Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Teamster959/533
    Guest

    Default Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    STAND UP, SPEAK UP AND STICK UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!

    Recently I made a round trip, from our service center to a turn point and returned to our service center and the operations manager asked me, upon arrival, “what took so long”. No good morning, can I buy you a cup or coffee and how was you run. I replied that I was delayed by weather and had to go off route in both directions. Let us add these facts and some other information for management and THE COMPANY.
    Please review the following cited information the Federal Motor Carrier Regulations:
    §392.6 Schedules to conform with speed limits.
    No motor carrier shall schedule a run nor permit nor require the operation of any commercial motor vehicle between points in such period of time as would necessitate the commercial vehicle being operated at speeds greater than those prescribed by the jurisdictions in or through which the commercial motor vehicle is being operated.
    [33 FR 19732, Dec. 25, 1968, as amended at 60 FR 38746, July 28, 1995]
    The Federal Motor Carrier Regulations go on to answer some questions:
    Question 1: How many miles may a driver record on his/her daily record of duty status and still be presumed to be in compliance with the speed limits?
    Guidance: Drivers are required to conform to the posted speed limits prescribed by the jurisdictions in or through which the vehicle is being operated. Where the total trip is on highways with a speed limit of 65 mph, trips of 550-600 miles completed in 10 hours are considered questionable and the motor carrier may be asked to document that such trips can be made. Trips of 600 miles or more will be assumed to be incapable of being completed with out violations of the speed limits and may be required to be documented. In areas where a 55 mph speed limit is in effect, trips of 450-500 miles are open to question, and runs of 500 miles or more are considered incapable of being made in compliance with the speed limit and hours of service limitation.
    The route of this run goes through many little towns, hamlets and villages from start to finish that require a reduction of posted speed from 55 miles per hour to 25 miles per hour for differing lengths of measurement. If you add traffic, traffic controls, mountainous grades and terrain, and other factors beyond a drivers control the company mandated scheduled run time is questionable.
    472 miles round trip divided by 11 hours is a 42.91 mile per hour average. According to Goggle Maps, the mileage is 239 on this particular turn and a trip time of 4 hours and 58 minutes [5 hours for 478 miles] or an average speed of 47.8 MPH. If this were flat ground, no speed limit reductions for towns and other factors THE COMPANY’S mandated schedule may be reasonable.
    The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulators, upon request, would certify this run in the near future. The test would be with UPS Freight equipment comprising of a grossed out legal, 80,000 GCVW [Gross Combined Vehicle Weight], double set of trailers and a fine driver, of the companies choice, accompanied by a FMCSA [Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration] representative.
    My first suggestion, based on practical experience of 30 plus years and 3.5 million miles of safe commercial driving and 40 years as a Teamster, to THE COMPANY, is that:
    1. UPS Freight traffic engineers start this run earlier from both directions to facilitate an earlier arrival time at the north and south end.
    2. This suggestion may assist the break out of the turn freight.
    3. THE COMPANY also may configure in the drivers lunch and break times, break up and make up to the other trailer set, mandatory safety checks and polite conversations with central line control ‘transportation engineers’ that know far more than the driver.
    Secondly, send the ’UPS Freight Transportation Engineers’ a ‘raised relief topography map’ of the eleven western states that shows little bumps called mountains. Remind them also that Map Quest, Goggle and other mileage-time providers are using ‘automobiles’ and not commercial vehicles for their run times. This, along with some tutelage, may help some ‘train engineers’ figure out practical run times over roads and not the rails for UPS Freight drivers. If all this fails, have the ‘transportation engineers’ for UPS Freight change jobs and work for another railroad company.
    I asked the manager if there was anything else I could help him understand and he shamefacedly said no. The point is stick up for your rights with all the tools available that includes:
    1. THE CONTRACT and PAST PRACTICES [if you were under a current Teamster Union contract and all grievances procedures],
    2. The UPS Freight handbook and policies [available at UPS’ers.com],
    3. The National Labor Relations Board [NLRB] NLRB :: National Labor Relations Board ,
    4. OSHA [Occupational Safety & Health Administration] Occupational Safety and Health Administration - Home h,ttp://www.osha.gov/ ,
    5. Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act of 1959 [LMRDA] LMRDA text ,
    6. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations [FMCSR] Rules & Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration ,
    7. United States Code Chapter 49 of the [USC] United States Code: Title 49,TITLE 49—TRANSPORTATION | LII / Legal Information Institute,
    8. Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982 [STAA], 49 U.S.C. Section 31105 ‘Whistle Blower Protection Act’. http://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSH...r-trucking.pdf Section 405 of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982 (STAA), 49 U.S.C. 31105, as amended by section 1536 of the Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007, Pub. L. No. 110-53 (To be codified at 49 U.S.C. 31105)
    9. State and Local labor regulations
    10. And on and on…
    Do not sit and whine, waiting for the steward, business agent and union to look out for you. Read and study THE CONTRACT and YOUR LOCAL UNION and INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS BY-LAWS.
    If the union will not help you, for all the money you pay, then get off your rear and do something even if THE UNION and THE COMPANY want you to behave. If you believe that THE UNION is not representing you, and THEY work for you, then file charges with the NLRB against THE UNION citing misrepresentation.

  2. #2
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    25
    Employer
    UPS Freight
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    301

    Default Re: Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    Quote Originally Posted by Teamster959/533 View Post
    STAND UP, SPEAK UP AND STICK UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!

    Recently I made a round trip, from our service center to a turn point and returned to our service center and the operations manager asked me, upon arrival, “what took so long”. No good morning, can I buy you a cup or coffee and how was you run. I replied that I was delayed by weather and had to go off route in both directions. Let us add these facts and some other information for management and THE COMPANY.
    Did You put in for the; off-route miles... and were You paid for them?

    If the answer is; No, then some of the rest of this information would be useful!

    If the answer is; Yes, I would question 'why' provide so much information that perhaps You may have an opportunity to use at a later date and for a more useful impact purpose...

    Secondly, continuous interrogation of run times, based on their expectation, would be considered harassment and would also find some of what You have offered as useful information for creating the space needed to allow a person to continue to operate their company vehicle in a safe and driver comfortable manner.

  3. #3
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    25
    Employer
    UPS Freight
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    301

    Default Re: Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    Quote Originally Posted by Teamster959/533 View Post
    Please review the following cited information the Federal Motor Carrier Regulations:

    §392.6 Schedules to conform with speed limits.

    No motor carrier shall schedule a run nor permit nor require the operation of any commercial motor vehicle between points in such period of time as would necessitate the commercial vehicle being operated at speeds greater than those prescribed by the jurisdictions in or through which the commercial motor vehicle is being operated.

    [33 FR 19732, Dec. 25, 1968, as amended at 60 FR 38746, July 28, 1995]

    The Federal Motor Carrier Regulations go on to answer some questions:

    Question 1: How many miles may a driver record on his/her daily record of duty status and still be presumed to be in compliance with the speed limits?

    Guidance: Drivers are required to conform to the posted speed limits prescribed by the jurisdictions in or through which the vehicle is being operated. Where the total trip is on highways with a speed limit of 65 mph, trips of 550-600 miles completed in 10 hours are considered questionable and the motor carrier may be asked to document that such trips can be made. Trips of 600 miles or more will be assumed to be incapable of being completed with out violations of the speed limits and may be required to be documented. In areas where a 55 mph speed limit is in effect, trips of 450-500 miles are open to question, and runs of 500 miles or more are considered incapable of being made in compliance with the speed limit and hours of service limitation.
    The route of this run goes through many little towns, hamlets and villages from start to finish that require a reduction of posted speed from 55 miles per hour to 25 miles per hour for differing lengths of measurement. If you add traffic, traffic controls, mountainous grades and terrain, and other factors beyond a drivers control the company mandated scheduled run time is questionable.

    472 miles round trip divided by 11 hours is a 42.91 mile per hour average.

    According to Goggle Maps, the mileage is 239 on this particular turn and a trip time of 4 hours and 58 minutes [5 hours for 478 miles] or an average speed of 47.8 MPH. If this were flat ground, no speed limit reductions for towns and other factors THE COMPANY’S mandated schedule may be reasonable.

    The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulators, upon request, would certify this run in the near future. The test would be with UPS Freight equipment comprising of a grossed out legal, 80,000 GCVW [Gross Combined Vehicle Weight], double set of trailers and a fine driver, of the companies choice, accompanied by a FMCSA [Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration] representative.

    My first suggestion, based on practical experience of 30 plus years and 3.5 million miles of safe commercial driving and 40 years as a Teamster, to THE COMPANY, is that:

    1. UPS Freight traffic engineers start this run earlier from both directions to facilitate an earlier arrival time at the north and south end.
    2. This suggestion may assist the break out of the turn freight.
    3. THE COMPANY also may configure in the drivers lunch and break times, break up and make up to the other trailer set, mandatory safety checks and polite conversations with central line control ‘transportation engineers’ that know far more than the driver.

    Secondly, send the ’UPS Freight Transportation Engineers’ a ‘raised relief topography map’ of the eleven western states that shows little bumps called mountains. Remind them also that Map Quest, Goggle and other mileage-time providers are using ‘automobiles’ and not commercial vehicles for their run times. This, along with some tutelage, may help some ‘train engineers’ figure out practical run times over roads and not the rails for UPS Freight drivers. If all this fails, have the ‘transportation engineers’ for UPS Freight change jobs and work for another railroad company.

    I asked the manager if there was anything else I could help him understand and he shamefacedly said no. The point is stick up for your rights with all the tools available that includes:

    1. THE CONTRACT and PAST PRACTICES [if you were under a current Teamster Union contract and all grievances procedures],
    2. The UPS Freight handbook and policies [available at UPS’ers.com],
    Too much information!

    Involving engineers and drawing attention to particular concerns, where as; harassment and suggestive discipline isn't being levied... offering this sort of information should be discouraged.

    Plus, "UPS Freight handbook and policies [available at UPS’ers.com]" - We do not recognize!

  4. #4
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    25
    Employer
    UPS Freight
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    301

    Default Re: Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    Quote Originally Posted by Teamster959/533 View Post

    3. The National Labor Relations Board [NLRB] NLRB :: National Labor Relations Board ,
    4. OSHA [Occupational Safety & Health Administration] Occupational Safety and Health Administration - Home h,ttp://www.osha.gov/ ,
    5. Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act of 1959 [LMRDA] LMRDA text ,
    6. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations [FMCSR] Rules & Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration ,
    7. United States Code Chapter 49 of the [USC] United States Code: Title 49,TITLE 49—TRANSPORTATION | LII / Legal Information Institute,
    8. Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982 [STAA], 49 U.S.C. Section 31105 ‘Whistle Blower Protection Act’. http://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSH...r-trucking.pdf Section 405 of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982 (STAA), 49 U.S.C. 31105, as amended by section 1536 of the Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007, Pub. L. No. 110-53 (To be codified at 49 U.S.C. 31105)
    9. State and Local labor regulations
    This is < all > good!

  5. #5
    Time To Start A Fire

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Local Union
    710
    Employer
    UPS Ground Freight SOH 71
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    156

    Default Re: Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    Sometimes it is not management asking the question(where you been/what took you so long?) but your meet driver!
    This problem seems come from end of line shops that do not have "via" points in their runs.
    I fill in on a run that can have 2 "via" points(of 6 possible) on both legs. I can leave my barn got to one of those points to forward trailers to the meet point & get a tongue lashing from my meet man as why he has to wait an hour or more. I also hear that certain TM's require their drivers to take an hour lunch at meet points before they can charge waiting time!

    We also have another run that drivers turn daily of 696 miles! Granted it is west of the Mississippi and the average speed limit across that road is 65 or 70 but with a 68 m/p/h truck, that one gets a bit dicey.

    Then again there some trucks in this fleet turned up past 68 mph in order to make schedules.

  6. #6
    Getting In The Groove Now.

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Local Union
    391
    Employer
    UPS Freight
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    89

    Default Re: Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    Then again there some trucks in this fleet turned up past 68 mph in order to make schedules.

    I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!!!

  7. #7
    Getting In The Groove Now.

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Local Union
    651
    Employer
    ups freight
    Location
    lexington ky
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    just tell him that you got their as quick ast you could safely could and then tell him that it is safety buy choice not buy chance

  8. #8
    Getting In The Groove Now.

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    651
    Employer
    UPS Freight
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    Quote Originally Posted by nickelplaterick View Post
    Sometimes it is not management asking the question(where you been/what took you so long?) but your meet driver!
    This problem seems come from end of line shops that do not have "via" points in their runs.
    I fill in on a run that can have 2 "via" points(of 6 possible) on both legs. I can leave my barn got to one of those points to forward trailers to the meet point & get a tongue lashing from my meet man as why he has to wait an hour or more. I also hear that certain TM's require their drivers to take an hour lunch at meet points before they can charge waiting time!

    We also have another run that drivers turn daily of 696 miles! Granted it is west of the Mississippi and the average speed limit across that road is 65 or 70 but with a 68 m/p/h truck, that one gets a bit dicey.

    Then again there some trucks in this fleet turned up past 68 mph in order to make schedules.
    Since when do we allow fellow members to question our work ethics/methods/standards???

    Your meet man had to wait "an hour or more" because of poor management on one end or the other .... end of story

  9. #9
    Getting In The Groove Now.

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    651
    Employer
    UPS Freight
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    Quote Originally Posted by NikDiesel View Post
    Too much information!

    Involving engineers and drawing attention to particular concerns, where as; harassment and suggestive discipline isn't being levied... offering this sort of information should be discouraged.

    Plus, "UPS Freight handbook and policies [available at UPS’ers.com]" - We do not recognize!
    To quote a real smart guy "Dummy Up Dummy"

  10. #10
    Proud To Be a Teamster

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Local Union
    769/251
    Employer
    UPS Freight
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    687

    Default Re: Stand up, speak up and stick up for your rights!

    We do the best we can do each and every day. I am not THAT guy and he is not me! My best is not HIS best. Everyday in this industry is different. And there is nothing in the contract that says anything about production!
    Last edited by ST JAY; 06-19-2010 at 09:02 PM.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262