Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
LOL LOL:  0
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default The War on Workers’ Comp

So yesterday I shared a post where I listed all the things employers have or are trying to take away. Here is another one I forgot. Absolutely shameful. So a person gets hurt on the job or worse, permanently disabled, WTH do they do? They might get permanent disability from the government but what about their injuries and doctor bills?

For nearly a century, millions of workers have endured punishing jobs in construction, mining and factory work—jobs with high levels of work-related disability and injury. As a tradeoff for the dangers, they’ve had the assurance of workers’ compensation if injured permanently on the job. Employers accepted this deal, albeit sometimes grudgingly, because it removed the possibility of being sued over work-related injuries.

But as labor has weakened and Republicans have won control of more and more statehouses, states have slowly chipped away at workers’ compensation benefits.

Since just 2003, more than 30 states have passed laws that have “reduced benefits for injured workers, created hurdles for medical care or made it more difficult for workers to qualify,” according to a recent investigative series by ProPublica and NPR. Some of the harshest cuts came in California, Arizona, Florida, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Kansas, Indiana and Tennessee. Today, according to the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), many injured and disabled workers “never enter the workers’ compensation system.” OSHA also estimates that workers’ compensation covers only about 21 percent of the lost wages and medical bills encountered by injured workers and their families.

Illinois, long a union stronghold, could nevertheless join the pack of those closing the doors for some to workers’ compensation if right-wing millionaire Gov. Bruce Rauner gets his way.
    The War on Workers’ Comp - Working In These Times

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Default Re: The War on Workers’ Comp

Part of the problem,just like Medicaid,social security disability and other insurance claims is fraud.. They cannot control the fraud therefore they take the soft target,the injured worker.. When I worked for Redstar I saw what some of the guys did.. Some got caught and got what coming to them.. Just last week I read about a former NYC police officer that got caught and he had to repay about a three quarters of a million and I believe he still got jail time.. Plus I think he lost his pension.. Stiff price to pay.. I have learned that the first thing someone should do when injured at work is to retain a lawyer.. They sure have helped me over the years and I am still involved with workers comp.. The insurance companies are not your best friend nor do they have your best interest in mind.. Simple solution would be to make stiff penalties for fraud my. Won't end it but it may reduce the amount of fraud.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: The War on Workers’ Comp

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Part of the problem,just like Medicaid,social security disability and other insurance claims is fraud.. They cannot control the fraud therefore they take the soft target,the injured worker.. When I worked for Redstar I saw what some of the guys did.. Some got caught and got what coming to them.. Just last week I read about a former NYC police officer that got caught and he had to repay about a three quarters of a million and I believe he still got jail time.. Plus I think he lost his pension.. Stiff price to pay.. I have learned that the first thing someone should do when injured at work is to retain a lawyer.. They sure have helped me over the years and I am still involved with workers comp.. The insurance companies are not your best friend nor do they have your best interest in mind.. Simple solution would be to make stiff penalties for fraud my. Won't end it but it may reduce the amount of fraud.
    I agree there is fraud but to do away with workers comp or to reduce it is IMO not the way to handle it. They are punishing everyone.