Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Local Union
    81
    Employer
    [J]Oak Harbor Freight Lines
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,144
    Rep Power
    222

    Default Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    Not content to target only public-sector unions, Republican lawmakers in more than one-quarter of the states this year launched their most ambitious attempt in about generation to break up union shops in factories, offices and other private-sector workplaces.

    But their efforts have largely faltered, in part because of opposition from fellow Republicans concerned that pushing too hard against unions could jeopardize other aspects of the pro-business agenda they staked out after strong statehouse gains in the 2010 elections.

    Of the 14 states where "right-to-work" bills barring mandatory union fees were considered, only New Hampshire has passed the legislation, and it is uncertain whether Republican lawmakers can overcome an expected veto by the Democratic governor. KFWB NEWS TALK 980 - AP News
    ..

  2. #2
    Getting In The Groove Now.

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Local Union
    600
    Employer
    CF
    Location
    East Central Mo
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    96

    Default Re: Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    Thats some refreshing news for a change.I hope more people understand that if the Labor unions falter, the non-union workers are next on the "chopping Block" and if some don't believe that, then they are foolishly being mislead.

  3. #3
    Obscurity has no heroes.

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Local Union
    173
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,444
    Rep Power
    213

    Default Re: Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    Quote Originally Posted by walker9704 View Post
    Thats some refreshing news for a change.I hope more people understand that if the Labor unions falter, the non-union workers are next on the "chopping Block" and if some don't believe that, then they are foolishly being mislead.
    It is indeed a good sign. Hopefully it leads to better support and awareness of what the Republicans are trying to pull off.

    There's a problem, though, and that is that most people don't care. They're not in a union, so they don't know the benefits and security of having one. The just want their McMeals, American Idol, and their 24/7 sports and soaps. Give them that and they'll be led around like the sheeple they are. It's bread and circuses. Keep the masses entertained and fed, and you have no revolutionaries. The latter part of the Roman Empire was much like this. As a nation, unless we pull our collective heads out of our butts, I don't see us lasting much more than a few centuries more at best. At worst we'll make it to the end of this one - if we're lucky.

    We need to have the will as a nation to fix the problems we're facing and no one will do that. Politicians wont, as it won't get them re-elected. Companies won't, because it's not profitable. The citizenry won't, because as I said before, they don't care. Most want to be taken care of and told what to do. A few of us can lead the way but that too will take initiative and leadership, and the existing regimes in both government and business will fight hard to ensure it doesn't change. It's people like us, who see what's going on, and think and do things to correct it, that will lead and support leaders to effect change - if change does indeed happen at all.

    Ad Novus Roma!! (To the New Rome!!)

  4. #4
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Local Union
    443
    Employer
    Roadway
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,597
    Rep Power
    186

    Default Re: Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    I don't see any democrat support for EFCA. The dems only want your vote and support. Northern and New England states have always been union friendly as far public unions but there are cracks beginning to show up here with mass layoffs and big concessions. Private unions have nothing to do with this bs

  5. #5
    Taking A Stand!!!

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Local Union
    492
    Employer
    ABF
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    21,144
    Rep Power
    694

    Default Re: Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    Quote Originally Posted by TropicDave173 View Post
    It is indeed a good sign. Hopefully it leads to better support and awareness of what the Republicans are trying to pull off.

    There's a problem, though, and that is that most people don't care. They're not in a union, so they don't know the benefits and security of having one. The just want their McMeals, American Idol, and their 24/7 sports and soaps. Give them that and they'll be led around like the sheeple they are. It's bread and circuses. Keep the masses entertained and fed, and you have no revolutionaries. The latter part of the Roman Empire was much like this. As a nation, unless we pull our collective heads out of our butts, I don't see us lasting much more than a few centuries more at best. At worst we'll make it to the end of this one - if we're lucky.

    We need to have the will as a nation to fix the problems we're facing and no one will do that. Politicians wont, as it won't get them re-elected. Companies won't, because it's not profitable. The citizenry won't, because as I said before, they don't care. Most want to be taken care of and told what to do. A few of us can lead the way but that too will take initiative and leadership, and the existing regimes in both government and business will fight hard to ensure it doesn't change. It's people like us, who see what's going on, and think and do things to correct it, that will lead and support leaders to effect change - if change does indeed happen at all.

    Ad Novus Roma!! (To the New Rome!!)
    Your statement that most people don't care is absolutey correct. I was having a union discussion with my sister the other day. Her words were that unions didn't affect her either way so they meant nothing to her. This coming from a woman that used to work for a union company in CA, where she made excellent pay. I guess now because she doesn't work there anymore, it doesn't matter to her. I have a hard time with people who cannot see outside of their little worlds and what the big picture really is!! And then I have my anti-union brother. Thank goodness I have you guys to discuss such things with!

  6. #6
    Getting In The Groove Now.

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Local Union
    600
    Employer
    CF
    Location
    East Central Mo
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    96

    Default Re: Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    Quote Originally Posted by TropicDave173 View Post
    It is indeed a good sign. Hopefully it leads to better support and awareness of what the Republicans are trying to pull off.

    There's a problem, though, and that is that most people don't care. They're not in a union, so they don't know the benefits and security of having one. The just want their McMeals, American Idol, and their 24/7 sports and soaps. Give them that and they'll be led around like the sheeple they are. It's bread and circuses. Keep the masses entertained and fed, and you have no revolutionaries. The latter part of the Roman Empire was much like this. As a nation, unless we pull our collective heads out of our butts, I don't see us lasting much more than a few centuries more at best. At worst we'll make it to the end of this one - if we're lucky.

    We need to have the will as a nation to fix the problems we're facing and no one will do that. Politicians wont, as it won't get them re-elected. Companies won't, because it's not profitable. The citizenry won't, because as I said before, they don't care. Most want to be taken care of and told what to do. A few of us can lead the way but that too will take initiative and leadership, and the existing regimes in both government and business will fight hard to ensure it doesn't change. It's people like us, who see what's going on, and think and do things to correct it, that will lead and support leaders to effect change - if change does indeed happen at all.

    Ad Novus Roma!! (To the New Rome!!)
    Maine State Rep. David Burns (Republican) endorses a bill (LC1346) which states that within a 180 day period, workers under 20 would earn $5.25 per hour instead of the minimum of $7.50.This means that on your 21st birthday you would likely received your pink slip.This is an all out war on Child labor laws and everyone who works should be aware that this will effect you in one way or another.

    Also, Sen Mike Lee (R-UT) gave a speech where he claimed that Federal child labor laws violate the Constitution. His republican colleagues rewarded him with a seat on the Senate Judiciary committee.
    This is why Unions are so important to all working people and good luck explaining that to some people.
    Last edited by walker9704; 05-14-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: word mispelled

  7. #7
    Taking A Stand!!!

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Local Union
    492
    Employer
    ABF
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    21,144
    Rep Power
    694

    Default Re: Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    Quote Originally Posted by walker9704 View Post
    Maine State Rep. David Burns (Republican) endorses a bill (LC1346) which states that within a 180 day period, workers under 20 would earn $5.25 per hour instead of the minimum of $7.50.This means that on your 21st birthday you would likely received your pink slip.This is an all out war on Child labor laws and everyone who works should be aware that this will effect you in one way or another.

    Also, Sen Mike Lee (R-UT) gave a speech where he claimed that Federal child labor laws violate the Constitution. His republican colleagues rewarded him with a seat on the Senate Judiciary committee.
    This is why Unions are so important to all working people and good luck explaining that to some people.
    Wow, now that is a livable wage!!

  8. #8
    Obscurity has no heroes.

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Local Union
    173
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,444
    Rep Power
    213

    Default Re: Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    Thank goodness I have you guys to discuss such things with!
    You're welcome! As I posted elsewhere, I had a lot of time off after my surgery to do some in depth research and thinking - not that I hadn't done anything before, but I was forced to "slow down" and this has given me time to become more politically aware (and involved in my local as well). So I hope that I can keep a balanced reasonable viewoint to share with you!!
    Last edited by TropicDave173; 05-15-2011 at 01:46 AM.

  9. #9
    Obscurity has no heroes.

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Local Union
    173
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,444
    Rep Power
    213

    Default Re: Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    Quote Originally Posted by walker9704 View Post
    Maine State Rep. David Burns (Republican) endorses a bill (LC1346) which states that within a 180 day period, workers under 20 would earn $5.25 per hour instead of the minimum of $7.50.This means that on your 21st birthday you would likely received your pink slip.This is an all out war on Child labor laws and everyone who works should be aware that this will effect you in one way or another.

    Also, Sen Mike Lee (R-UT) gave a speech where he claimed that Federal child labor laws violate the Constitution. His republican colleagues rewarded him with a seat on the Senate Judiciary committee.
    This is why Unions are so important to all working people and good luck explaining that to some people.
    Ah, yes...the "training wage". I'll support this bill IF every single Republican and Tea Party supporter agrees to be paid the same $5.25 per hour for a year, first.

    Then let's see how far that bill gets.

    Another aspect of this bill not always mentioned is that businesses can work these kids like slaves, in jobs that normally would pay far more, and rake in the bucks. You know there are business owners who would hire truckloads of teens at this rate and make a killing financially. And who would benefit? Repubs, of course, with 'donations' to reelection committees, PACs, etc.

  10. #10
    Scab Hating Union Thug

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    222
    Employer
    YRC
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    11,672
    Rep Power
    981

    Default Re: Efforts by GOP lawmakers to curtail private-union powers faltering

    Quote Originally Posted by TropicDave173 View Post
    Ah, yes...the "training wage". I'll support this bill IF every single Republican and Tea Party supporter agrees to be paid the same $5.25 per hour for a year, first.

    Then let's see how far that bill gets.

    Another aspect of this bill not always mentioned is that businesses can work these kids like slaves, in jobs that normally would pay far more, and rake in the bucks. You know there are business owners who would hire truckloads of teens at this rate and make a killing financially. And who would benefit? Repubs, of course, with 'donations' to reelection committees, PACs, etc.
    If you take a long hard look at the offerings from the GOP/TEA Party it is quite clear they have one thing in mind. Leave the masses uneducated and poor. At that point the battle is won.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258