No announcement yet.

Corona virus and the Stimulus bill..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corona virus and the Stimulus bill..

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post
    What are you attempting to spin into the ground this time ? Your reading something into this that was never said, nor mentioned.
    I got it.. Not trying to spin anything.. I am not the one that brought up Lobbyists..

Comment

I think at this point whatever we need to do to keep people going, to keep the economy going. The big companies are getting huge bailouts. Let's for a change bail out families.

Democratic senators propose $2,000 monthly payments to most Americans
      Markey (D-Mass.) will release their Monthly Economic Crisis Support Act. It would dramatically expand upon the $1,200 sent to Americans as part of March’s gargantuan coronavirus response bill.
      The legislation would send a monthly $2,000 check to people who make less than $120,000. It would expand to $4,000 to married couples who file taxes jointly and also provide $2,000 for each child up to three. Harris said the bill is a reflection that Congress’s efforts so far were not “nearly enough to meet the needs of this historic crisis” and Markey called the massive cash infusion “the most direct and efficient mechanism for delivering economic relief to those most vulnerable.”
      The payments would be retroactive to March and last until three months after the Health and Human Services Department has declared the public health emergency over. The legislation would also bar debt collectors from taking the payments, and would deliver them regardless of whether people have a Social Security number or filed taxes last year.
      https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/newsl...cid=spartandhp

Comment

I am sure this is the tip of a giant iceberg.

Coronavirus stimulus fraud arrest: How a small-town tip exposed a $500K fraud scheme
        What started as a tip that landed on a small-town Massachusetts police chief’s desk led to charges against two men who allegedly tried defrauding the government of thousands of novel coronavirus relief dollars.
        The 2,800-person town of Berlin's police department was investigating a case involving liquor licensing when Chief Thomas Galvin received information in connection to what he suspected was a possible COVID-19 crime scheme, he told FOX Business.
        His tip to the FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office led to the first arrests nationwide for alleged Small Business Administration Paycheck Protection Program loan fraud.
        David A. Staveley, 52, and 51-year-old David Butziger were charged Monday for allegedly working together in seeking $543,959 in SBA PPP loans from April 6 to April 27, according to affidavits pertaining to their arrests.
        They allegedly claimed to employ dozens of workers at four nonfunctioning businesses when there were actually “little to no employees working for any of the listed entities” – and court papers show they emailed each other about their sleazy plans.
        https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coron...190333935.html

Comment

I wanted to share an article from the Wall Street Journal but that is a subscription site. If you can even go view the first couple of paragraphs, it is well worth it. Says the next stimulus bill will depend on people going back to work. Really? It claims like 95% of people can live of unemployment and savings for six weeks. Well here in NM we have been closed down for two months, we are just now starting to reopen some non essential businesses but all kinds of businesses are still closed due to mandate and I am sure many will never reopen. My household is fine but I know for a fact many are not! Republicans and their nonsense just sent me right over the edge this morning. They are so afraid the stimulus makes people stay home rather than work. Work where??????

Comment

Originally posted by ABFwife View Post
            I wanted to share an article from the Wall Street Journal but that is a subscription site. If you can even go view the first couple of paragraphs, it is well worth it. Says the next stimulus bill will depend on people going back to work. Really? It claims like 95% of people can live of unemployment and savings for six weeks. Well here in NM we have been closed down for two months, we are just now starting to reopen some non essential businesses but all kinds of businesses are still closed due to mandate and I am sure many will never reopen. My household is fine but I know for a fact many are not! Republicans and their nonsense just sent me right over the edge this morning. They are so afraid the stimulus makes people stay home rather than work. Work where??????
            PA is slowly starting to reopen but not where we are.. There is someone locally that posted a list of all the businesses that have closed permanently in Eastern PA.. The list is quite long.. Many restaurants included.. As far as the stimulus bill.. $1200 didn't help most folks that were out of work and couldn't get unemployment.. Doubt the next one will either.. The new stimulus bill will never get into the senate.. Way too much pork added to it..If you really want to get Congress to act quickly all you have to do is stop paying them and then they can feel the pain of the working people..

Comment

Here is a little more about Pelozi's "heroes act".. And I do believe that all essential workers should get something.. From the supermarket workers to the doctors..

Pelosi’s ‘HEROES Act’ Gives Big-Money Bailouts To Abortion Businesses

https://www.sarahpalin.com/2020/05/1...lKDGhvk7WqUyYE

The new $3 trillion stimulus package that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi recently pushed through her legislative chamber has Planned Parenthood jumping for joy.

The largest spending bill in congressional history intends to give them a big slice of the pie: a millions-of-dollars bailout for missed revenue due to coronavirus-related governmental lockdowns.

“Not to act now is not only irresponsible in a humanitarian way, it is irresponsible because it’s only going to cost more,” Pelosi said about her proposal. “More in terms of lives, livelihood, cost to the budget, cost to our democracy.”

While the bill stands virtually no chance to pass the Senate or to be signed into law by President Trump, Pelosi was sure to include Planned Parenthood in her partisan priorities.

And the organization was quick to thank Pelosi for considering them.

“Thank you to @SpeakerPelosi for leading the #HeroesAct through passage in the House,” Planned Parenthood tweeted. “Now, there is no time to waste. The Senate must take action immediately and provide relief for the essential workers and caregivers on the frontlines of this crisis.”

Comment

This story is about how many trucking companies received bailout funds.

Over 3,000 Trucking Companies Received PPP Loans
                More than 3,000 trucking companies received at least $150,000 in funds from the Paycheck Protection Program.
                This week, the Small Business Administration (SBA) released a report that listed all businesses that received PPP loans.
                According to the SBA press release 4.9 million loans have been granted.
                In total, 3,205 trucking companies applied for loans of $150,000 or more. Thirty-three trucking companies received between $5 and $10 million in PPP loans.
                Companies with fewer than 500 employees can still apply for the remaining $130 million in unspent PPP funds. The deadline to apply has been extended to August 8.
                https://cdllife.com/2020/over-3000-t...ved-ppp-loans/

Comment

I would say the justice department is going to have their hands full chasing the crooks and thieves over these stimulus funds.
                  This guy was a real piece of work. Seems he even got over on Fedex.

Utah Trucker Already Under Indictment Faces New Fraud Charges
                  Utah trucking company owner already under federal indictment for his participation in a “pay-to-play” scheme has been charged with lying on a federal loan application to secure a $210,000 COVID-19 small business loan under the federal Paycheck Protection Program.
                  Federal authorities said that Hubert Ugarte, 52, of Draper, owner of Frisbu Trucking Inc. of Salt Lake City, was arrested June 25 on four counts including wire fraud, conspiracy and removal of property to prevent seizure, loan application fraud and money laundering.
                  Lisa Bradshaw Rowberry, 49, of Provo, Frisbu’s controller, also is charged in the case.
                  In October, Ugarte was arrested in a separate case on federal criminal charges of paying bribes over an eight-year period totaling about $490,000 to Ryan Mower, a top executive in Utah for FedEx Ground. In return for the bribes, the indictment alleges that Ugarte fraudulently received priority assigned runs and covered up failed contractual performances and falsely reported miles to gain unearned income. At the time of his arrest, Ugarte owned approximately 20 trucking companies operating more than 40 tractors, and received about $90 million in FedEx revenue.
                  https://www.ttnews.com/articles/utah...-fraud-charges

Comment

It could be this has already been posted on the site but I couldn't find it. This really, really irritates me. All as they bitch about giving the unemployed that $600.00 a week. My daughter needs that! Millions of people do! And didn't I read something about the bill also including remodeling of FBI building or that Trump was requesting something like that? What a joke!

GOP sneaks $8 billion for military weapons into coronavirus relief bill
                    WASHINGTON (AP) — A new $1 trillion COVID-19 response package by Senate Republicans is supposed to give the government more weapons to battle the surging coronavirus pandemic. But GOP lawmakers have more than just the “invisible enemy” in mind.

The Republican measure includes billions for F-35 fighters, Apache helicopters and infantry carriers sought by Washington’s powerful defense lobby. Overall, the proposal stuffs $8 billion into Pentagon weapons systems built by defense contractors like Boeing, Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics — corporate titans that sit atop the Washington influence industry.

The bill, drafted by Senate Appropriations Committee Chair Richard Shelby, R-Ala., would deposit $2.2 billion in Pentagon shipbuilding accounts, boost missile defense systems in California and Alaska and deliver about $1.4 billion for C-130 transport planes and F-35 fighters manufactured by Lockheed Martin Corp. Some of the F-35s could be delivered to an Air National Guard unit in Montgomery, Alabama.

In several cases, Shelby proposes restoring cuts imposed by the administration that diverted almost $4 billion to help pay for construction of President Donald Trump’s border wall. The Pentagon won significant defense increases last year with passage of a budget agreement that erased automatic spending cuts known as sequestration.
                    https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...s-relief-bill/

Comment

Workers Protest End Of $600 Unemployment Supplement; Jobless In Florida Stuck With Lowest Benefit In Nation

This is just so wrong and there is no way this is going to do our country any good. I took someone off my fb yesterday as she went on about people getting free money instead of going to work. Going to work where???? I will not put up with listening to that hate if I have any control over it. I guarantee you this will affect my state heavily too!

July 31, 2020

Workers in Miami protested Friday against losing federal Unemployment Insurance benefits of $600 weekly that jobless people were receiving in the pandemic economy due to massive job losses.
                      That leaves jobless workers in Florida reliant on a $275 weekly state benefit that includes only 12 weeks of unemployment pay — the lowest total benefit in the nation, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. (The base number of weeks does not reflect the 13-week extension authorized by Congress for COVID-19 relief.)
                      "We are feeling the pain of the pandemic through no fault of our own. There are no jobs for people to find," said Jeffrey Mitchell, president of the South Florida AFL-CIO and of Transit Workers Union Local 291, who was interviewed by the Phoenix.

"Nobody is sitting at home thinking that $600 a week would get them to the promised land."
                      https://patch.com/florida/across-fl/...a-stuck-lowest

Comment

If I sound very angry this morning, it's because I am! Our homeless problem in this country was already out of control since the crash of 2008. All that time and nothing has made a dent in the problem. Now this. I see nothing good coming to this country if something is not done very quickly.

Tsunami of evictions underway as moratoriums end

BALTIMORE (AP) — Kelyn Yanez used to clean homes during the day and wait tables at night in the Houston area before the coronavirus. But the mother of three lost both jobs in March because of the pandemic and now is facing eviction.

The Honduran immigrant got help from a local church to pay part of July’s rent but was still hundreds of dollars short and is now awaiting a three-day notice to vacate the apartment where she lives with her children. She has no idea how she will meet her August rent.

“Right now, I have nothing,” said Yanez, who briefly got her bar job back when the establishment reopened, but lost it again when she and her 4-year-old daughter contracted the virus in June and had to quarantine. The apartment owners “don’t care if you’re sick, if you’re not well. Nobody cares here. They told me that I had to have the money.”

Yanez is among some 23 million people nationwide at risk of being evicted, according to The Aspen Institute, as moratoriums enacted because of the coronavirus expire and courts reopen. Around 30 state moratoriums have expired since May, according to The Eviction Lab at Princeton University. On top of that, some tenants were already encountering illegal evictions even with the moratoriums.
                        https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...ratoriums-end/

Comment

Originally posted by ABFwife View Post
                          If I sound very angry this morning, it's because I am! Our homeless problem in this country was already out of control since the crash of 2008. All that time and nothing has made a dent in the problem. Now this. I see nothing good coming to this country if something is not done very quickly.

Tsunami of evictions underway as moratoriums end

https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...ratoriums-end/
                          The homeless population in our city is increasing as well ABFwife.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

I originally didn't want to vote this year after Bernie dropped out of race. I have changed my mind!!!!

GOP fiddles as jobless cavalcade continues and pandemic rages
                            WASHINGTON—Congressional Republicans fiddled and made no moves to help the unemployed, as the cavalcade of jobless workers continued in the week ending August 1. And the fiddling may come back to haunt them in November, polls show.

In those seven days ending August 1, another 984,192 people sought state jobless benefits, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on August 6. But when BLS adjusted the actual number for seasonal factors—such as teenagers who should be seeking summer jobs that aren’t there—the total was 1.186 million.

Another 655,707 people filed for the $600 weekly federal-only jobless benefits in the week ending August 1. They’re home health care workers, farmworkers, “independent contractors,” and workers such as musicians and actors who have lost their gigs.

They’re also the ones who are now hurt as the Republicans followed Nero’s example and fiddled while Rome burns, so to speak. Eligibility for those $600 checks ended July 31 when the program expired. Not coincidentally, an outsized share of those now-hurting workers are people of color.

But the Republicans, under the whip of President Donald Trump and particularly Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., don’t want to keep the $600 checks coming. The most McConnell grudgingly offers in his version of the next economic aid package is $200 weekly. And almost half of his Senate GOP caucus wants to give the jobless workers zip.
                            https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...andemic-rages/

Comment

I'm so fed up!!! This is affecting a family member very badly along with millions of other people in this country!

Jobless crisis worsens: Army of the unemployed grows by more than 1.7 million

While BLS, which is non-partisan, didn’t discuss the political implications of the rise in jobless claims or the end of the federal jobless checks, speakers at the virtual Democratic National Convention did. So did the Economic Policy Institute.

“Because of Donald Trump’s failures, we must rescue a sinking economy,” said former Obama Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, now a Los Angeles County supervisor.

“It’s wrong for billionaires to get richer” from the Trump-GOP $2 trillion tax cut of 2017, “while millions lost their $600 a week,” said former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the party’s 2016 nominee. She lost the Electoral College vote to Trump despite winning the popular vote by 3 million.

“Last week was the third week of unemployment in this pandemic for which recipients did not get the extra $600,” EPI Policy Director Heidi Shierholz said. “That means people on unemployment insurance are now forced to get by on the meager benefits which are in place without the extra payment, which are typically around 40% of their pre-virus earnings. It goes without saying that most folks can’t exist on 40% of prior earnings without experiencing a sharp drop in living standards and enormous pain.
                              https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...n-1-7-million/

Comment

Working...
                              X