Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I'm hurt and I'm at a loss' | Employees and union blindsided by Safeway distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm hurt and I'm at a loss' | Employees and union blindsided by Safeway distribution

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. — A Safeway distribution center announced that it will be closing operations out of Prince George’s County by May. For many of the 600 people who work in that warehouse, the news has comes as a surprise
    "In a panic, people started calling their loved ones to let them know, come May we don’t have a job anymore," White said.

For now, White said employees are still working, but they don’t know what the future holds.

"We don’t even know if we’re going to get a service package, we don’t know if we’re getting anything," she said. "We don’t know if we’re getting anything from Safeway. We’re just in the blind."

Teamsters Local 730, the union representing the distribution center employees, representative Richie Brooks said the union was blindsided by the news as well. Brooks said his members negotiated a contract until 2022, and he's now looking into his members' legal right. He noted that Safeway's parent company, Albertson's, offered members new jobs at a Pennsylvania plant, more than a hundred miles away.

This isn’t the first time Albertson’s has threatened to close the Upper Marlboro distribution center. In 2016, after negotiating with Teamsters, it agreed to stay open if employees accepted concessions including pay freezes and pay cuts.
    https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...2-1fb838a2d099
Working...
X