X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the Hot Seat

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...idney-n1031321

UPS delivery drivers at risk of heat-related illnesses

The day Jim Klenk's kidneys almost failed was hot and humid. After almost 15 years as a UPS driver, Klenk had developed a routine to deal with the heat. He carried frozen water bottles, wet towels for his neck, and spare shirts to replace those he'd sweat through.

After his 50th birthday, the summers had started to get to him. That August day in 2016 was forecast to hit 90 degrees. The cargo area of his brown delivery truck, which wasn't air-conditioned, could easily top 120.

A few days before, he'd worked through the heat until he started seeing stars, he said, then called his supervisor to pick him up. Not finishing a delivery route wasn't looked upon favorably, according to Klenk.

The only U.S. employer with more heat incidents reported to federal regulators than UPS is the U.S. Postal Service
    I saw one article that showed a handheld message instructing drivers about talking to media/reporters.

Re: In the Hot Seat

Originally posted by RedRollingRoadblock View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...idney-n1031321

UPS delivery drivers at risk of heat-related illnesses

I saw one article that showed a handheld message instructing drivers about talking to media/reporters.
    I have to say I watch these guys working on the roads here in NM and I wonder how anyone can handle that too. Yes we are under a super heat wave right now. Our humidity is not so bad but the sun is so bright here, no smog, high altitude, it is killer. Spent about 20 minutes washing my Sea Doo the other day and just about collapsed. Working in the heat is no joke. And the fact is when you get older, you can't handle it the way you did when you were younger. Maybe some of those suit and tie guys at UPS should try it out and see what people are dealing with?

Comment

Working...
    X