Undocumented workers keep the economy going, but get no bailout help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undocumented workers keep the economy going, but get no bailout help

I know that payments to CA undocumented were discussed in another thread that got out of control. Here is the flip side of this topic. Let's keep this thread civil! ABFwife Administrator

Our story is not unique—it is the same story 11 million undocumented people live every single day in the United States. However, something extremely “out of the ordinary” is now leaving many of these families without their livelihood: the COVID-19 pandemic.

COVID-19 has devoured the country’s health care system and led to what’s been called the “deepest global recession in history.” As an attempt to provide some relief to struggling Americans and businesses, Congress recently passed a $2 trillion stimulus and bailout package.

But the deal they negotiated gave a cold shoulder to the backbone of our economy: 11 million people and their families currently living in desperation. The stimulus bill, in short, simply left out undocumented people.

In 2018, a typical year, undocumented immigrants contributed around $20 billion in federal taxes, plus nearly $12 billion in state and local taxes. But because people need a valid Social Security Number to benefit from federal financial assistance, they’re getting completely left out of the stimulus their own tax dollars paid for.
    https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...-bailout-help/

Re: Undocumented workers keep the economy going, but get no bailout help

Originally posted by ABFwife View Post
    I know that payments to CA undocumented were discussed in another thread that got out of control. Here is the flip side of this topic. Let's keep this thread civil! ABFwife Administrator

I understand how you feel about the illegals.. But there are many Americans that in a lot of ways been left out also.. Those who are self employed who cannot access unemployment benefits ..Then there are millions have have yet to receive any stimulus check.. And then would wonder if any other country in the world would give money to someone who is in their country unauthorized..Maybe a jail cell.. But going back to the illegals.. We the taxpayers will be on hook for all of it.. Then you wonder how much might be sent back to the countries they came from.. Their is a difference between those here on work visa's {migrant farm workers} compared to those who came illegally.. like hopping the fence..

Comment

Answer pretty simple, become a legal citizen, get a social security number and receive all the benefits of being a US citizen.

Comment

Civil????....This is only going to further the divide that resides in this country ABFwife,with VALID points on both sides of that divide...They're are no easy answers,but you can be damn sure that politicians in BOTH parties will 'further' that divide even more...Not looking good...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy View Post
          I understand how you feel about the illegals.. But there are many Americans that in a lot of ways been left out also.. Those who are self employed who cannot access unemployment benefits ..Then there are millions have have yet to receive any stimulus check.. And then would wonder if any other country in the world would give money to someone who is in their country unauthorized..Maybe a jail cell.. But going back to the illegals.. We the taxpayers will be on hook for all of it.. Then you wonder how much might be sent back to the countries they came from.. Their is a difference between those here on work visa's {migrant farm workers} compared to those who came illegally.. like hopping the fence..
          In 2018, a typical year, undocumented immigrants contributed around $20 billion in federal taxes, plus nearly $12 billion in state and local taxes. But because people need a valid Social Security Number to benefit from federal financial assistance, they’re getting completely left out of the stimulus their own tax dollars paid for.
          It appears they are tax payers although I don't quite understand how this works if they don't have valid SS #'s. I know when I worked at the factory in CA I have mentioned many times, they would very frequently come in the office with new SS#'s every so many months. I don't know the process, I don't know what they were doing but if they kept bringing in new numbers, something was not right but they must have been paying taxes otherwise they wouldn't need them.

Comment

It appears they are tax payers although I don't quite understand how this works if they don't have valid SS #'s. I know when I worked at the factory in CA I have mentioned many times, they would very frequently come in the office with new SS#'s every so many months. I don't know the process, I don't know what they were doing but if they kept bringing in new numbers, something was not right but they must have been paying taxes otherwise they wouldn't need them.
            Maybe stolen Social security numbers??

Comment

Which allowed them to work but didn't get credit for the taxes that were withheld from their pay.

Comment

Originally posted by 2631 View Post
                Which allowed them to work but didn't get credit for the taxes that were withheld from their pay.
                Maybe their employers just pocketed the money..

Comment

That’s because many of them would travel down to downtown L.A to MacArthur park, and purchase a SS or a ID/D.L card, years ago they did a segment on the News about people selling documents on MacArthur park.

Comment

Maybe their employers just pocketed the money..
                    I am gonna have to agree with you on this of course they are pocketing that money

Comment

Originally posted by fedexnuno View Post
                      I am gonna have to agree with you on this of course they are pocketing that money
                      I know it happens because it happened to me.. The last two years I worked for Barkers dept stores {my first teamster job}the guy signing then checks never paid the Social Security taxes he deducted from our paychecks.. I didn't find out till SS started sending statements in the late 90's.. I called NY state and they told me the only way the guy got away with it is because out of 50 employees not one of them showed up for an audit.. But justice was done as he wound up in jail anyway for tax evasion..

Comment

Originally posted by 2631 View Post
                        Just wondering when its identity theft why should they profit from that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                          Just wondering when its identity theft why should they profit from that?
                          Jimmy until they,the government, up the fines for hiring illegals this will continue.. All they get is a slap on the wrist so to say..

Comment

This goes directly against what the government says on one hand and what they do on the other.

A Former Farmworker on American Hypocrisy
                            Today, hundreds of thousands of immigrants from Mexico and Central America are doing that work. By the Department of Agriculture’s estimates, about half the country’s field hands — more than a million workers — are undocumented. Growers and labor contractors estimate that the real proportion is closer to 75 percent.
                            Suddenly, in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, these “illegal” workers have been deemed “essential” by the federal government.
                            Tino, an undocumented worker from Oaxaca, Mexico, is hoeing asparagus on the same farm where my family once worked. He picks tomatoes in the summer and melons in the fall. He told me his employer has given him a letter — tucked inside his wallet, next to a picture of his family — assuring any who ask that he is “critical to the food supply chain.” The letter was sanctioned by the Department of Homeland Security, the same agency that has spent 17 years trying to deport him.
                            “I don’t feel this letter will stop la migra from deporting me,” Tino told me. “But it makes me feel I may have a chance in this country, even though Americans may change their minds tomorrow.”
                            True to form, America still wants it both ways. It wants to be fed. And it wants to demonize the undocumented immigrants who make that happen.
                            Recently, President Trump tweeted that he would “temporarily suspend immigration into the United States” — a threat consistent with the hit-the-immigrant-like-a-piñata policy he spearheaded in his 2016 campaign. Less than 24 hours later, the president backed down in the face of business groups fearful of losing access to foreign labor, announcing that he’d keep the guest worker program.
                            “The hypocrisy within America is that we want the fruits of their undocumented labor, but we want to give them nothing in return,” she said.
                            Even with unemployment projected to be 15 percent or higher, Mr. Del Bosque told me he doubts he’ll ever see a line of job-seeking Americans flocking to his fields. The rare few who have shown up at 5:30 a.m. don’t come back. Some, he said, give up the backbreaking work before their first lunch break.
                            Texas ranchers argued during one of America’s cyclical anti-immigrant periods, that the hiring of Mexicans should not be considered a felony. Thus, the Texas Proviso was adopted in 1952, stating that employing unauthorized workers would not constitute “harboring or concealing” them. This helps explain why Americans call immigrants “illegal” but not the businesses that hire them.
                            https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/o...gtype=Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post
                              This goes directly against what the government says on one hand and what they do on the other.

A Former Farmworker on American Hypocrisy

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/o...gtype=Homepage
                              There is still a little bit of confusion on this subject.. Yes the government has said the migrants are considered essential but I have never heard them say the "illegal" migrants are essential..

Comment

Working...
                              X