Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Having Fun Now

Local Union
    Employer
    UPGF

Default Re: We are ashamed of our flag

Who knows why so many Citizens tolerate such BLATANT CORRUPTION in OUR Political Non-Representatives?
    And what about the blatant corruption in the union?

Big unions are no different than big business,...Both are evil and do nothing good for people,....
    They both only care about money and preserving themselves,....

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post

Big unions are no different than big business,...Both are evil and do nothing good for people,....
    I believe there is good and bad, both in politics and in the unions.

If the unions did nothing good for their members, then answer this for me.

As a down and out of work young Father, single with children, struggling to get a foot hold on daily living and expenses. Then I was able to land a job I knew would provide where others failed. Higher pay, better benefits, and in the end, a pension.
    I went though a strike, I went though a company bankruptcy, I went thought the "vote until you get it right" days and I made it to retirement.
    In the interim, I was able to save, was able to have excellent medical coverage, and I was able to keep a roof over my kids heads and provide for them what other non-union jobs couldn't do.
    Today, I am retired. I see my pension check arrive each month and Thank God for the union and what they did for me.
    All good times in the union. No ... but better then what others wanted to provide.
    Can changes be made, absolutely. But they need to come from the members.
    So your statement "Both are evil and do nothing good for people doesn't really portray the overwhelming majority of union men and woman that have benefited from union membership.
    Without it, we would still be working 80 hour weeks and getting our pay in the form of "company coins" that we could only use at the company store.
    Yep ... I'll take the union, good and bad, all of it.

So in my case, the good far outweighs the bad.

3. Likes ABFwife, crazy, 222lifer, 2631, tiredseat Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Great post fxstc and it made me want to share a little more about our past before the teamsters union. When my husband and I met, we both had jobs. But we barely got by. He was not a truck driver at the time and I was a secretary. Not a year later a recession hit CA. A year later we lost everything after losing our jobs and being unemployed for over a year. Yes, both of us! We decided to make a go of it in New Mexico. Came here for two years and did good but we were still pretty poor. Went back to CA and that just didn't work. While still out there, husband became a truck driver, non union. We were poor as church mice with a one year old to support. I did not want to work. With him gone three to six weeks at a time, I wanted to be a steady part of my daughter's life. We ended up moving here and for eight years husband worked non union. Then he landed the job at ABF. Our lives changed drastically for the better. His pay jumped considerably, we have excellent benefits, he is building a pension for retirement. And as I mentioned recently to you, the two years he was laid off from ABF were absolute hell. Unemployment benefits are very low in this state and when he did get work it was non union and extremely low pay. I would never wish on anyone what we went through during that time. Are unions perfect? No. But again, the members have the power to change who is in office. Would I rather my husband worked non union? Hell no!!!

5. Likes fxstc07, 222lifer, 2631, slavenomore Liked this post
    On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post

There's corruption everywhere. People are people, not God. corruption in the Church, corruption in the town, township, county, state and nation. Corruption in business, corruption on Wall street, corruption at the banks and at the welfare offices too. corruption in charities, corruption in sports, entertainment...and everywhere.

What can we do but try?
    It can happen to other humans. It can happen to us...but we just have to try...sometimes ya fall...and we get up and try again. Sometimes it's very hard to keep wanting to try.

7. Likes ABFwife, tiredseat Liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12