Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Thanks Thanks:  0
LOL LOL:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Retired !

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    107
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    17,967
    Rep Power
    384

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    I would personally much rather see money going to job creation.
    Can't have job creation until you remove the corporations, their political influence and the elitists that control the banks.

  2. #12
    On A Mission

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A
    Posts
    14,849
    Rep Power
    949

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    Tariffs are the ultimate job creater and reversal of corporate /union power structure.

    No more running away whilst making more profits and still selling here.

    If they want to sell here they will build here and not run away.

  3. #13
    aka. dblclutch

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Local Union
    705ibt
    Employer
    abf
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    58

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    Quote Originally Posted by slavenomore View Post
    Tariffs are the ultimate job creater and reversal of corporate /union power structure.

    No more running away whilst making more profits and still selling here.

    If they want to sell here they will build here and not run away.
    From 1963 to 65 I was station in Munich Gr.
    tariffs on US cars was equal to the price.

  4. #14
    Retired !

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    107
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    17,967
    Rep Power
    384

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    Quote Originally Posted by driver77 View Post
    From 1963 to 65 I was station in Munich Gr.
    tariffs on US cars was equal to the price.
    There is a current VAT tax equal to about 19% of the cost of the new car.
    Hasn't stopped anyone from buying a new car in Europe yet.

  5. #15
    Oh boy, this is great!

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Local Union
    908
    Employer
    Retired
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    6,425
    Rep Power
    817

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    There is a current VAT tax equal to about 19% of the cost of the new car.
    Hasn't stopped anyone from buying a new car in Europe yet.
    According to the UN, there were 740 million people in Europe in 2010. And you say with
    certainty that out of 740 million people, None of them did not buy a new car because they could not afford the extra 19% ?

    Or to put it another way, not one more car would have been purchased, if the price had been 19% less?







    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._of_Europe#Age

  6. #16
    Retired !

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    107
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    17,967
    Rep Power
    384

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    Quote Originally Posted by x475 View Post
    According to the UN, there were 740 million people in Europe in 2010. And you say with
    certainty that out of 740 million people, None of them did not buy a new car because they could not afford the extra 19% ?

    Or to put it another way, not one more car would have been purchased, if the price had been 19% less?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._of_Europe#Age
    No, that's not what I said.
    I said it hasn't stopped anyone that wanted to purchase a car from getting one ... not anymore then it has here in the USA.
    If a person wants ( or needs ) a new car and can afford it, they usually purchase it.
    A tax hasn't stopped sales in Europe, or the USA.

    New car sales rose again in Europe last month, close to levels last seen in March 2007, before the financial and economic crisis hit the car industry.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...-uk-volkswagen

  7. #17
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Local Union
    641
    Employer
    Retired New Penn
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    Posts
    23,195
    Rep Power
    327

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    Universal Basic Income has been floated around for over fifty years and they talked about on TV and it was mentioned it was first mentioned by President Eisenhower {Yup!! A Republican}
    Then it was brought up again during Nixons presidency.. Whole idea was to get people off the welfare roles and the money would go back into the economy .. Never passed the house then and would never pass the house today..

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...come-a-primer/

  8. #18
    aka. dblclutch

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Local Union
    705ibt
    Employer
    abf
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    58

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    I think there is a big difference between a tariff and vat.

  9. #19
    Retired !

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    107
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    17,967
    Rep Power
    384

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    Quote Originally Posted by driver77 View Post
    I think there is a big difference between a tariff and vat.
    Not really. They are both put in place to tax a commodity or goods.
    The big difference is a tarriff taxes the country were the item is produced, for the purposes to regulate trade, while the VAT taxes it at the point of consumption, as a type of local tax.
    Either way, it's a tax on the product you want, passed on the the end consumer.
    Different yes, but we the consumer still pay in the end.

    strappy should jump in at any moment to tell us that is why we shouldn't tax corporations.

  10. #20
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Local Union
    89
    Employer
    Allied
    Posts
    8,605
    Rep Power
    311

    Default Re: The Case for Unions to Support a Universal Basic Income

    Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Not really. They are both put in place to tax a commodity or goods.
    The big difference is a tarriff taxes the country were the item is produced, for the purposes to regulate trade, while the VAT taxes it at the point of consumption, as a type of local tax.
    Either way, it's a tax on the product you want, passed on the the end consumer.
    Different yes, but we the consumer still pay in the end.

    strappy should jump in at any moment to tell us that is why we shouldn't tax corporations.
    I would but you already answered it
    Either way, it's a tax on the product you want, passed on the the end consumer.
    Different yes, but we the consumer still pay in the end.

    But I'll add this, a tariff would be a tax on a country and the consumer would then buy a cheaper national brand and avoid the tax in the first place. Wars have been started on such a thing.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •