Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Hoffa: Autonomous Vehicle Bill Has Room for Improvement as it Makes its Long March Th

(WASHINGTON) – The following is a statement by Teamsters General President James P. Hoffa on the vote in the U.S. House of Representatives to pass H.R. 3388, the SELF DRIVE Act, legislation allowing for the nationwide deployment of automated driving technology.

“As the legislation concerning autonomous vehicles moves forward through Congress, the interests of working Americans and the safety of our roadways must be a top priority for lawmakers.

“The Teamsters Union is encouraged by recent improvements to the bill, including the bipartisan consensus among members of Congress that commercial motor vehicles should be exempted from this legislation.

“However, more work needs to be done. The exemption for commercial vehicles must be clarified prior to final passage. We look forward to working with members of both parties to ensure that workers and the motoring public will have the safe and reliable transportation system they deserve, both today and far into the future.
    https://teamster.org/news/2017/09/ho...-march-through

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Default Re: Hoffa: Autonomous Vehicle Bill Has Room for Improvement as it Makes its Long Marc

I don't think that any driverless cars should be allowed on the highways.. That would mean that they are computerized and where you have computers you have hackers..This IMO could lead to disaster..

3. Likes fedexnuno Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Hoffa: Autonomous Vehicle Bill Has Room for Improvement as it Makes its Long Marc

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    I don't think that any driverless cars should be allowed on the highways.. That would mean that they are computerized and where you have computers you have hackers..This IMO could lead to disaster..
    While I believe driverless technology is a long way off, we might as well get comfortable with the idea that things change. And this will be just another advancement in technology that the common man won't stop.
    If you think about it, the aircraft in the skies are highly computerized and for the most part almost fly themselves. But they don't, and all require an experienced pilot, and co-pilot behind the controls.

Driverless trucks ? Not in the rest of my lifetime, or possibly my children's lifetime either.
    Too many variables, too many changes in our roads and infrastructure.

We can't even fix our existing bridges and failing roads now. Don't expect a dramatic change that would require every road to be like a modern airport before driverless vehicles take over.

I just don't see it happening for decades, or longer.

5. Likes crazy, fedexnuno Liked this post
    Steward

Local Union
    Employer
    Nature's Best

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Don't forget magnetic field glitches can cause a disaster, even stop a human heart within seconds

7. Likes crazy Liked this post