Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fish Hard Die Happy

Local Union
    Employer
    Roadway

Default An email from my Steward

I got this email today from my Steward. I don't know the origin or destiniation of the source, but the contents of the letter hits the nail right on the head. I would love to shake the authors hand. It's very long, and the forum won't let me post in one spot, so please read the continuation immedialtely following.

I'm a city driver of over 19 years with USF Holland in Atlanta,Ga. I also have a Management background in the trucking industry. I'm writing you today out of great concerns in reference to YRC Worldwide wanting the Teamsters to make concessions.
    These are just my opinions and views.
    If you take a look at Yellow Freights operating ratio over the last 10 years, it's not very impressive. And as you well know, Yellow Freight came very close to filing for bankruptcy just a few short years before acquiring Roadway. Whenever Yellow Freight has shown a profit its only been minimal.
    Whenever Yellow Freight acquired Roadway Express everyone from all of
    the LTL Companies both union and non-union were wondering where Yellow
    Freight came up with the money to buy Roadway. I myself figured that Yellow Freight used Roadway's assets as collateral on a loan as I didn't see Yellow Freight as having the financial resources to make the purchase. At that time I told a great number of people that I saw it as Yellow Freight trying to dig their way out of a financial bind that they seemed to have been in for a while. I felt as though Yellow saw Roadway as a company that had everything paid for and making a fairly decent profit. In my personal opinion, I feel that Yellow Freight basically saw it as a bailout for them. Soon after acquiring Roadway, Yellow began taking some of Roadways freight by under-cutting roadways pricing, then ended up losing accounts due to poor service
    and a great deal of OS&D claims that Yellow doesn't pay (according to customers). Then Yellow Freight has Roadway Management start operating things like Yellow, bringing any profits further down. As both Yellow and Roadway were struggling, Yellow saw USF Holland as a good sound carrier with better profits than Yellow and Roadway put together. Yellow Freight put in a bid for USF Holland and somehow came up with the funding. Shortly after acquiring USF Holland, Yellow Freight began under-cutting Hollands pricing on some big accounts in order for Yellow to get the business. Why in the world would somebody cut their own throat? Yellow Freight lost some of those accounts shortly afterwards due to poor service, damages to customers freight, and lack of payment on OS&D claims. Some of those customers will no longer deal with USF Holland since the customers have found out that we are owned by Yellow Freight. Yellow Freight has the poorest reputation in the LTL business according to customers. Then Yellow Freight started to micro-manage USF Holland and brought Holland down to where we were no longer making a profit. Then Yellow Freight acquired the largest shipping Company in China. Well first of all where did they get the money from to make that purchase as Yellow, Roadway, and Holland and been losing millions of dollars according to what our Management tells us. Secondly, if you're already having bad financial problems why would you want to take on even more problems by acquiring another company? Could it be poor decision making skills? After several rounds of layoffs Our Regional V.P. of Operations came to our terminal approx. 2 months ago to have a meeting with all of the shifts explaining all of the layoffs of road drivers, city drivers, and clerical personnel. He was asked by a city driver, "Have there been any layoffs of supervisors or management?" He replied,"no." If we have had hundreds and hundreds of layoffs of Teamsters, why hasn't there been layoffs of supervision and management both? This shows me nothing but more of their poor management skills. We have been told by our Management that Yellow Freight tells them every week if a terminal is to layoff, and if so how many to layoff. We were also told by our Management that Yellow uses a formula for the city drivers that every driver should make x amount of stops per hour. And if that goal of x amount of stops per hour isn't met, that we are not doing our jobs and that there are more layoffs of city drivers. We are already missing both deliveries and pickups on a daily basis because we don't have enough people to get the job done. Does Management really think that if we can't get the job done now, that by laying off more people it will miraculously get done? No! All this will do is cause each carrier to lose more business due to not servicing the customer. Some of the accounts being threatened right now are customers that we have had for 19 plus years. And I hear it almost everyday from customers themselves and they are getting fed up with not getting their freight picked up.
    Not all terminals cover the same demograghic area, each terminal doesn't
    deal with the same customers, not every terminal has the same volume of
    traffic to contend with as other terminals might have, then there's construction of streets or interstate highways, some terminals may have customers that both ship and receive a larger volume of freight than that of other terminals, and you have customers that are much busier than others so it may take longer to get to a spot to get loaded or unloaded. There are just too many variables for someone to sit in an office and say that X amount of stops should be made per hour. This shows me that we don't have Management with any hands on experience, nor do we have Management with any common sense.

Fish Hard Die Happy

Local Union
    Employer
    Roadway

Default Re: An email from my Steward, (continued)

Continued from previous post.
    Another thing that Yellow Freight, Roadway, and USF Holland are big on, is
    bill count per trailer on city loads. Everytime that I hear "bill count per trailer"
    I just shake my head wondering why our Management continuously
    concentrates on things that have no significance to your revenue or profits.
    Last year we had approx. 6 people at our terminal that were from the home
    office. There second day their I walked into the office for something and all but one of them were in there together. As I walked in they all said hello and were very nice. I knew that they were from the main office but I played dumb and asked, Are you'll from the main office? They replied, yes. I said, I'd like to ask a question about something that I just can't figure out. They all seamed very eager and willing to help and wanted to know what my question was. I said, "we are always hearing bill count per trailer being harped at us, but yet I have asked our current and last Terminal Managers as well as every Supervisor what the significance is in bill count per trailer and nobody has been able to give me an answer". I went on to explain that I have a background in Management in the trucking industry and I fail to see any significance in bill count per trailer as it tells you nothing about the amount of freight on a trailer, nor does it tell you anything about the revenue on that trailer. So I asked them, "can you please explain the significance of bill count per trailer to me"? They all stood there looking left and right at one another for about a minute and a half with the look of frightened children on their faces. Seeing their reactions was as enjoyable as watching a great cartoon as a child! One of them finally asked another whom we will call John (not his real name) if he would take this one? John put his hands up in the air and said, I guess so. The other 4 members of management immediately left the room. John scratched his head, then rubbed his chin, looked around the room as he was thinking, then rubbed his chin some more while I tried my best to keep from laughing. Finally after approx. 3 minutes of John fidgeting he replied, "there is no significance in bill count per trailer". Why do we spend so much time worrying about things that have nothing to do with our
    overall revenue or our bottom line profits? Then there's the issue of the home office trying to manage and run the terminals by telling the Terminal Managers what to do. If your going to run the terminals from elsewhere, why do we have Terminal Managers and pay those salaries for the Terminal Managers? If your not going to allow the Terminal Managers to actually run their terminals, get rid of them and just have a head supervisor. If you truly have good managers for Terminal Managers there is no need for all of the pencil pushing number cruchers at the main office other than in the finance department. And there would be no need in having all of the District V.P. positions and District Managers of various departments. If a Terminal Manager isn't able to operate his or her terminal effectively, get someonewho can. If YRC isn't going to allow Terminal Managers to to truly Manage, I say get rid of Terminal Managers as it would save the company approx. 20million dollars per year. Everybody in America is well aware of the collapse or near collapse of a number of financial institutions. One of the biggest things that has been heavily scrutinized has been big C.E.O. salaries. And they should be scruntinized as they are ridiculous! There is not a C.E.O. that should have a salary of over $400,000 per year and a bonus of maybe $50,000 per year. And then bonuses should not be given to Management unless the company is operating profitably and should be based upon those profits. If you are paying someone millions of dollars a year in salary and then paying huge bonuses even when the company isn't making a profit, What good sense does that make? NONE! What is the incentive of the C.E.O. to actually do a good job? NONE! Because all the C.E.O. has to do is work 2 to 4 years and he or she has made enough money to retire and live the rest of their lives. I have no problem if a C.E.O. makes 4 trillion dollars a year if he or she is also the owner of a company, which means he or she has started the company with their own money, started small, worked hard, worked smart, and built the company from scratch. But as far as a C.E.O. that is nothing more than an employee, I say $300,000 to $400,000 and no more. The President of the United States has a far more complicated job as well as alot more responsibility than a C.E.O. of a company or corporation yet the President of the United States makes far less than C.E.O.'s do. So,is the C.E.O. of YRC willing to reduce his pay into the range that it should be? I seriously doubt it, but he sure wants the little man that's just surviving to pay for the reckless and irresponsible management of the company. Now lets look at grievances. How much money do the companies under YRC
    pay in grievances each year. Oh, YRC wants us to strickly adhere to the contract and play hardball where the teamsters are concerned. YRC doesn't want to work with us in the least. But YRC constantly wants to violate the contract and pay for grievances. If YRC would learn to work with it's employees, the employees would do the same. But since YRC can't do that, grievances are constantly filed against the companies and constantly won. How much money does YRC throw away unnecessarily on paying grievances because they can't work with the employees nor can they go by the contract that they signed? If they could do just one or the other it would save the company a substantial amount of money. This again shows
    wreckless and irresponsible management due to money wasted that could have been profits. I feel like the Teamsters as well as the non union clerical and maintenance employees should demand that YRC present a comprehensive plan that restructures management, get rid of the fat in management, C.E.O. take a reduction in pay putting his salary down around $400,000 per year which is reasonable, and since YRC and its companies hire people with college degrees instead of people with practical working knowledge of the trucking industry we should also insist that every supervisor and every member of management must ride with a different road driver each day or night for 1 week, ride with a different city driver each day for 1 week, and work different shifts on the dock for 1 week, and do this twice yearly in order to gain working knowledge of the trucking industry and see first hand that the fantasy world of playing with numbers versus having understanding and actual knowledge of the business and how things actually operate are
    worlds apart. Maybe then and only then will our management be able to manage wisely and responsibly. But until then it wouldn't matter what kind
    of consessions were given as the inevitable would just drag out a little
    longer and the employees and the shareholders would still suffer the same
    as if we tell them NO to any concessions right now.
    So therefore I feel that the Teamsters should insist on a written comprehensive plan as outlined above before we vote for any kind of concessions. And if YRC can come up with a good written comprehensive
    plan it should also be in the contract that if YRC or it's companies veer from
    it and someone files a grievance to that effect and wins, all concessions are void and all concessions re-instated retroactive to the date they took effect
    for all employees involved. Also it should be as part of the contract, that if concessions are given, that when the company starts making a profit, the concessions automatically expire. If YRC isn't willing to do the above, I say NO to any concessions as it will just mean that our concessions will mean that YRC can survive a little longer, but will still end up closing the doors!

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    yrc

Default Re: An email from my Steward

at yrc in portland it was and is the same thing, we take buisiness from yellow and usf, undercutting all the way. its like moving money from one pocket to the other, but losing allot along the way. i have heard their lies and am done with it. let them close the doors. its a no vote from me. like the brother says they will be closed in six months anyway. vote yes and they will take your money, pocket it, and close anyway. the top execs will walk with all the money. may bill zollars rot in hell.

Local Union
    Employer
    Holland

That's one of the guys I work with, not sure who it is but you can bet your a$$ I'm going to find out. When I do I'll give him a BIG pat on the back for writing this. IMO everything he said was true and to the point.

100% agree. I don't think anyone could have said it any better. Its amazing that we can all think of these things yet the execs have no clue on how to fix the problem. It really isn't rocket science. Nothing like getting paid millions to run a company into the ground. Its ridiculous and it need to be dealt with immediately. if they can not come up with a solid plan then whats the use.

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

what good does it do on this website hopefully he got it to the board or shareholders. and if any one knows how to do that i would like to get mine over to these guys too.

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

This guy couldn't have said it much better. ABF is the same way as far as all the micro-management crap. Terminal managers are nothing more than stooges for their regional VP's, who are always crying about the same things, bill count per hour, or "production" as they like to call it at ABF. This "production" like the guy said in the email means zero really to the bottom line. Just the typical thing of running it as lean as possible through the lay-off "shape", and expecting those who are working to be good little jack rabbits on the dock or in the street. I remember one time at our barn when they tried explaining to me that they don't get "credit" for bills not put to the street. Another words they're too stupid to factor in to their labor cost the amount of freight you handle on a given inbound strip shift that gets stripped and left on the dock or put back into another trailer for say storage because of appointments or not due or to make room on your dock.

Local Union
    Employer
    USF Holland

If you like this,you should read, A multitude of reasons to vote NO to concessions.
    Last edited by CMrMark; 12-05-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Gave wrong info

9. 12-05-2008

Reason
    Double post

Take OFF The Hat

Local Union
    Employer
    USF Reddaway

Amazing that they cant make a profit I was told by my term manager that the USF Reddaway PDX terminal cuts yellow a check at the beginning of every month for 400k as a so called "administrative fee" for the privilege of being owned and micro managed by yellow.
    hmmmm.... wonder we we are loosing money?!

Local Union
    Employer
    usf reddaway

ah yes the admin fee.
    in stockton its 80k or so.
    frigin amasing.
    and why is tere all this middle managment fat?
    on the fence as to ya or nay.
    sho me a plan!!!!!
    L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-27-2009, 03:53 PM