Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Late-Breaking Bulletin PBS: “For Many Americans, Health Insurance is Tied to a Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Late-Breaking Bulletin PBS: “For Many Americans, Health Insurance is Tied to a Job

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/05...tied-to-a-job/

“Consequences of the unemployment driven by the novel coronavirus pandemic will reverberate through the U.S. economy for months, if not years,” “P:BS reported, adding this: “One result: as millions of Americans lose their jobs, they are also losing their health care coverage — and for many, there aren’t affordable insurance alternatives — and now they have neither.” The story had a stark title: “For Many Americans, Health Insurance is Tied to a Job – and Now They Have Neither.”

The “NewsHour’s” report was accurate and unnerving, full of first-person accounts from workers laid off from their jobs and removed from health insurance by the 2020 coronavirus recession:

Paul Solman: Case in point, asthmatic Robert Laurence, whose low-paying gigs have never come with benefits.

Robert Laurence: I was a trash collector. I was — they call them brand ambassadors. I worked at a call center.

Paul Solman: Health insurance is a luxury simply he can’t afford.

Robert Laurence: You kind of have a choice. You know, do I pay my car payment or do I get my inhaler?

Paul Solman: But aren’t you worried, even though you’re obviously quite young, there’s a pandemic out there, something really bad could happen to you, and you have no coverage?

Robert Laurence: I’m very worried about it. It’s just that I don’t have the money to really buy into that system. And, hopefully, I can get a better position. But, you know, the future is kind of looking bleak.

Paul Solman: And the economics of COVID-19 could make things bleak for years to come.

Anne Case (“NewsHour”-approved policy expert): It’s possible that many, many, many people will get tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of medical bills that they cannot pay.

Paul Solman: Frank Johnson hopes he isn’t one of them. So what happens if you get sick?

Frank Johnson: I’m just praying that I don’t get sick. And just hopefully, you know, not, nothing happens and nobody around me gets infected.

Thanks, “P”BS. Gee, who knew?
    Thanks Trump...Again
    3D568C64-DB5F-40FA-9FC7-4F483971A42C.jpeg
Working...
X