Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: 40,000 Verizon workers plan to strike

As Verizon Strike Enters Its Fourth Week, Local Unions Take the Lead in Solidarity

As the strike by 39,000 Verizon and Verizon Wireless workers continues into its fourth week, efforts are underway to broaden picketing at Verizon Wireless stores across the country. Workers at seven Wireless stores in Brooklyn, New York, and Everett, Massachusetts, are on strike, along with wireline workers from Massachusetts to Virginia.

The Communication Workers are working with Jobs with Justice to get local unions and community groups across the country to “Adopt-a-Store”—meaning they would agree to picket and leaflet outside Verizon Wireless corporate stores at least twice a week for two to three hours.

But a few CWA locals didn’t wait for a lead from their District or the national to get going.

“We still believe in the old adage that an injury to one is an injury to all,” said Dave Ratcliff, secretary-treasurer of Local 6012 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which picketed a Verizon Wireless store on the afternoon of Saturday, April 23. “We saw our union brothers and sisters in the Northeast struggling and we wanted to let them and Verizon know that they’re not alone.”

2. Likes wizard Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Verizon workers to hold 400 protests across US, plan to crash company's shareholder meeting

I don't know about the rest of you but I am amazed by what these Verizon workers are doing. Solidarity!! And look what they are doing in New Mexico today! This better be on the local news or I will complain big time.

Striking Verizon workers and their supporters are holding a day of protest on Thursday, May 5. There will be over 400 actions throughout the country as the work stoppage enters its third week. Workers will also descend on the company's shareholder meeting in New Mexico. According to a Communications Workers of America press release:

In Albuquerque, striking workers, other CWA members, and community and labor supporters will protest outside the shareholder meeting at the Oldtown Hotel. Verizon workers will carry banners calling for a fair contract are planning to deliver petitions to Lowell McAdam from 350,000 customers who have grown increasingly frustrated with the company.
    Verizon Workers to Hold 400 Protest Events Across the US, Plan to Crash Company's Shareholder Meeting | Alternet
    Last edited by ABFwife; 05-05-2016 at 09:31 AM.

4. Likes wizard Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    Verizon workers to hold 400 protests across US, plan to crash company's shareholder meeting

I don't know about the rest of you but I am amazed by what these Verizon workers are doing. Solidarity!! And look what they are doing in New Mexico today! This better be on the local news or I will complain big time.

Verizon Workers to Hold 400 Protest Events Across the US, Plan to Crash Company's Shareholder Meeting | Alternet
    It was great! I was getting postings on my FB from the local news channel that the protestors were snarling up traffic pretty badly and ended up causing a road to be closed. And there were not many negative comments left by people, mostly positive.

http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/.../#.Vyv6DnrBHIX
    Last edited by ABFwife; 05-05-2016 at 11:00 PM.

6. Likes 222lifer, wizard Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

The CWA sent people to the Philippines to help the call center workers. That is part of the on-going strike issue, outsourcing work to other countries and the conditions those workers endure.

Tim Dubnau knew that helping lead a strike of almost 40,000 workers against Verizon Communications was going to be tough. But he had no idea that he would find himself, as he did on Wednesday, crammed in the back of an unmarked white van, terrified, being chased through the streets of Alabang, a city on the outskirts of Manila, by a group of armed men on motorcycles.

And the situation only got more tense when the men surrounded the van, forcing it to pull over, and called in a SWAT team of heavily armed Philippine police officers.

“It was like being in a movie-they were dressed all in black with masks and automatic rifles,” Dubnau recalled in an interview with Fortune. “At first they were demanding that we get out. One officer even hit the door with his gun. But we didn’t open up, we knew our rights."
    In some ways, the call center employees in the Philippines, who work for third parties that contract with Verizon, are caught in the middle.
    They are paid less than $2 an hour in regular wages. After the strike began, they were required to work an additional shift-- a sixth day per week--plus one to two extra hours of overtime on their normal shifts. But promised overtime pay covering the extra hours has not been forthcoming, according to BIEN.
    Billions in profits, but it's never enough.

Yahoo!

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Drunken replacement worker hits striking Verizon employee with truck, police say

So this is what Verizon hires to replace it's union workers with?

WESTBOROUGH, Mass. —A replacement worker was driving drunk when he hit a striking Verizon worker Thursday with his pickup truck in Westborough and drove off with the man on the hood of the vehicle.

Police were assisting with a labor dispute involving striking Verizon workers and replacement workers who were staying at the Extended Stay Hotel.
    Pulling accelerated in the middle of the picketers and ended up with one of the picketers, Joseph Rooney, 47, of Roslindale, on the hood of the truck, police said.
    Pulling continued onto the ramp leading onto Route 9 West, where he stopped and caused Rooney to be tossed onto the road, police said.
    Pulling was arrested and charged with two counts of assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, fourth-offense DUI alcohol and operating a motor vehicle without a license.
    Drunken replacement worker hits striking Verizon employee with truck, police say | Local News - WCVB Home

9. Likes fxstc07 Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

I hope the above "accident" costs Verizon millions ... or more. This is exactly what you get with scab replacement workers. People that don't care, but then again, neither do the executives at Verizon.

11. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired; OHFL

Verizon, unions will return to bargaining table

Verizon and striking union officials will restart negotiations Tuesday after a meeting with Labor Secretary Tom Perez.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Good. It's wrong what they are doing and Verizon cell phone is one of the most expensive if not the most expensive. I know since their service is the one I need to use. And isn't it great that the striking workers have made a huge dent in this company?

Verizon Strike Update: Tech Giant Loses Big Time; Union Workers Decapitated Company?

The recent Verizon strike update revealed of the big losses for the tech company. The union workers' demands and unrest have led to the operations being impeded. All the more, speculations of the company being decapitated arise owing to the strike at hand.

The massive walk out of telephone, cable TV and broadband Internet service installers at Verizon Communications has led to a significant decline in new customers this quarter, Fortune reports.
    Verizon Strike Update: Tech Giant Loses Big Time; Union Workers Decapitated Company? : Tech : iTech Post

14. Likes fxstc07 Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    Good. It's wrong what they are doing and Verizon cell phone is one of the most expensive if not the most expensive. I know since their service is the one I need to use. And isn't it great that the striking workers have made a huge dent in this company?

Verizon Strike Update: Tech Giant Loses Big Time; Union Workers Decapitated Company?

Verizon Strike Update: Tech Giant Loses Big Time; Union Workers Decapitated Company? : Tech : iTech Post
    This has nothing to do with Verizon wireless although it should put a hurting on Verizon overall.. I would wager the CEO will still get his multi million dollar bonus..

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    This has nothing to do with Verizon wireless although it should put a hurting on Verizon overall.. I would wager the CEO will still get his multi million dollar bonus..
    I am aware of that but I am quite sure it is drawing attention to the wireless users too. It is with me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast