Pennsylvania road advisory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania road advisory

We have many threads about weather, winter time and summer. But this is an advisory for tractor trailer drivers traveling though Pennsylvania.
    Restrictions on speed and right lane only during winter events. Fines up to $300.
    Seems I-78 across Pennsy is always a nightmare in winter. Throw in I-81 and you'll see how bad travel in the winter can be.

PennDOT rolls out new truck restriction program
    The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) is looking ahead to winter weather and rolling out a pilot program that will restrict travel lanes for commercial vehicle drivers.
    The new PennDOT program will restrict semi trucks to the right lane any time that the weather is bad enough to lower the speed limit to 45 m.p.h., according to local news outlet WNEP.
    The new lane restriction for trucks will be put into place during the next winter weather event that results in a reduced speed limit.
    Last winter, PennDOT issued multiple truck travel bans due to inclement weather that completely restricted commercial vehicle travel on certain roadways. During these truck bans, Pennsylvania troopers aggressively patrolled restricted roadways and handed out hundreds of $300 citations for violating the ban.
    https://cdllife.com/2019/penndot-rol...ction-program/

re: Pennsylvania road advisory

Looks like driving across I-80 in Pennsylvania was a nightmare yesterday. A massive pile-up closed a section of the road and traffic had to detour around the area.
    Be careful out there drivers !
    Take a look at the pictures.

Numerous tractor-trailers involved in PA I-80 pileup
    Multiple tractor-trailers were involved in a massive pileup of at least 20 vehicles in both lanes of Interstate 80 near mile marker 202 in central Pennsylvania Wednesday, Dec. 18, afternoon.
    Numerous media reports say at least one person died and 33 people were transported to a nearby hospital following the crash that occurred at about 1:20 p.m. in snow squalls in White Deer Township some 30 miles south of Williamsport.
    Westbound I-80 traffic was being detoured via Interstate 180 through Williamsport and then Route 220 back to I-80 at the Lock Haven interchange. Eastbound traffic is being routed in the opposite direction.
    https://www.truckersnews.com/numerou...a-i-80-pileup/

Comment

A follow up to the accident listed above in post #2. Two dead with 46 injured. More pictures of the accident scene. I don't know how some survived this mess.

Two dead, 46 hurt, in I-80 pileup involving multiple big rigs
      Authorities in Pennsylvania say that two people have died following a chain-reaction crash on Wednesday that leaves a portion of I-80 shut down on Thursday morning. The crash occurred around 1 p.m. on Wednesday in White Deer Township in central Pennsylvania during snow squall conditions that made roads slick and limited visibility. Police say that 20 to 30 vehicles collided in the westbound lanes of I-80 during the pileup, including several semi trucks.
      One man died at the scene of the crash. Another man passed away at the hospital on Wednesday evening.
      At least 46 people were taken to the hospital for treatment of various injuries, PennLive reports.
      The crash closed a 34 mile stretch of both directions of I-80 for hours.
      https://cdllife.com/2019/two-dead-46...iple-big-rigs/

Comment

The Pennsylvania turnpike suffered a massive deadly accident last night. Not sure if weather conditions were a factor, or the typical speeding vehicles on that road. In pictures from another web site I notice some Fedex equipment in the pictures. No other info is available right now.

A crash on the PA Turnpike kills 5 people and injures 50 others
        A massive pileup involving tractor-trailers, a tour bus and passenger cars killed five people and injured at least 50 others Sunday morning, authorities said.
        The crash happened around 3:34 a.m. Sunday on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Mount Pleasant Township, the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety said.
        “Crash involves 2 tractor trailers, a tour bus and passenger vehicles. Turnpike is closed in both directions from New Stanton (#75) to Breezewood (#161). A prolonged closure likely,” tweeted Pennsylvania Turnpike spokesman Carl DeFebo.
        https://fox43.com/2020/01/05/a-crash...res-50-others/

Comment

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post
          The Pennsylvania turnpike suffered a massive deadly accident last night. Not sure if weather conditions were a factor, or the typical speeding vehicles on that road. In pictures from another web site I notice some Fedex equipment in the pictures. No other info is available right now.

A crash on the PA Turnpike kills 5 people and injures 50 others

https://fox43.com/2020/01/05/a-crash...res-50-others/
          Just saw it on the local news. They say it was bad road conditions. Very sad.

Comment

The story in post #4 has now made all the headline news reports. All the articles I read had not identified the dead as kin had yet to be notified, except this story I am posting.
            What I am confused with is 2 of the dead are listed as the UPS drivers. If you see the pictures, the UPS truck cab is wholly intact. The other truck looks to have suffered a much worse fate as the entire cab is destroyed.

Police ID 5 killed in Pa. Turnpike crash involving bus owned by N.J. company, multiple trucks
            The five people killed on the Pennsylvania Turnpike early Sunday morning, when a loaded bus went out of control on a hill and rolled over, setting off a chain reaction that involved three tractor-trailers and a passenger car have been identified by authorities.
            Two UPS drivers, Daniel Kepner, 53, and Dennis Kehler, 48, were killed in the crash, company spokeswoman Kristen Petrella said. Both were driving together in a tractor-trailer out of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, officials said.

Also killed in the crash were Jaremy Vazquez, 9, from Brooklyn; Eileen Zelis Aria, 35, from the Bronx; and Shang Quing Feng, 58, from Flushing, Queens. Feng was behind the wheel of the tour bus that crash.
            RIP, may the Lord grant you peace drivers !

Be careful out there, you all have families to return home to.

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/01/poli...le-trucks.html

Comment

Just information for all the drivers on Pennsylvania roads. The cameras are watching !

State to start using camera system to ticket drivers in March
              In just a few more weeks, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) will begin using a camera system to enforce speed limits in construction zones.
              Starting on March 4, 2020,PennDOT’s Automated Work Zone Speed Enforcement (AWZSE) program will go into full effect, meaning drivers caught speeding in a work zone by the camera systems can be ticketed.
              PennDOT says that the camera systems have been used or are in use in the following locations:

Interstate 78 Section 12M Project (Mile Markers 35-43), Berks County
              Interstate 476 Total Reconstruction (Mileposts 31-38), Montgomery County
              Interstate 83 Exit 4 Project (Mileposts 3-4), York County
              US 1, Section RC1, Bucks County
              Interstate 276, Section RC1, Bucks County
              US 1, Section WAV (Wayne Avenue Viaduct), Philadelphia
              PA 885, Section A45, Allegheny County
              Slow down and save a life.

https://cdllife.com/2020/state-to-st...vers-in-march/

Comment

Re: Pennsylvania road advisory

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post
                The story in post #4 has now made all the headline news reports. All the articles I read had not identified the dead as kin had yet to be notified, except this story I am posting.
                What I am confused with is 2 of the dead are listed as the UPS drivers. If you see the pictures, the UPS truck cab is wholly intact. The other truck looks to have suffered a much worse fate as the entire cab is destroyed.

Police ID 5 killed in Pa. Turnpike crash involving bus owned by N.J. company, multiple trucks

RIP, may the Lord grant you peace drivers !

Be careful out there, you all have families to return home to.

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/01/poli...le-trucks.html
                NTSB primarily report on this accident has been released.
                At one time in my driving career, I drove that road twice a week, for several years.
                I know the buses always passed me, even though I was driving a big truck at the time.

Tour bus rolled, started chain-reaction crash that killed 5 on Pennsylvania Turnpike, NTSB says
                Preliminary information has been released by the National Transportation Safety Board in regards to the fatal Pennsylvania Turnpike crash last month that killed five people, including a 9-year-old.
                According to the NTSB report, the crash started when a tour bus was traveling and descending through a curve in the westbound lanes on Interstate 70 near Mount Pleasant.
                The report notes that the posted speed limit on I-70 in the area is 70 mph, but an advisory sign ahead of the crash warns westbound vehicles of a 55-mph speed limit for the upcoming curve.
                The tour bus veered off toward the median and onto the paved left shoulder. It then veered to the right and crossed all the travel lanes before colliding with the embankment.
                The tour bus rolled onto its side and stretched across the westbound lanes, where it was struck by a FedEx Ground tractor-trailer. The tour bus and the Fed Ex tractor-trailer were then hit by a UPS tractor-trailer.
                https://news.yahoo.com/tour-bus-roll...l&uh_test=1_02

Comment

Pennsylvania has issued truck travel restrictions due to winter weather on I-80 and I-81. New York also issued speed restrictions on the thru-way.

PA & NY issue truck travel restrictions
                  On Friday morning, transportation authorities in Pennsylvania and New York issued travel restrictions due to a winter storm.
                  The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has issued a travel restriction that reduces speed limits to 45 and allows commercial vehicles to travel in the right lane only on the following roadways:

I-80 in both directions from the Ohio State Line to mile marker 195
                  I-81 in both directions from the New York State Line to I-84
                  https://cdllife.com/2020/pa-ny-issue...-restrictions/

Comment

Yesterday Pennsylvania announced the closure of all service centers and rest stops, including those on the Turnpike.

Pennsylvania Rest Areas and Welcome Centers Closed
                    Yesterday afternoon, PennDOT and the Pennsylvania Turnpike announced that rest areas and welcome centers are being shut down.
                    “All PennDOT rest areas and welcome centers statewide will be closed to the public effective 12:01 AM Tuesday, March 17, 2020. These rest area and welcome center closures are in addition to those previously announced in Montgomery, Delaware, Bucks and Chester counties,” PennDOT said in a statement.
                    Following that announcement, the Pennsylvania Turnpike announced that all Turnpike service plazas are also shutting down bathrooms and fast food locations.
                    Justifiably outraged truck drivers expressed their frustrations:
                    Adrienne Riel commented, “Closing restrooms?! We are NOT using porto-potties given the current situation, and no hand-washing. No thanks. You’re going to be finding a lot more messes along your shoulders and pull-off areas. Personally I’ll avoid taking the turnpike from now on. Just as easy and much cheaper to take I-80 to 322 to get to Harrisburg from Ohio, and better places to fuel and eat, too. Thanks for throwing us under the bus during a time of need, truckers and motorists alike.”
                    https://cdllife.com/2020/pennsylvani...enters-closed/

Comment

We have a welcome center in town here. They already had it closed to trucks from 7 PM to 7 AM . I can see why they are doing it but they should keep the rest rooms open. I believe the truckers in the article make a good valid point. Wash hands frequently?? Where ??

Comment

The welcome center by me is blocked off locked up tight.

Comment

The backwards pedal, which happens with the government.

PennDOT relents to truckers, agrees to (partially) reopen 13 rest stops
                          After furious backlash from the trucking community for closing all state rest stops for the COVID-19 crisis, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has agreed to reopen more than a dozen locations tomorrow.

PennDOT made the announcement just before 2 p.m. on Wednesday.
                          In order to address safety concerns raised, PennDOT has identified 13 of its 30 rest areas that are most utilized by truckers that will be available again by tomorrow. At these locations, we will be taking down the barricades on some facilities in critical locations and making them available for truck parking. Portable restroom facilities will be available at these locations; each location will have five portable toilets (one of which is ADA-accessible) that will be cleaned once a day. Electronic message signs will be used near the applicable centers to notify drivers near the opened areas. In order to prevent further spread of COVID-19, we will NOT be opening any of the indoor facilities because there is no staff to keep them clean and properly sanitized. We will continue to evaluate and will determine whether additional rest areas can be reopened.
                          https://cdllife.com/2020/penndot-rel...13-rest-stops/

Comment

Oops ... first they closed them ... now they open them.

PA Turnpike to reopen all 17 closed service plazas to support truckers amid COVID-19 crisis
                            The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission has agreed to reopen all of service plazas that they shuttered earlier this week for Coronavirus.
                            All 17 closed service plazas are set to reopen at 7 a.m. on Friday, March 20, according to a news release from the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission.
                            Restroom facilities will be available to drivers 24 hours per day starting at 7 a.m. on Friday. Porta-potties will remain in place for use at the service plaza locations for another week.
                            The service plazas will be offering limited food options for take-out only from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. Friday. After Friday, food will be served from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. except at North Midway and Valley Forge locations which will offer food 24/7.
                            https://cdllife.com/2020/pa-turnpike...vid-19-crisis/

Comment

This isn't a road advisory, but I know this road.
                              As a New Penn road man, our route down from Buffalo was a mixture of back roads and some real country bumpkin roads too.
                              Route 61 took us down though Centralia, the old town decimated by the underground coal fires. As we rode down into the old town there was one stop sign and a couple of turns before we almost dropped off the side of a mountain. Right after that the road turns south again onto a 4 lane unused portion of road that was closed to northbound traffic. If it was daylight, which I saw plenty of times coming home on a Friday night, I could look north, as I turned south, and saw the colorful writing all over the road.
                              Those roads were a mixture of rolling hills and dales. Some areas you could really get the truck rolling down those steep grades. Good thing New Penn was know for light loads.

Pennsylvania's colorful 'Graffiti Highway' is being shut down for good
                              Pennsylvania's "Graffiti Highway," an abandoned stretch of road that's become an unofficial tourist attraction, is being covered with truckloads of dirt to discourage trespassers.
                              The road, once part of Pennsylvania Route 61, has a colorful history. It was closed in 1993, because it was damaged by a coal fire that's been burning under the town of Centralia for more than 50 years, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.
                              The state says the area is extremely dangerous, but that hasn't stopped people from coming to see and add to the graffiti that covers the ¾-mile section over the last decade.
                              Centralia is about an hour northeast of Hershey, Pennsylvania, and was once home to about 1,200 people. It's now all but abandoned because of the fire.
                              Officials started the fire in 1962 to clean up a trash dump, but the flames ignited a seam of coal that runs under the town. It's been burning ever since, according to the state.
                              The US Congress allocated $42 million in 1984 to relocate homes and business in the town. The state says only five households remained in Centralia as of 2013.
                              Many of the town's properties have been demolished, but tourists still come to see what's left of the ghost town and the graffiti-covered highway, which occasionally has steam emanate from cracks in the asphalt.
                              I liked the area. Always thought it was like riding my motorcycle in the back woods.
                              Before getting into Centralia, the little town before that was Mt. Carmel. ( sounds like an Andy of Mayberry town ! ) there was a 24 hours Turkey Hill mini mart. Always good for a cup of joe in the middle of the night. The mini mart was right down the street from the Anthracite Fire Co., and old fire house with a bar upstairs. ( No, never visited it, or the bar ! )

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/g...rnd/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X