Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Proud To Be a Teamster

Local Union
    769/251
    Employer
    UPS Freight

Quote Originally Posted by buxtrux View Post
    Yes I agree. People can not expect things to stay the same as the day they were hired and expect the union to stand up and try to keep things the same as they always were. I think the posters should be up, just not the companies responsibility to do it. A labor rep maybe, or an interested worker on site. People need to involved in their own surroundings and situations, not just expect "someone else" to do it.
    Ask fedexnuno how he thinks that'll go over.

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Default Re: Judge: Gov't cannot require union posters at work

Well thats what the whole argument was about, and the judge went with the company does not having to do it. Another judge very well could have gone the other way. I am of the belief that its the employees responsibility to be educated and know their rights, not a company's responsibility to do it. Now a days with the internet and smart phones etc. there is no excuse for not knowing your rights or what you may be entitled to.

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Well thats what the whole argument was about, and the judge went with the company does not having to do it. Another judge very well could have gone the other way. I am of the belief that its the employees responsibility to be educated and know their rights, not a company's responsibility to do it. Now a days with the internet and smart phones etc. there is no excuse for not knowing your rights or what you may be entitled to.
    Sorry but I am going to call BS on this brother. How many conversations have you had recently with a non union driver that left you shaking your head in disbelief? I have had plenty and I can tell you that the information these drivers are getting is not reality. These non union companies do plenty of educating. They are educating these fine folks to believe the BS that they are peddling.

My all time favorite episode involved my wife at her previous employer. They brought in the big guns from corporate to explain to the employees about Unions and the EFCA. It was very one sided and after a few minutes my wife raised her hand and asked where the spokesperson from the Union was to give their side of it. There is a very good reason they are now her previous employer.

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Of course the companies are doing their own "educating". The question is, who in their right mind is listening to that crap. I worked in management for 14 years out of 33. I gave those BS speeches. You know how I could tell the dopes from the smart ones in the audiance? The dopes were listening intently on what I was saying, sucking up every word, while the smart ones, it went in one ear and out the other. They knew better than to listen to my BS. Now a days its easy to get info online. Go to a Union site, Dept of Labor site State and Federal, the AFL-CIO site etc.etc. Anything but a mangagement briefing on unions. Thats like Red Ridinghood taking directions from the big bad wolf. So if your a non union worker waiting for the company to put up posters so you can educate yourself, you need to kick yourself in the a_ _ and start looking for information yourself. Its not that difficult. However many people like to gripe about their job, but are really either comfortable, or too lazy in to educate themselves on their options and rights.

Big Brown Boxchucker

Local Union
    Employer
    UPS

Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    These non union companies do plenty of educating. They are educating these fine folks to believe the BS that they are peddling.
    That's a great point, companies don't want to hang a worker's rights poster, but they are MORE than willing to hold mandatory captive audience meetings to "educate" them.
    Union avoidance is a big industry, and consulting firms are making big money. The awesome problem for them is, with union membership at an all time low, their industry is almost down to nothing

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

You know buxtrux, not everyone has a smart phone, some don't even have a computer. What is wrong with equal information from both the employer and union ? Some folks, like you said, are "dopes" and need the access to information that otherwise they would not receive. I don't think I would have put it that way, but since you were in management, it tells us how our management views their employees. I would say that was not in a favorable way to judge others education or intelligence.
    Some people are book smart, some are street smart, some just have common sense, all people deserve the same information.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    You know buxtrux, not everyone has a smart phone, some don't even have a computer. What is wrong with equal information from both the employer and union ? Some folks, like you said, are "dopes" and need the access to information that otherwise they would not receive. I don't think I would have put it that way, but since you were in management, it tells us how our management views their employees. I would say that was not in a favorable way to judge others education or intelligence.
    Some people are book smart, some are street smart, some just have common sense, all people deserve the same information.
    Exactly! Very well said fxstc07. And my feeling is that fair is fair. Why do employees have to go and search for information? Employers are going to cram their views down employees throats whether they want to hear it or not. I feel it should be a requirement that the right to unionize be posted at every business!

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Having been there, I'll be the first to tell you that much of management, (not all) in the places I have worked, union and non, veiw the workers as lesser than themselves. Management tends to think they are superior. There are plenty of functional idiots at this level too. Whats worse, is now they have authority. Kind of like a bad cop with a badge. Low-Mid level managment however, is much like rank and file workers. They come to work feel pressure from above, hear gripes from below, don't really have much power in the company per say, but get to boss people around and then go home. They make 5-30% more than the workers, but have no real job security, or get no overtime pay. Standard work week is 50 hrs,. your pay is a salary. Generally there is no bonuses at this level. Of coarse there are exceptions, but this covers the bulk of lower managment. The job blows, but it is a decent living. This level for the most part is not anti-union, more jealous than anything else of the perks for the Gods above, and the union benefits, or lack of pressure of the below workers. Its the upper levels (CEO, Pres., VP's etc.)that despise the unions. Not because the don't want unification or worker power per say. Unions will rob them of their ability to make quick, impulsive, risky decisions, to cut, move, change, workers pay-benefits, working conditions, job descriptions, etc.. in order to inhance the bottom line and thus increase their own compensation. For them it is all about profit and the bottom line, nothing else.It is protection from this group, that the worker rarely even sees, that the unions are needed. Given no leash or laws, and some in this group will bring back child labor if it increases the bottom line.
    Some of the workers on the otherhand, don't want any accoutability for anything. Its never "my fault" always someone elses. "Management is always screwing me." In todays society casting blame and responsibility away from ones self is paramont. Delve into it closer and its usually the guy's own doing. If you don't know your rights its your own fault. No one elses. Just like rules of the road. Speed limits are posted and that is it. All other laws regarding driving are expected to be known. Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse in court. The states post the laws on line and in manuals, and drivers are expected to find them and know them. They are not posted on signs along the road. If you are working, it is your responsibility to know your rights, not the employers. Again everyone is entitled to their own opinion, this is just my version of it. You of course are entitled to your own, and can defendit as you wish also.

Big Brown Boxchucker

Local Union
    Employer
    UPS

That paragraph can be summed up with,
    Look out for number one, cause no one else will.

Big Brown Boxchucker

Local Union
    Employer
    UPS

Its the upper levels (CEO, Pres., VP's etc.)that despise the unions. Not because the don't want unification or worker power per say. Unions will rob them of their ability to make quick, impulsive, risky decisions, to cut, move, change, workers pay-benefits, working conditions, job descriptions, etc.. in order to inhance the bottom line and thus increase their own compensation.
    But aren't all the risky impulsive decisions impeded by worker power (having a voice in the workplace)?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast