Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Hoffa Takes Aim at Teamster Elections

Posted on February 17, 2020

Hoffa is retiring as General President at the end of next year, and he wants to take Teamster democracy with him. Last week, Hoffa told the press about a plan to block contested elections for International Union office, beginning in 2026. We can’t let that happen.

The nominating rules for the 2021 Teamster Election cannot be changed. Candidates who are nominated by five percent of the delegates at the Teamster Convention are guaranteed to appear on the ballot.

But Hoffa told the press that “he’s sure” that a proposal will come up to raise the nomination threshold.

That might seem reasonable. But if you think a five percent threshold is too low, think again.

Every Teamster election has revealed that the vote by Convention Delegates does not reflect the will of the members.
    Hoffa Takes Aim at Teamster Elections - Teamsters for a Democratic Union

2. Likes fxstc07, slavenomore Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Hoffa Takes Aim at Teamster Elections

I'm sure all have heard this already. It is now official and about time. Let's hope the members can move this union forward.

Teamsters chief James P. Hoffa won't seek re-election
    James P. Hoffa on Friday signaled the end of an era for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, telling The Detroit News he will not seek re-election just as the labor union this week makes a historic exit from government oversight.
    "I think it's time for the next generation to take over," the 78-year-old labor leader said. "We rebuilt this union. We've rebuilt our finances. We rebuilt the spirit. We put the swagger back in the union. ... I'm very proud of what we have done, but I also realize maybe it's time for the next generation to take over."
    When he steps down, the Hoffa family — James P. Hoffa and his father, Jimmy R. Hoffa — will have led the Teamsters for 37 years of the union's 117 years.
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...on/4827018002/

4. Likes ABFwife, 222lifer Liked this post