Documentaries and the truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentaries and the truth

Last month I tried a Netflix subscription just to watch the Irishman. Since I have been unhappy with standard cable TV selections, I wanted to give Netflix a shot at providing more content that I want to see. So far they have.

I knew that Ken Burns makes some fine documentaries with different subjects, but his war related ones capture my interest, because it provides the truth that we normally never received in any of those conflicts.

The first one I watched was "The Civil War". Today we talk of a divided country. It was divided in 1861, all over race and the slaves. Neither side would compromise and ultimately it ended with close to 750,000 deaths of Americans, from all races and all states. Did the north win ? I would say nobody won. But I learned of the many mistakes both sides made. What a horrible war.

Today I started watching the Vietnam War series. I had previously watched a couple of episode's on PBS, but they weren't in order. I wanted to watch from the beginning.
    Today was #1 & #2. What I took away from this was the fact that early on President Eisenhower stated in his diary that a Vietnam war was not winnable. Move on to President Kennedy, and he had the same thoughts, but they both continued the support of the war. The people interviewed also mentioned that they were lied to. Our government, the leaders being dishonest ? Always have been, and that is why it's important to call out the lies and the deceit. We need to hold them accountable. All of them.

Anyway I will continue watching at a later date.
    I found other good shows to watch also. "The Highwaymen" was a good movie, about Bonnie & Clyde.
    A western cop sheriff show was OK, "Longmire". I watched a few of those so far.
    Think I'll continue subscribing for a while.

Re: Documentaries and the truth

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Last month I tried a Netflix subscription just to watch the Irishman. Since I have been unhappy with standard cable TV selections, I wanted to give Netflix a shot at providing more content that I want to see. So far they have.

I knew that Ken Burns makes some fine documentaries with different subjects, but his war related ones capture my interest, because it provides the truth that we normally never received in any of those conflicts.

The first one I watched was "The Civil War". Today we talk of a divided country. It was divided in 1861, all over race and the slaves. Neither side would compromise and ultimately it ended with close to 750,000 deaths of Americans, from all races and all states. Did the north win ? I would say nobody won. But I learned of the many mistakes both sides made. What a horrible war.

Today I started watching the Vietnam War series. I had previously watched a couple of episode's on PBS, but they weren't in order. I wanted to watch from the beginning.
    Today was #1 & #2. What I took away from this was the fact that early on President Eisenhower stated in his diary that a Vietnam war was not winnable. Move on to President Kennedy, and he had the same thoughts, but they both continued the support of the war. The people interviewed also mentioned that they were lied to. Our government, the leaders being dishonest ? Always have been, and that is why it's important to call out the lies and the deceit. We need to hold them accountable. All of them.

Anyway I will continue watching at a later date.
    I found other good shows to watch also. "The Highwaymen" was a good movie, about Bonnie & Clyde.
    A western cop sheriff show was OK, "Longmire". I watched a few of those so far.
    Think I'll continue subscribing for a while.
    We ditched cable last year.. We have Hulu live.. pick the channels you like and save a ton of money.. They also have some good movies not available on other streaming services..I watched the "Irishman" and really was not impressed.. Although I did see they filmed in my old town home on Long Island.. And other places I am familiar with..But the story itself was drawn out ..

A good movie on Hulu live was "13 hours"..

Comment

I had satellite years ago and we just didn't watch that much tv. Closed the subscription down. A neighbor subscribed to Netflix for us as a Christmas present many years ago. We have kept that subscription going to this day. Like you I catch up on Ken Burns documentaries that I missed when they originally aired on PBS. I also watch several Canadian made series that would otherwise be seen on cable channels. My favorite is Heartland. I actually quit watching network tv decades ago and only watch PBS and Netflix. Netflix has many good Original series too. On a side note here, the fact Netflix has moved to NM and opened up a studio here is just fantastic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ABFwife View Post
        I had satellite years ago and we just didn't watch that much tv. Closed the subscription down. A neighbor subscribed to Netflix for us as a Christmas present many years ago. We have kept that subscription going to this day. Like you I catch up on Ken Burns documentaries that I missed when they originally aired on PBS. I also watch several Canadian made series that would otherwise be seen on cable channels. My favorite is Heartland. I actually quit watching network tv decades ago and only watch PBS and Netflix. Netflix has many good Original series too. On a side note here, the fact Netflix has moved to NM and opened up a studio here is just fantastic!!!
        I am quite happy so far with all the selections. I have only touched the tip of the iceberg with everything they offer. Cable has just fell on their face. Endless commercials and rerunning of the same old stuff, over and over.

Comment

I am quite happy so far with all the selections. I have only touched the tip of the iceberg with everything they offer. Cable has just fell on their face. Endless commercials and rerunning of the same old stuff, over and over.
          We acquired a simple antenna and have Netflix, Hulu accounts. Our satellite is on the way out.......

Comment

Its funny because I had lived without cable channels for years and when we bought the place we live in now, there was one of those huge satellite dishes so we signed up. I was shocked at how badly my favorite channels had become such as history channel. Nothing but UFO conspiracy theories and constant reruns. Netflix is so worth the 12.00 a month.

Comment

Our internet and cable was together. We dropped the cable and have Hulu or Roku....mabe Netflix too. I'm not sure I don't watch too much.
              Do you have to pay extra for "The Irishman" and "The 2 Pope's"?

Comment

Originally posted by slavenomore View Post
                Our internet and cable was together. We dropped the cable and have Hulu or Roku....mabe Netflix too. I'm not sure I don't watch too much.
                Do you have to pay extra for "The Irishman" and "The 2 Pope's"?
                You never pay extra for anything on Netflix. Just your monthly fee. You view anything, everything as many hours as you want and it still costs the same each month.

Comment

I downsize my direct TV to basic cable because I just got tired of watching movies I’ve already seen and also constantly repeating over and over !
                  Plus those movies are pass over, from HBO, showtime, Starz and all other channels, what I did now was to install Chromecast on all my TV’s around the house and mirror from my Phone, plus Netflix, Hulu, Primetime and Red YouTube are making their original movies and awesome TV shows.

Comment

I watched a few movies this past week on Netflix. I enjoy seeing so many different movies and documentaries that aren't available on regular cable.
                    Here are three of those I watched. All are true stories.

The Photographer of Mauthausen - This is a Spanish film with English subtitles. I had never heard of the Nazi camp Mauthausen which was located in Austria.

Alone in Berlin - A true story based on a couple that lost their only child during the war.

The Command - The story of the Russian sub Kursk and the politics that stopped the rescue efforts of some of the men.

I recommend them.

Comment

Watched another interesting movie last night on Netflix.
                      "The Devil's Mistress", a Czech movie ( subtitles ! ) based on the life of an actress leading up to Hitler's reign of terror and his cohorts in crime. The woman was Goebbels mistress for a short time.
                      Granted the movie ( like all movies ) are embellished, and are from the viewpoint of a director, yet it illustrated what the feelings were during that time in history from those outside Germany.
                      The movie was released in 2016, so I doubt it was in direct coloration to today's political events.

https://cineuropa.org/en/video/rdID/310748/f/t/

Comment

I like adding good movies to this list. Well at least those I think are good, or that have a message that resonates in today's world.

Yesterday I watched "Hell or High Water" with Jeff Bridges. He played a good part, sarcastic old white guy playing a Texas Ranger looking for bank robbers.
                        My wife and I laughed as we realized it was set in, and around, a desolate part of Texas, namely the town called "Post". Her Father was from that area around Post and we have heard all the stories from the family about how poor the area was, and still is.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582782/

Comment

Here is another interesting foreign film. It's Dutch with English subtitles. It cover's the WW2 era in and around the Netherlands.

"Riphagen: The Untouchable"

It is a true story, and quite disturbing how cruel some people can be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riphagen

Comment

Working...
                          X