Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Default Re: Undocumented workers keep the economy going, but get no bailout help

Quote Originally Posted by fedexnuno View Post
    I am gonna have to agree with you on this of course they are pocketing that money
    I know it happens because it happened to me.. The last two years I worked for Barkers dept stores {my first teamster job}the guy signing then checks never paid the Social Security taxes he deducted from our paychecks.. I didn't find out till SS started sending statements in the late 90's.. I called NY state and they told me the only way the guy got away with it is because out of 50 employees not one of them showed up for an audit.. But justice was done as he wound up in jail anyway for tax evasion..

2. Likes 2631 Liked this post
    Resistance is futile.

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC-Roadway

Default Re: Undocumented workers keep the economy going, but get no bailout help

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    It appears they are tax payers although I don't quite understand how this works if they don't have valid SS #'s. I know when I worked at the factory in CA I have mentioned many times, they would very frequently come in the office with new SS#'s every so many months. I don't know the process, I don't know what they were doing but if they kept bringing in new numbers, something was not right but they must have been paying taxes otherwise they wouldn't need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Maybe stolen Social security numbers??
    Quote Originally Posted by 2631 View Post
    Which allowed them to work but didn't get credit for the taxes that were withheld from their pay.
    Just wondering when its identity theft why should they profit from that?

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Just wondering when its identity theft why should they profit from that?
    Jimmy until they,the government, up the fines for hiring illegals this will continue.. All they get is a slap on the wrist so to say..

5. Likes ABFwife, 2631 Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

This goes directly against what the government says on one hand and what they do on the other.

A Former Farmworker on American Hypocrisy
    Today, hundreds of thousands of immigrants from Mexico and Central America are doing that work. By the Department of Agriculture’s estimates, about half the country’s field hands — more than a million workers — are undocumented. Growers and labor contractors estimate that the real proportion is closer to 75 percent.
    Suddenly, in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, these “illegal” workers have been deemed “essential” by the federal government.
    Tino, an undocumented worker from Oaxaca, Mexico, is hoeing asparagus on the same farm where my family once worked. He picks tomatoes in the summer and melons in the fall. He told me his employer has given him a letter — tucked inside his wallet, next to a picture of his family — assuring any who ask that he is “critical to the food supply chain.” The letter was sanctioned by the Department of Homeland Security, the same agency that has spent 17 years trying to deport him.
    “I don’t feel this letter will stop la migra from deporting me,” Tino told me. “But it makes me feel I may have a chance in this country, even though Americans may change their minds tomorrow.”
    True to form, America still wants it both ways. It wants to be fed. And it wants to demonize the undocumented immigrants who make that happen.
    Recently, President Trump tweeted that he would “temporarily suspend immigration into the United States” — a threat consistent with the hit-the-immigrant-like-a-piņata policy he spearheaded in his 2016 campaign. Less than 24 hours later, the president backed down in the face of business groups fearful of losing access to foreign labor, announcing that he’d keep the guest worker program.
    “The hypocrisy within America is that we want the fruits of their undocumented labor, but we want to give them nothing in return,” she said.
    Even with unemployment projected to be 15 percent or higher, Mr. Del Bosque told me he doubts he’ll ever see a line of job-seeking Americans flocking to his fields. The rare few who have shown up at 5:30 a.m. don’t come back. Some, he said, give up the backbreaking work before their first lunch break.
    Texas ranchers argued during one of America’s cyclical anti-immigrant periods, that the hiring of Mexicans should not be considered a felony. Thus, the Texas Proviso was adopted in 1952, stating that employing unauthorized workers would not constitute “harboring or concealing” them. This helps explain why Americans call immigrants “illegal” but not the businesses that hire them.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/o...gtype=Homepage

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    This goes directly against what the government says on one hand and what they do on the other.

A Former Farmworker on American Hypocrisy

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/o...gtype=Homepage
    There is still a little bit of confusion on this subject.. Yes the government has said the migrants are considered essential but I have never heard them say the "illegal" migrants are essential..

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

I suppose they left from where they came from because there was no money.
    The option is now there to do what they did before.
    There's no money here. And alot of places may never open again. The places who do open should hire those who came in the right way. $20 Trillion in debt.. We can't be giving any to those who do not belong. And should they leave, they should hold their resentments towards those who convinced them that it was ok to come here illegally. Because it is not. They should turn in everybody who was part of the system which brought and kept them here illegally.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

More of the government hypocrisy on immigrant labor.

Teamsters Denounce DHS Policy Change Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
    (WASHINGTON) – The following is a statement from Teamsters Dairy and Food Processing Division Director Rome Aloise regarding the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announcement that it will be suspending limits on the H2-B visa program and permitting companies in the U.S. food supply chain to hire or extend the stay of temporary workers:

“At a time when Americans all across the country are realizing just how indispensable their fellow citizens in the food supply chain are to the foundation of our entire way of life, DHS has chosen to put those exact same people in the crosshairs of a deadly pandemic. The agency has made it easier for companies in the food supply chain to get around the safety measures required at union workplaces at a time when COVID-19 transmissions are growing explosively in this industry.

“There has been no significant action taken to protect these essential service workers from COVID-19 transmission, so labor unions and existing federal laws are the only protections that these men and women have. Guest workers who are unfamiliar with these protections or rights are especially vulnerable to retaliation if they seek a safer workplace. Expanding the food supply chain to include more workers who are going to be threatened for trying to protect themselves on the job without addressing the underlying issue of unsafe working conditions will cause more guest workers, American workers and consumers to possibly die because of this pandemic.”
    https://teamster.org/news/2020/05/te...id-19-pandemic

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    More of the government hypocrisy on immigrant labor.

Teamsters Denounce DHS Policy Change Amid COVID-19 Pandemic

https://teamster.org/news/2020/05/te...id-19-pandemic
    Their response will be more automation. And they will say we wanted it.
    Better make contracts require pension contributions for as many workers the robots displace......good luck on that and good luck on any of us Recieving livable retirement and SS money.
    Better start looking for a 1 room shack now.
    Last edited by slavenomore; 05-23-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12