Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Thanks Thanks:  0
LOL LOL:  0
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Default Robert Reich at his finest!!

What was he thinking.. I am not a follower of this guy but most of the posts on here about him are decent.. This time it seemed he reversed course..

SICKENING: Clinton aide warns Americans not to do this on 4th of July... - Allen B. West - AllenBWest.com

As the Daily Caller reports, Former Secretary of Labor in the Clinton administration and current University of California Berkeley professor Robert Reich wants Americans to be vigilant this July 4 against “exclusive patriotism” that “asserts a unique and superior ‘Americanism.’”

“We hear a lot about patriotism, especially around the Fourth of July. But in 2016, we’re hearing about two very different types of patriotism. One is an inclusive patriotism that binds us together. The other is an exclusive patriotism that keeps others out,” Reich writes.

Reich claims that “we’re now hearing a strident, exclusive patriotism. It asserts a unique and superior ‘Americanism that’s determined to exclude others beyond our borders.”

You know where this is going, right?

“Donald Trump famously wants to ban all Muslims from coming to America, and to build a wall along the Mexican border to keep out Mexicans,” he says.

“Exclusive patriotism tells us to fear foreign terrorists in our midst — even though almost every terrorist attack since 9/11 has been perpetrated by American citizens or holders of green cards living here for a decade or more.”

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Robert Reich at his finest!!

Hmm, our priest did a homily at church yesterday about 4th of July and how we have something in this country and have for a very long time, something that others want and that is what has made this country what it is. Think about our ancestors. The English came here to escape the crown and religious persecution, the Irish came her to escape the same thing, countless other immigrants have come here for the same reason for the last couple of hundred years. Another words, we are a country made up of people that came here from other countries.

I get what he is saying. We are blessed to live in this country. But we should not take the attitude that we are better than everyone else, to the point where we care about no one else.

3. Likes fxstc07, 2631 Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    Hmm, our priest did a homily at church yesterday about 4th of July and how we have something in this country and have for a very long time, something that others want and that is what has made this country what it is. Think about our ancestors. The English came here to escape the crown and religious persecution, the Irish came her to escape the same thing, countless other immigrants have come here for the same reason for the last couple of hundred years. Another words, we are a country made up of people that came here from other countries.

I get what he is saying. We are blessed to live in this country. But we should not take the attitude that we are better than everyone else, to the point where we care about no one else.
    They came and they assimilated.. There are those today that "refuse" to do that but rather we accept their values.. Again does anyone think that we can go to their countries demand that they change to our values?? And I am talking about this on a personable level,not country building like our government tries to do..

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    They came and they assimilated.. There are those today that "refuse" to do that but rather we accept their values.. Again does anyone think that we can go to their countries demand that they change to our values?? And I am talking about this on a personable level,not country building like our government tries to do..
    I agree that all need to assimilate. No disagreement from me. But I think what he is talking about is this protectionism attitude being taken to a dangerous level.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    I agree that all need to assimilate. No disagreement from me. But I think what he is talking about is this protectionism attitude being taken to a dangerous level.
    I have to agree with you.
    And to everyone else ... take the time to read Mr. Reich's article, in whole, not in selected quotes.
    Here is just the last part of his article.

Finally, inclusive patriotism doesn’t pander to divisiveness, as does the alternative patriotism that focuses on who “doesn’t belong” because of racial or religious or ethnic differences. Inclusive patriotism isn’t homophobic or sexist or racist.

To the contrary, inclusive patriotism confirms and strengthens the “we” in “we the people of the United States.”

So will it be inclusive or exclusive patriotism? A celebration of “us” or contempt for “them”?

Inclusive patriotism is our national creed. It is born of hope. Mean-spirited, exclusive patriotism is new to our shores. It is born of fear.

Robert Reich (The Choice of Patriotism)

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

I've read that Mr. Reich is a dual citizen in Israel.....why are they not accepting many refugees?

Same with Sanders.

Wonder what would happen politically if we all became dual citizens with Vatican City and made our own "Sharia laws" type stuff for Catholics in those areas....No divorce. Support Unions. No contrraception. No living together before marriage. No abortion...

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

One reason we can't take them on.
    $20 trillion.
    Can those who want to help people take them into their own homes and feed them. so that one day our own elderly and weak do not suffer?
    That debt needs paid down before helping others.
    I'm broke.
    I can't bring homeless people in. My kids would starve.
    America is broke.
    Our people will starve.
    The top 1% will benefit greatly when we're all broke and hungry...We'll be forced to do anything for a dollar.
    Not a good scenario for future Americans.