Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Thanks Thanks:  0
LOL LOL:  0
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Port Truck Drivers, Teamsters Want Congress to Reform System

I do agree that something needs to be done about this. I have followed the stories of these port drivers for years. But I also hear about similar stories with drivers who work for C.R. England and companies like that. I don't think they are considered contractors but they still get destroyed by these lease programs. Maybe someday that will be addressed too.

Three port-related workers from across the country came to Capitol Hill yesterday to share their stories on how companies are taking advantage of their labor by misclassifying them as contract workers and how changes need to be made to federal law to stop the practice.

They told congressional staffers and lawmakers in attendance about the long hours they are expected to work for low pay and a lack of protections on the job if they are injured or sick. They also said they risk losing their rigs even after years of making payments on them if they can’t keep up with the high lease-to-own payments or necessary repairs to their vehicles.

“There are a lot of myths surrounding truck drivers,” said Javier Ramirez, an XPO Logistics driver from San Diego. “Many people think it is a lucrative business with a high reward. But that isn’t the case and is far from the truth.”

Despite working long hours, many of these workers are being driven to bankruptcy. “Can you imagine working six years, making all the payments on the truck, and not owning the vehicle?” said Fred Potter, the Teamster’s Port Division Director. “There are a lot of sad stories at the port.”
    The Teamsters and workers are urging Congress to craft legislation like a measure enacted in California that would improving working conditions both in the trucking industry and throughout the supply chain. California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara, who formerly served as a state senator, introduced the legislation.
    https://teamster.org/blog/2019/05/po...-reform-system

2. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Default Re: Port Truck Drivers, Teamsters Want Congress to Reform System

I agree with you on this ABFwife. My nephew learned the hard way with CR England. Promises of great paydays, the "Drive Life" sounds so appealing. He leased with them and found he was literally driving his life into the ground. He lasted 6 months and was broke at the end.