Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recovering an erased history: The Chinese railroad workers who helped connect the cou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering an erased history: The Chinese railroad workers who helped connect the cou

Here on a labor union site, I do think it is very worth mentioning. Did anyone ever watch the series "Hell on Wheels"? One of the best tv programs I have ever seen! I bought a book shortly after watching that about the building of the railroad and this program was very close to the real story. I cannot imagine the back breaking work that all the men put in building the transcontinental railroad!
    They thought this was their chance.

May 10, 1969, marked 100 years since the golden spike was hammered in at Promontory, Utah, signifying the completion of America’s first transcontinental railroad — a monumental engineering feat that linked together the nation's coasts.

A ceremony commemorating the anniversary drew a crowd of around 20,000. Among the attendees were Philip P. Choy, president of the San Francisco-based Chinese Historical Society of America, and Thomas W. Chinn, one of its founders.

Centennial officials had agreed to set aside five minutes of the ceremony for the society to pay homage to the Chinese workers who had helped build the railroad, but whose contributions had been largely glossed over in history. Choy, Chinn and the others gathered at Promontory that day had hoped this would be the moment when the more than 10,000 Chinese who labored for the Central Pacific Railroad finally got their due.

They didn’t.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...ountry-n991136

Re: Recovering an erased history: The Chinese railroad workers who helped connect the

While I knew the Chinese worked on the railroad I never knew the numbers were that great. It would be hard to imagine the staggering number of injuries and deaths of the workers since in essence they were treated as slaves.

Once again we see how this country used the poor for the enrichment of a few.

Comment

Working...
    X