Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: A Labor Day Message from Teamsters General President James P. Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    So let's take this a step further on this day we honor labor. Why do these leaders continue to win re-election if they are the epitome of a POS? They must appeal to someone? My choices weren't the Hoffa/Hall ticket but here they are.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
    Yes!!!! Exactly what I am thinking!!!

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

Maybe because there aren't enough freight Teamsters who actually care enough to vote. Also Hoffa's name recognition by those members in the other divisions who don't realize what a POS he has been for us in freight.

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Quote Originally Posted by 2631 View Post
    Maybe because there aren't enough freight Teamsters who actually care enough to vote. Also Hoffa's name recognition by those members in the other divisions who don't realize what a POS he has been for us in freight.
    Your thoughts are spot on IMO.

Having Fun Now

Local Union
    Employer
    UPGF

So let's take this a step further on this day we honor labor. Why do these leaders continue to win re-election if they are the epitome of a POS? They must appeal to someone? My choices weren't the Hoffa/Hall ticket but here they are.

Bus drivers and school lunch ladies sucking off the tax payers tit???

Whoever is voting for the goon squad doesn't work in freight, That's for sure,...

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Bus drivers and school lunch ladies sucking off the tax payers tit???

Whoever is voting for the goon squad doesn't work in freight, That's for sure,...
    Maybe firefighters, police, nurses, railworkers, airline, and a host of others? It seems that quite a few freight Teamsters gave them the nod as well. I wonder what they were thinking?

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF Freightway

During the 1930s,organized labor achieved significant gains by relying on the actual and potential power of assertive confrontation in the form of direct action,strikes,work stoppages,boycotts,etc...This repeated demonstration of determined ''Bottom-Up'' power may not have put corporate on the run,but it put them on the defensive,getting attention and reluctant RESPECT...

But during the New Deal,key labor and union leaders shifted to a strategy of political partnership,accommodation,and compromise...They effectively agreed to put a leash and muzzle on radical direct action in favor of the more moderate approach of cultivating political alliances and partnerships to achieve desired objectives...

The general idea was that labor leaders would retreat from disruptive mass action,and instead develop a cooperate QUID PRO QUO in which labor organizations would support and assist 'Friendly Politicians',who in turn would work to promote labor's interest by offering and supporting labor friendly legislation...

This profound shift in strategy had the DAMAGING effect of shifting the balance of power within labor organizations from ''Bottom-Up'' to ''Top-Down''...It was devastating...Instead of a broad democratic process in which union leaders were primarily influenced by the ''WILL'' of the Rank and File,the 'Politicized' union leaders became Top-Down authorities who SET the agenda and DICTATED policy in accordance with their STATUS and POWER as ''Political Insiders''...It was obvious from the get go,that this Non-Confrontational approach had backfired...Despite the BONE of a National Labor Relations Board,a viable PRO-LABOR bloc in Congress never materialized...

For a while,Democratic Party politicians including Harry Truman,paid lip service to repealing the crushing Anti-Labor Taft-Hartlet Act,but somehow that repeal never happened,and after organized labor was beaten like a gong for over a decade,its leaders were too CO-OPTED to abandon their dubious 'work within the system' philosophy...Some unions made the unfortunate decision to ALLY with organized crime to provide the muscle,or brute force,previously supplied by committed radical labor activists within the labor movement...This turned out to be a further public relations disaster...Along the lines of the Rolling Stones hiring Hell's Angels for security at the infamous Altamont concert where a fan was killed...

This was the slippery slope leading down to the STATUS QUO...Union Membership gradually became TAKEN OVER by Party Machines,and Union Bosses became SERVANTS,ALLIES,and aspiring ''MEMBERS'' of the Capitalist Class(Hoffa for sure)...The Union Bosses told Rank and File workers which politicians the Unions supported,and the latter 'Volunteered' or were drafted as CAMPAIGN WORKERS...

I don't dispute this approach was,and can be effective in giving labor some degree of political power,but it really does amount to a form of Political 'Sharecropping' or Benevolent Servitude at best...The REAL STRENGTH of Organized Labor is in its ''ORIGINAL, RADICAL,DIRECT,BOTTOM-UP STRATEGY AND METHODS''.....But them days are long over...

7. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    Having Fun Now

Local Union
    Employer
    UPGF

Maybe firefighters, police, nurses, railworkers, airline, and a host of others? It seems that quite a few freight Teamsters gave them the nod as well. I wonder what they were thinking?

They were bust drinking the koolaid,....For some reason they believed the ba's when they touted it as "the best contract ever",....
    Funny thing, when I try to file a grievance the ba says I can't,...because of "this rag of a contract allows it"

The leadership lied to the members,..pure and simple

The teamster union has sold the members out in favor of becoming the company henchmen,...F this union!!

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    They were bust drinking the koolaid,....For some reason they believed the ba's when they touted it as "the best contract ever",....
    Funny thing, when I try to file a grievance the ba says I can't,...because of "this rag of a contract allows it"

The leadership lied to the members,..pure and simple

The teamster union has sold the members out in favor of becoming the company henchmen,...F this union!!
    No, that can't be, we YRC Teamsters have the best contract ever. At least that's what we were told in 2008 or before. Seems like a catch phrase to me. That contract was ratified as well. Work with what you have and try to better it next go round.

According to your BA your contract spells it out clearly. What you have is a gripe, not a grievance. I've dealt with that frustration before. Like I said above. Work with what you have and try to better it next go round

You and your co-workers are the Union Walleye so basically you just said "f" yourself.

There are many workers that want a Union are denied that chance. On this labor day I am counting my blessings. I have a Union. Is it perfect? No. Can we make it better? Yes! That requires involvement. Something I feel many forget all about.

10. Likes 2631, gillholey Liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12