Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default As Nabisco Ships 600 Jobs Out of Chicago to Mexico, Maybe Itís Time To Give Up Oreos

Well, I don't eat them since my dietary changes but maybe none of us should!

I may have to give up one of my longest-standing indulgences: the dunking of an Oreo cookie in cold milk (whole is preferred). I don’t do this lightly, as I have been dunking those deliciously wicked rounds of chocolate and what I choose to believe is cream since I’ve been three.
    Why give them up? Because this week, Irene Rosenfeld, the head of Mondolez (the food conglomerate based in Illinois that has Nabisco in its portfolio), a woman touted for breaking the glass ceiling upon becoming the head of Kraft Foods and then its spin off, announced that rather than invest $130 million in modernizing the plant in Chicago, where Oreos have been lovingly produced for the past 100 years, she will instead move the jobs to a new factory in Mexico. The result: a loss of 600 well-paying and community-sustaining jobs on Chicago’s Southwest Side.

Is giving up Oreos a foolish and futile gesture? Of course, I know that other Chicago-born companies have made similar moves. I, like many Chicagoans felt a loss when Frango Mints were no longer hand made on the top floor of Marshall Field’s—and felt worse when Marshall Field’s ceased to exist at all. I was saddened when Klaus Suchard chose to take Brach candy production from Chicago, and in so doing ended Chicago’s title as candy capital of the world. I even regretted the loss of the city’s steel mills and stockyards, despite the cleaner air that their exodus brought.
    As Nabisco Ships 600 Jobs Out of Chicago to Mexico, Maybe It’s Time To Give Up Oreos - Working In These Times
    Last edited by ABFwife; 05-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.

2. Likes slavenomore, fedexnuno, 2631 Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Default Re: As Nabisco Ships 600 Jobs Out of Chicago to Mexico, Maybe Itís Time To Give Up Or

We only eat Newman's own brand of cookies.. Just as good if not better and ALL the profits go to charity.. As far as Nabisco goes,if they ship the jobs out of the city then the government should ship the CEO's out with them.

4. Likes slavenomore, ABFwife, fedexnuno, 2631 Liked this post
    On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

Default Re: As Nabisco Ships 600 Jobs Out of Chicago to Mexico, Maybe Itís Time To Give Up Or

If we had a government which truly looked out for its own, they'd place enough tarrifs on them products which leave to make them $500/bag.

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

I'm sure jobs selling them at Walmart part-time will make up for the Nabisco workers job loss in all kinds of economic ways..............more taxes for welfare on the rest who still have jobs.........and more profits for those who own the world. THEY'RE GOING BROKE,DON'TCHA KNOW??***#%*????!!!!

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Southwest Side Braces for Loss of Oreos and 600 Jobs
    On Monday, Aug. 24, NPR Chicago broadcast a special story detailing the recent announcement by Mondelēz International that it is shipping 600 union jobs — half the plant’s workforce — to Mexico. The program includes interviews with BCTGM Local 300 members at the Chicago bakery. The report also includes information on how the city worked with Mondelēz the last time the company threatened to move production outside of the United States by providing $300 million in tax breaks to complete infrastructure work at the bakery.

BCTGM Local 300 member Sabrina Pope is known as the Oreo queen. She’s a processor at Nabisco who earns more than $26 an hour. The 35-year veteran originally had only planned to stay for three.

“The pay was good. I was raising a son at the time and it was the American Dream that I had security there. I had security,” Pope said. “Right now, I don’t even know what my future’s going to bring because I’m not old enough to retire. I got the years to retire but I just don’t have the age to do it.”
    Southwest Side Braces for Loss of Oreos and 600 Jobs

The BCTGM International was informed today by Mondelēz that the company had chosen to spend $130 million in new investment at its Salinas, Mexico plant, rather than at the historic Chicago facility, represented by BCTGM Local 300.

As part of this investment, Mondelēz will install four new lines at its Mexico plant, replacing nine production lines at its historic Chicago facility, where approximately 1,000 workers are represented by BCTGM Local 300.

The Chicago plant, which dates to the 1950s, is the company’s largest U.S. bakery. Union members operate all of the bakery’s 16 lines producing such iconic brands as Oreo, Chips Ahoy, Nutter Butter, Honey Maid, belVita, Premium, Ritz and Wheat Thins.
    BCTGM | Mondel

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

I see a few items I like, but will never purchase again. Not that it will make a difference to the mega corporation mondelez.

9. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Used to go to nabisco before they moved their plant to mexico about 10 years ago, the dock was the cleanest dock ever, the place smelled heavenly too, always got samples (fresh). Don't touch that garbage food now, used to love wheat thins but way to many carbs & salt.

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Nabisco just became another company that lost our business. I would love to stuff my size 12 Justin's where the sun doesn't shine on those goons.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Who's that country making Oreo cookies?
    In a letter to President Barack Obama, Durkee said Mondelez demanded $46 million in annual savings from the union workers. It was an “offer,” Durkee added, calculated to be rejected.

Mondelez basically wanted the Chicago cuts to not only boost its profits “but pay for the Mexican workers’ wages, too,” the union says. And it could demand the cuts and make the move, Durkee said, thanks to NAFTA, the 20-year-old controversial U.S.-Canada-Mexico “free trade” pact that has become a model for other such agreements.

BCTGM calculated that $46 million would equal wage and benefit cuts of $22-$29 an hour for the workers at the plant, where BCTGM Local 300 represents all 1,000-plus workers. That compares to $2 an hour Mondelez plans to pay workers in Salinas, Mexico, to produce Oreo cookies. The firm announced it will invest $130 million in what it calls “more efficient” production lines in Salinas.
    Who's that country making Oreo cookies? |Teamster Nation

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Here is just another example of corporate greed at it's finest.

Mondelez International, Inc. CEO Irene Rosenfeld took in more than $21 million in total compensation in 2014, a nearly $6 million increase from the previous year. This included a doubling of her annual cash incentive to $3.6 million and a nearly $4 million increase in her pension plan and other retirement benefits. In the last eight years, Rosenfeld has received approximately $165 million in total compensation.
    Screw the workers, get a raise.

BCTGM: Mondelez Turns its Back on Chicago and its Workers - MarketWatch

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast