Why Young Workers Are Embracing Labor Unions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Young Workers Are Embracing Labor Unions

Always good news! My youngest is very pro union although I am not sure she would ever be in a situation where she could have a union job. My son is union. It is up to us older ones to teach the younger people the importance of a union. I do think part of the problem is that ten years ago, all you heard was that a young person must go to college. The vocational jobs which are commonly union were not being discussed, not being pushed and now we have a bunch of retiring plumbers, electricians, and suddenly the importance of these jobs are coming to the surface again. And hopefully along with that, the importance of unions. And it seems now many white collar jobs are forming unions.

In March 2019, the editorial staff at Gimlet Media became the first podcasting company to unionize when they joined the Writers Guild of America. The announcement came just a month after Gimlet was acquired by Spotify in a $230 million dollar deal.

Unionizing has been notoriously difficult for tech companies, according to Fast Company, but it could be the beginning of an industry-wide shift.

And the Gimlet workers’ move is evidence that labor organizing isn’t a thing of the past. The Center for Economic Policy and Research reported that 75 percent of new union members are under the age of 35.

Will younger generations of workers lead a resurgence of organized labor?
    Millennials are more supportive of labor unions than generations before them. A 2018 Gallup poll showed that 66 percent of people ages 18 to 34 approve of labor unions, compared to 60 percent of people ages 35 to 54 and 62 percent of people ages 55 and older.
    https://www.rewire.org/work/younger-...jqWFeUcE5QNMjA
Working...
X