this post
    On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

Thru the view of today's system....the only bad guy criminal types are guys who actually want something for their labors. Those are the punishable ones.

11. Likes TropicDave173 Liked this post
    Obscurity has no heroes.

Local Union
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    Nice to see you back!
    Thanks! In my own particular rat race, the rats were winning for a while...a cheesy comment, I know.

(I'm visualizing ABFwife looking feverishly for the nonexistent 'facepalm' smiley...)

Obscurity has no heroes.

Local Union
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)

Quote Originally Posted by slavenomore View Post
    I saw the part posted saying we are free from organized crime.......it seems to me that what once was organized crime has become somehow legalized. Instead of underground Mafia types we now have bankers, corporate types, and politicians practicing extortion, racketeering and shakedowns .......it's not even considered illegal anymore. That's the arrogance anymore.
    We might be "free" from organized crime (though I seriously doubt it's totally gone) but we have a "good ol' boys" network in place that's just as effective in keeping control of the IBT from "outsiders" like Fred Zuckerman who bucked the system, asked questions and went against JPH. I read where Fred's local (Local 89, one of the largest carhaul locals in the US) was denied representation and deemed out of order when FZ proposed some changes. I'll have to go look for it...for now just treat it as rumor until I can annotate where it came from (from a post by FZ on Facebook IIRC).

14. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

1989-2015 under Festal RICO Supervision.
    The years the funds went down.

Who are the criminals who need RICO Supervision?
    The mob?
    Or the Feds?
    Looks like the Feds to me.

16. Likes ghostrider Liked this post