In Twenty Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In Twenty Years

I don't have years, amounts or any other facts but I do remember husband used to haul a lot of Amazon freight to Phoenix quite some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ABFwife View Post
      I don't have years, amounts or any other facts but I do remember husband used to haul a lot of Amazon freight to Phoenix quite some time ago.
      I retired in Feb 2013 so it had to be before than..

Comment

Originally posted by crazy View Post
        I retired in Feb 2013 so it had to be before than..
        It was. As I said, it was quite some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
          I wish the Union could get more trucking members but thats long gone. Trucking was the Teamsters. Teamsters was Trucking. I am surprised that ABF has been so solid and has not fallen to the financial issues that YRCW has. They have been a super well ran company for such a long time.
          Yes Jimmy,ABF is,and has always been a well-run company,as well as one of the most respected trucking companies in the freight industry,by customer and carrier alike...ABF has always made money,and one of the keys to their success is the fact that ABF will never take freight that they're not making money on,simple as that...As a matter of fact,through the years,ABF has lost many good customers to that fact alone...Say what?...You want us to 'match' that 92% discount that the NONS are giving you...Bye-Bye and good luck...That's how they stay in business,by being smart,price-wise...And for the record,some of those same customers came back to ABF proclaiming,we'll pay more using ABF,but at least we know our freight will get there in a timely manner and not lost or damaged...How's the old saying go...''You get what you pay for''...

Teamsters in trucking was Hoffa Senior's crowning achievement,and in 1976 we were about 2 million strong,and all shot to hell because of deregulation,but we've been trying for years to educate the non-union outfits,which mostly in this day and age,involves minority communities,especially Latino's...I'm a 40 plus year Teamster and still kicking it,still working a peddle,as a matter of fact this past Friday,being the end of the month,and between vacations and book-offs(has always been the case during the summer on Mondays and Fridays),went out with 8 deliveries and was dispatched 13 pu's,shorthanded,see what you can do,I thought I was back at APA...Giddy-Up!!!!!

The point I'm trying to make is this,all the nons in my peddle area know me as a worker,and they respect that,just as I respect them,and they know it,so they talk and confide in me...'They just don't know' when it comes to Unions...Most of these young men are younger than my youngest daughter,so there's not only a cultural gap,there's a generational gap as well...I explain to them the benefits and protections of a Union and how it would be so much more beneficial to themselves and their families...'They just don't know'...Will I be driving?...Will I have to work the dock?...What's the story with your pension?...What about Union dues?...How much will I pay for medical?...And you know what else is a contributing factor?...The financial situation that's been going on for years at YRC...Management at non-union companies have been beating their employees over the head with it,blaming it of course,ALL on the Unions...Not true,I explain it all to them...They listen,but I can see the skepticism in their faces...They're young and they've been brainwashed from the get-go that Unions are corrupt and bad for business...'They just don't know'...They just accept the fact they have a good paying job and this is how it is...Can I blame them?...No I cannot!!!!

Comment

That is the real irony to the union non union debate. The nonunion companies make their employees think it’s them against us union drivers but it’s not it’s them against themselves they drive us down they keep their wages and benefits low it’s all about letting them defeat themselves

Comment

Originally posted by MULER View Post
              That is the real irony to the union non union debate. The nonunion companies make their employees think it’s them against us union drivers but it’s not it’s them against themselves they drive us down they keep their wages and benefits low it’s all about letting them defeat themselves
              Sometimes the union drivers can be their own worst enemy.. I worked with guys that thought that there were two kind of workers, union and scabs.. The use of the word 'scab' is a word that many non union guys do not like.. A scab is someone who crosses a union picket line.. I have worked both sides of the isle and many of the non union guys I knew would never cross a line but we had union guys still calling them scabs because they were working non union.. Not the best way to try and increase the membership..

Comment

Is it just me or does this site feel friendlier. Can’t quite put my finger on why. It will come to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MULER View Post
                  Is it just me or does this site feel friendlier. Can’t quite put my finger on why. It will come to me.
                  It is friendlier Muler... almost as friendly as the reception Trump always gets.

Comment

Working...
                  X