Syracuse labor council president Dr. Dennis Nave is equally at home wearing a lab coat and marching on the picket line | syracuse.com

I remember posting about this. I thought I had remembered seeing somewhere that the syracuse Doctors had joined the Teamsters. This guy is a doctor and he is a Teamster and a Labor Council President:

Syracuse, NY -- Dr. Dennis J. Nave is as equally at home on the picket line as he is wearing a lab coat and treating patients.

Nave, 55, is president of the Greater Syracuse Labor Council, which represents 40,000 workers in 62 area unions. The AFL-CIO believes that he may be the only doctor in the country who is also president of a labor council.

Joining a union gives doctors a collective voice to negotiate change and fees with insurance companies, Nave said.

“We’re not looking in any way to gouge the public. We’re looking to be advocates for our patients,” he said.

“It’s very frustrating as a physician to practice medicine when you have all these roadblocks and you want to provide this care for people,” he said.

Union membership overall dipped slightly in 2009 to 15.3 million, or 12.3 percent of the workforce. That’s down from 12.4 percent the previous year.

Membership among doctors, dentists, optometrists, pharmacists and surgeons grew 3.6 percent to 962,000, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
More....