Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    New penn

Default Any help for a possible future driver???

Recently applied with New Penn and was offered a position. Never been in a union and have no idea what to expect. Also have concerns with if I will get 40 hours at least per week since I'm starting at the bottom. I see this forum is not very active but hopefully someone may see this and help out. Also what are benefits like

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Default Re: Any help for a possible future driver???

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler91999 View Post
    Recently applied with New Penn and was offered a position. Never been in a union and have no idea what to expect. Also have concerns with if I will get 40 hours at least per week since I'm starting at the bottom. I see this forum is not very active but hopefully someone may see this and help out. Also what are benefits like
    Welcome to You're in luck. We have a couple regulars (and one of our Mods) that hang their hat at NewPenn.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

What terminal will you be working at.. And I retired from Newpenn .. And welcome to Teamstersonline..

Local Union
    Employer
    New penn

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    What terminal will you be working at.. And I retired from Newpenn .. And welcome to Teamstersonline..
    Just waiting on background to clear, should be fine. Camp Hill

I just know nothing about unions and benefits. And bigger concern is starting at bottom and not getting 40 hours.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Just waiting on background to clear, should be fine. Camp Hill

I just know nothing about unions and benefits. And bigger concern is starting at bottom and not getting 40 hours.
    Camp Hill is one of the busiest terminals. However, there is no way to predict the number of hours you will get. That is just not possible in the LTL trucking sector. With summer coming, vacations and then into fall, with hunting season, you stand to get the most hours possible, but there is no guarantee.
    I am not current with the pay scale. Some one should be along to tell you what that is.

Local Union
    Employer
    New penn

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Camp Hill is one of the busiest terminals. However, there is no way to predict the number of hours you will get. That is just not possible in the LTL trucking sector. With summer coming, vacations and then into fall, with hunting season, you stand to get the most hours possible, but there is no guarantee.
    I am not current with the pay scale. Some one should be along to tell you what that is.
    Thank you for the reply. With this being a big change for me, I know my wife's main concern is keeping a roof over our heads. I know hours are not guaranteed but hopefully I can get as many as possible before having to find something part time to make up the rest. Person at New Penn said 40 won't be a problem and if anything more will be available. Still have concerns though. Still relatively new to trucking and coming from a job with a guaranteed minimum per week will be a big change. Too many issues with previous company and fleet manager.

I have seen Union dues are 2.5 times hourly rate per month. If I calculate correctly, someone making 20.00 ph will pay 50.00 per month. Seems very reasonable.

Is the insurance good and is it just for employee or family as well?

Thanks again to you all for taking the time to reply and help me out

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Thank you for the reply. With this being a big change for me, I know my wife's main concern is keeping a roof over our heads. I know hours are not guaranteed but hopefully I can get as many as possible before having to find something part time to make up the rest. Person at New Penn said 40 won't be a problem and if anything more will be available. Still have concerns though. Still relatively new to trucking and coming from a job with a guaranteed minimum per week will be a big change. Too many issues with previous company and fleet manager.

I have seen Union dues are 2.5 times hourly rate per month. If I calculate correctly, someone making 20.00 ph will pay 50.00 per month. Seems very reasonable.

Is the insurance good and is it just for employee or family as well?

Thanks again to you all for taking the time to reply and help me out
    Each local sets their dues rate. It could be close, or the 2.5 X the hourly rate at 776. Best to contact the local for accurate information on that.
    Insurance is also something that can vary from area to area. Again, talk with a contact person, or the business agent for New Penn.
    Insurance was always a strong point. I worked in the Philadelphia area and had what I say is the best insurance coverage possible. I believe you will need to have a minimum number of hours per week to qualify for the insurance. It is family coverage, spouse and children.

no user title

Local Union
    Employer
    N/A

Congratulations on your new job. I think you'll find Teamster wages and benefits will
    far exceed your expectations.

x475

9. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I know when husband was considering leaving a non union food delivery job for ABF, we had all those same questions. I can definitely tell you the change was a very positive one! And this July it will be 10 years since he made the switch.

Local Union
    Employer
    New penn

Thank you everyone for the input and insight. I officially received my offer today to join New Penn and happily accepted. Looking forward to getting started and no more OTR

12. Likes 222lifer, ABFwife, Yankee Liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast