Maintenance could be an issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance could be an issue ?

This story made the news as a USF Reddaway truck plowed into a store with the driver in the trailer attempting to unload. Brake failure is listed as the cause.

Unmanned rig rolls straight into sushi restaurant after ‘colossal’ brake failure
    Police are blaming a ‘colossal’ brake failure after a tractor trailer rolled into the side of a Japanese restaurant on Friday.
    The accident happened on September 25th at around 2 p.m. in Port Angeles, Washington.
    Port Angeles Police say that the tractor trailer was stopped at Thurman Supply on East Front Street to make one of its final deliveries when the driver locked the air brakes on the rig and headed into the trailer. As the driver worked inside of the trailer, the air brakes on the tractor apparently failed, sending the nearly-empty truck rolling down a steep hill.
    As the rig rolled, it struck a nearby pickup truck, spun it around, and pushed it partway down the hill, which knocked the pickup driver to the ground. The semi truck then rolled through an alley and into the side of Okasan Restaurant, where it came to a stop four feet inside of the lobby and bathroom area of the restaurant.
    The driver of the pickup was taken to a nearby hospital with minor injuries but was released later that day. No other injuries have been reported.
    https://cdllife.com/2020/unmanned-ri...brake-failure/

Re: Maintenance could be an issue ?

The driver was in the trailer unloading? What a horrible feeling that must have been as his rig plowed into things.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Maintenance could be an issue ?

That’s a reason why one should never leave a truck run with it in neutral and the brakes set. This happened to my dad years ago only he wasn’t in the truck but inside the place of business. I’m not saying this truck was left running but rather just stating a statement. I’m sure we all have left a truck idle or even just parked with the truck in neutral with the brakes set.

We should always make sure when parked that a truck is left in gear with the truck brakes set and the ignition turned off. Hell I’m guilty of this myself. One thing I don’t know is that the truck I drive is an automatic so with the truck turned off does it have some sort of parking transmission brake or is it just a neutral gear while parked and off.

Comment

Working...
      X