Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
LOL LOL:  0
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Massive crash I-280 New Jersey

This crash involves a dump truck which hit State Police vehicles, fire and ambulance equipment, other vehicles and pedestrians.
    Both sides of the road in north Jersey are closed while the investigation and clean-up continues.

Attachment 1422

State Police, pedestrians hit by dump truck in massive wreck on I-280 involving ambulance, fire truck
    A multi-vehicle crash involving a dump truck, fire truck, police SUV and an ambulance has left two State Police troopers injured and forced the closure of I-280 in both directions in Essex County, officials said.
    Emergency crews were responding to an accident near exit 9 on the highway in West Orange after 10 a.m. when the chain-reaction crash occurred.
    Overhead video from the scene shows a dump truck smashed into the back of the ambulance, which then hit the fire truck. Two wrecked State Police SUVs, a work van and a passenger minivan are also damaged and strewn about the highway in the eastbound lanes.
    https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/07/mas...ses-i-280.html

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Massive crash I-280 New Jersey

A follow up story about this massive chain reaction crash in North Jersey.
    More then a dozen people were taken to area hospitals from this accident.
    The dump truck driver has yet to be identified.

Dump truck hit accident scene like ‘bowling ball hitting bowling pins’ in wreck that seriously injured responders
    A crash that left several first responders seriously hurt began when a dump truck slammed into two vehicles, setting off a chain-reaction wreck that involved police SUVs, an ambulance and a fire truck on I-280 in West Orange, according to an update on the crash released Wednesday.
    In a statement Wednesday, State Police said emergency crews were aiding an unspecified number of injured from the first crash and blocked the right lane when a Kenworth dump truck smashed into the scene.
    The dump truck first hit a Honda Accord and a Ford Econoline van, pushing the van into a Honda CR-V and an occupied State Police vehicle parked at the initial crash, according to authorities.
    “The State Police vehicle was forced into a Ford E-450 and into an unoccupied State Police vehicle,” the agency said in a statement. “The Kenworth dump truck continued onto the right shoulder and struck the rear of a West Orange Fire Department ambulance, which was pushed into the rear of a West Orange Fire Department truck.”
    https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/07/dum...esponders.html

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

The dump truck involved in this crash was cited for 12 safety violations in 2 separate inspections before the accident.
    The trucks owner better hope he had repaired those violations because he will be held for anything that might have contributed to this accident.

Dump truck in massive I-280 crash cited for a dozen safety violations just weeks before wreck
    The dump truck that slammed into an accident scene on I-280 causing a chain-reaction wreck involving police and fire vehicles that sent dozens to the hospital — including two troopers and several first responders — was cited for 12 safety violations in two separate inspections just weeks before the crash, according to federal records.
    During each of the inspections in June, violations was deemed serious enough to force the Patrick’s Trucking dump truck temporarily out of service, according to a public safety database maintained by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

The dump truck is the lone vehicle owned by Newark-based Patrick’s Trucking. State Police identified the driver as Edgar Penafiel, 54, of Newark.
    https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/08/dum...ore-wreck.html

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Firefighter released from hospital after this massive crash.

N.J. firefighter seriously hurt in dump truck wreck leaves hospital to applause
    A West Orange firefighter was released from the hospital this week after he was seriously injured when a dump truck crashed through an accident scene and slammed into several emergency vehicles.
    Capt. Will Holder was met by applause from fellow first responders as he left University Hospital in Newark Tuesday and headed to a rehabilitation facility, according to a township announcement. Holder, wearing a neck brace and moved on a stretcher to an ambulance, saluted the crowd of well-wishers.
    The firefighter/EMT was among several state troopers, firefighters and police officers who were hurt in the July 30 wreck on Route 280. Authorities said crews were working on another crash along the busy highway when a dump truck slammed into several vehicles, knocking a parked fire department ambulance into a fire truck at the scene.
    https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/08/nj-...-applause.html