Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

  1. #41
    Getting In The Groove Now.

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Local Union
    264
    Employer
    u suck foods
    Location
    beefalo
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    Well, that brown nosing exhibition is about enough to make any Teamster puke.

    Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    this is what i mean, i guess spaghetti had a better barn to work at, but im surrounded by a bunch of ass kissers!! these are the same guys who dont vote anyway!

  2. #42
    Banned

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Local Union
    710
    Employer
    retired
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,716
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    I just wonder what your point is or if you even have one? You don't seem to want to face the facts so off we go to dervish land again? It makes me wonder.......Do you still have the same disdain for those former big "R" employees or have you had a change of heart?


    Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    What does big "R" employees have anything to do with your irrelevant theory?

    Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    Why do you insist on renaming pertinent facts "blame?" The fact is, the rank and file spoke. Their resounding voice was "yes to concessions." Taking responsibility for ones choice rather than denial is a step in the right direction.

    Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    Maybe you should take your own advice.

  3. #43
    Banned

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Local Union
    710
    Employer
    retired
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,716
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by buffalobill View Post
    yeah! really! do you think if we had a different guy in the international, all of a sudden the non union barns would e at the halls trying to organize? wishful thinking ,imo.....
    Are you suggesting that no one else is qualified to handle the position?

  4. #44
    Banned

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Local Union
    710
    Employer
    retired
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,716
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by buffalobill View Post
    this is what i mean, i guess spaghetti had a better barn to work at, but im surrounded by a bunch of ass kissers!! these are the same guys who dont vote anyway!
    So is your argument that Hoffa should take voting rights away from other union members, because from your perspective, no one votes?

    "Facing fresh member dissatisfaction, Teamster President James Hoffa and his Secretary-Treasurer Ken Hall are headed to court to try to make contested Teamster elections a thing of the past."
    Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy | Labor Notes
    Last edited by Spaghetti; 08-05-2014 at 02:40 AM.

  5. #45
    Scab Hating Union Thug

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    222
    Employer
    YRC
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    25,989
    Rep Power
    1130

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
    What does big "R" employees have anything to do with your irrelevant theory?
    Well, I could dredge up a dozen or so posts where you drug them through the mud. But that's all irrelevant right? So what's your point? You keep dodging the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
    Maybe you should take your own advice.
    Again, what's your point? Do you have one?


    Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

  6. #46
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Local Union
    560
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star
    Location
    S. Carolina
    Posts
    4,688
    Rep Power
    739

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by buffalobill View Post
    and this is why i responded the way i did. before hoffa jr, what major companies were organized under carey, presser, or williams? hell, what sizeable companies have been organized since dereulation, period? see my point? no one else did any better, when there was more union density in trucking.
    Yes I see your point and again I do believe you are well intentioned. The office of General President was passed down from Fitzsimmons to Williams to Presser to McCarthy. The good old boy power structure was in play. They didn't have time to worry about organizing because they were too busy getting rich while feeding at the union trough. And besides the IBT was too big to fail.

    But then came the RICO suit and the consent decree which allowed us to finally elect international union officials by an impartially supervised election. You're right that Carey didn't organize any major freight companies. But Hoffa ran on the promise to restore the power and unity. I haven't seen that happen yet............Many are dissatisfied with Hoffa and Hall. They probably realize that they would have a hard time getting reelected again. Thus the reason for him and his heir apparent Ken Hall wanting to end the consent decree's IRB and our 1 member 1 vote elections. If we were to go back to elections by delegates then Hoffa could past the baton on to Hall or who ever he wants.

    I was one of the cheering Local 560 Teamsters in attendance back in 1999 at a special meeting at the Newark Airport Holiday Inn when Hoffa stood up on the dais announced that his election had been certified and he would replace Carey as the International President of the IBT. It was at that same union meeting when Hoffa announced the hiring of Edwin Stier to head up Project RISE, an internal union anti-corruption task force.

    Stier had been the federal trustee who helped clean up local 560. He sat up there right next to Hoffa and they had us on our feet cheering for their plan to clean up any corruption that might still be in the IBT They had us believing that the Teamsters would grow and be the great union it once was.

    Stier hoped to replace government supervision with the union's own effective program to keep it free of corruption. If successful it would have been a remarkable achievement for the Teamsters and a model for the whole labor movement. It was possible, he felt, because his aims were shared by James Hoffa, the union president, who could be counted on to use his power to make the program a success. That was a miscalculation. Hoffa turned out to be an obstacle not a point of support.

    Hoffa, on the other hand, was - and is - anxious to get the government out so that he can run the union without restraint. For him, the RISE program was obviously not intended to implement an anti-corruption program but only to serve as a public relations ploy to get the government out. Apparently, he was under the impression that he could convince Stier, or manipulate him, to serve as a mere PR instrument. That was a serious miscalculation. Unlike Hoffa, Stier was serious. The union's general counsel told the New York Times, "Ed is resigning because we're not letting him do whatever he wants to do." Precisely. What he wanted was what Hoffa had promised: action against corruption and organized crime.
    Fall of RISE in Teamsters Union

    Read the entire article and you will see where I'm going with this. The title of this thread is Hoffa threatens Teamster Democracy. I was all in favor of ending the consent decree. But I'd rather see the IBT continue to spend the $3 million a year on the IRB than to have us go back to the days of the mob influenced delegate election conventions.

  7. #47
    Scab Hating Union Thug

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    222
    Employer
    YRC
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    25,989
    Rep Power
    1130

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by 2631 View Post
    Yes I see your point and again I do believe you are well intentioned. The office of General President was passed down from Fitzsimmons to Williams to Presser to McCarthy. The good old boy power structure was in play. They didn't have time to worry about organizing because they were too busy getting rich while feeding at the union trough. And besides the IBT was too big to fail.

    But then came the RICO suit and the consent decree which allowed us to finally elect international union officials by an impartially supervised election. You're right that Carey didn't organize any major freight companies. But Hoffa ran on the promise to restore the power and unity. I haven't seen that happen yet............Many are dissatisfied with Hoffa and Hall. They probably realize that they would have a hard time getting reelected again. Thus the reason for him and his heir apparent Ken Hall wanting to end the consent decree's IRB and our 1 member 1 vote elections. If we were to go back to elections by delegates then Hoffa could past the baton on to Hall or who ever he wants.

    I was one of the cheering Local 560 Teamsters in attendance back in 1999 at a special meeting at the Newark Airport Holiday Inn when Hoffa stood up on the dais announced that his election had been certified and he would replace Carey as the International President of the IBT. It was at that same union meeting when Hoffa announced the hiring of Edwin Stier to head up Project RISE, an internal union anti-corruption task force.

    Stier had been the federal trustee who helped clean up local 560. He sat up there right next to Hoffa and they had us on our feet cheering for their plan to clean up any corruption that might still be in the IBT They had us believing that the Teamsters would grow and be the great union it once was.


    Fall of RISE in Teamsters Union

    Read the entire article and you will see where I'm going with this. The title of this thread is Hoffa threatens Teamster Democracy. I was all in favor of ending the consent decree. But I'd rather see the IBT continue to spend the $3 million a year on the IRB than to have us go back to the days of the mob influenced delegate election conventions.
    Well said. Excellent post!

    Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

  8. #48
    Scab Hating Union Thug

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    222
    Employer
    YRC
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    25,989
    Rep Power
    1130

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
    Are you suggesting that no one else is qualified to handle the position?
    I think what he is saying is after all the crap that went down over the last few years in freight, the nons may have little faith.

    Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    buffalobill likes this.

  9. #49
    Banned

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Local Union
    710
    Employer
    retired
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,716
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    Well, I could dredge up a dozen or so posts where you drug them through the mud. But that's all irrelevant right? So what's your point? You keep dodging the question.


    Again, what's your point? Do you have one?


    Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    My point is take your own advice. Is it possible that someone could practice what they preach?

    Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    Why do you insist on renaming pertinent facts "blame?" The fact is, the rank and file spoke. Their resounding voice was "yes to concessions." Taking responsibility for ones choice rather than denial is a step in the right direction.

    Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    That's good advice, don't you agree Mr. Lifer?
    Last edited by Spaghetti; 08-05-2014 at 10:51 AM.

  10. #50
    Scab Hating Union Thug

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    222
    Employer
    YRC
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    25,989
    Rep Power
    1130

    Default Re: Hoffa Threatens Teamster Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
    My point is take your own advice.

    That's good advice, don't you think Mr. Lifer?
    I think you need to clarify exactly what you mean. Be specific.

    Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

 

 
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 07-18-2014, 12:01 PM
  2. 07-18-2014, 09:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334