Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Time To Start A Fire

Local Union
    Employer
    UPS Ground Freight SOH 71

Exclamation Maybe We Are Going About This The Wrong Way?

Today, 6/9/2010 @ South Holland,IL there was a Covenant driver coming out of the main office building and walking across the yard with out closed toe shoes(sandals) and no safety vest. He also was not walking within the painted walk path. When I inquired about his safety vest, he told me "it's in the truck"(which was also parked wrong) When I explained to him that if he doesn't have a safety vest on, he cannot walk out side the path, he got p.o'ed real quick.

Since we have had 81 safety incidents nation wide at UPS Freight since the beginning of 2010(if you got this weeks' PCM) I am thinking that since we are required to follow yard control and other safety rules, shouldn't the contractors be required to also?

Since these contractors may not be following these same safety rules, can we not file some form of grievance under the contract because of this?
    What I am getting at here is that using the various safety rules that UPS enforces on us, maybe we can drive the contractors off the yard in this manner?

What would happen to us if because these contractors are not following the safety rules and just "by accident" one of us hits and injures or kills one of them? Would we have a leg to stand on under a union/company investigation?

If you are a member of your terminal safety committee, maybe you should enforce the rules? Do your observations, turn in reports when you see a contractor doing it wrong.

It would seem to me that this might work. If your local management stonewalls, then go to the next level. Make your concerns noted.
    This company(and almost every other major company like GM & Chrysler) spends mucho dinero on safety programs. Maybe it is time for us to turn this into a weapon?

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    UPS Freight

Default Re: Maybe We Are Going About This The Wrong Way?

My opinion is that this is an area that We as bargaining unit members should avoid!

We are not; management! and attempting to overstep this understanding could subject needless ridicule or worst; harassment allegations from a contractor and or contractor company representative!

I cannot stress enough, just how potentially serious < written statements > against organized labor members, can be, if put into the wrong hands, or solicited by someone with an agenda against organized help...

I suggest extreme caution, when dealing with; visitors and customers!

Avoid any and all situations that could lead to, or have a negative impact on Your personal character and or demeanor!

A paper trail documenting questionable behavior can prove; detrimental and or consequential, if used in conjunction with other forms of progressive disciplinary proceedings!

Negative behavioral traits, aren't easily negotiated or defended, especially if; a pattern is established!

Forget the nine (9) month purge on this sort of documentation! - this will always come up!

Teamster2008

It's the company's job to enforce the rules.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    The Best Ticket in Town

Try contacting OSHA?

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    ups freight

report ot to the management and then file a grevience on it for a safety violation by saying that they are putting your savety a risk by not folling the yard rules and also state if they are not following they safety rules that the carrier should be banned from the yard

Teamster2008

Quote Originally Posted by cpt crunch View Post
    report ot to the management and then file a grevience on it for a safety violation by saying that they are putting your savety a risk by not folling the yard rules and also state if they are not following they safety rules that the carrier should be banned from the yard
    Good points.

"the real boss"

Local Union
    Employer
    yrcnomore

If someone, (outside contractor) is walking outside the painted walkways without the required safety vest, I believe all traffic activity should STOP (for safety) until that person clears the parking lot.

upsetting mangement daily

Local Union
    Employer
    cassens

So you piss off the contractor and he don't come back and haul your is a bad thing?

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    UPS Freight

Lightbulb Re: Maybe We Are Going About This The Wrong Way?

mmm,ya think it`ll work..?

upsetting mangement daily

Local Union
    Employer
    cassens

Would hope so,no shiny wheels more freight 4 me sounds ok to me, but then i am in carhaul and we see bunch's of shiny wheels also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast