Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60
  1. #21
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Local Union
    641
    Employer
    Retired New Penn
    Location
    Somewhere in South Carolina
    Posts
    25,964
    Rep Power
    378

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    You still don't understand.
    They are moving production of the European spec bikes overseas to avoid the tariffs.
    That has nothing to do with the new plant in Thailand. That was in progress long before Trump entered into the picture.

    It's only about the manufacture of bikes for the European market, of which AMERICAN workers built before. Not now.

    Something tells me you still won't get it ...

    Maybe this will help.
    None of those bikes will be exported back to the US. They are only for the European market and will stay there. But we lost the job of building them here. Which the American Harley-Davidson union employee did until now.
    So much for that excuse!! Tariffs ?? They still made money but in the end they want to make MORE money by using cheaper overseas labor..

    https://finance.yahoo.com/m/0b472497...gh-tariff.html


    Harley shares rose 7.7 percent to close at $44.63 in New York, the biggest jump since October 2016. That pared the stock’s loss this year to 12 percent.

    Adjusted profit for the second quarter was $1.52, beating analysts’ average estimate for $1.41. Revenue slipped to $1.53 billion, topping the average projection for $1.42 billion.

  2. #22
    Retired !

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    107
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    18,473
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    So much for that excuse!! Tariffs ?? They still made money but in the end they want to make MORE money by using cheaper overseas labor..

    https://finance.yahoo.com/m/0b472497...gh-tariff.html
    I guess it hasn't occurred to you that this financial report was for the business 2nd quarter, before the tariffs were effective and added costs to the exported machines ?
    From your link.
    While the accelerated shipments reduced the cost of the levies to as much as $35 million this year, the annual impact may still run about $90 million to $100 million, Chief Executive Officer Matt Levatich said during a conference call with analysts.
    So H.D. should just suck it up and lose possibly 100 million a year ?

    Besides, I thought you were a big capitalist type of guy. Businesses are supposed to make money, not lose money.

  3. #23
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Local Union
    641
    Employer
    Retired New Penn
    Location
    Somewhere in South Carolina
    Posts
    25,964
    Rep Power
    378

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    I guess it hasn't occurred to you that this financial report was for the business 2nd quarter, before the tariffs were effective and added costs to the exported machines ?
    From your link.

    So H.D. should just suck it up and lose possibly 100 million a year ?

    Besides, I thought you were a big capitalist type of guy. Businesses are supposed to make money, not lose money.
    I am for EVERY one making money.. Think they are using the tariffs as an excuse to move overseas.. I believe they would have gone even if there are no tariffs.. Supposedly the trade officials from the EU are gonna meet with Trump this afternoon.. They have already said they are willing to Reduce tariffs but Trump says he still wants NO tarriffs..

  4. #24
    Steward

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Local Union
    848
    Employer
    Nature's Best
    Location
    california usa
    Posts
    7,588
    Rep Power
    306

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    I am for EVERY one making money.. Think they are using the tariffs as an excuse to move overseas.. I believe they would have gone even if there are no tariffs.. Supposedly the trade officials from the EU are gonna meet with Trump this afternoon.. They have already said they are willing to Reduce tariffs but Trump says he still wants NO tarriffs..
    Attachment 1355Attachment 1355

  5. #25
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Local Union
    641
    Employer
    Retired New Penn
    Location
    Somewhere in South Carolina
    Posts
    25,964
    Rep Power
    378

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by fedexnuno View Post
    Nice emojis.. Where did you find them?? Dollar Tree??

  6. #26
    Steward

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Local Union
    848
    Employer
    Nature's Best
    Location
    california usa
    Posts
    7,588
    Rep Power
    306

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    I am for EVERY one making money.. Think they are using the tariffs as an excuse to move overseas.. I believe they would have gone even if there are no tariffs.. Supposedly the trade officials from the EU are gonna meet with Trump this afternoon.. They have already said they are willing to Reduce tariffs but Trump says he still wants NO tarriffs..

  7. #27
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Local Union
    641
    Employer
    Retired New Penn
    Location
    Somewhere in South Carolina
    Posts
    25,964
    Rep Power
    378

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by fedexnuno View Post
    Maybe Sam Seder should have waited a wee bit longer..



    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-says-jk1jtfs8


    President Donald Trump and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker agreed to suspend new tariffs while negotiating over trade, pulling the U.S. and Europe back from the edge of a transatlantic trade war.

    The leaders pledged to expand European imports of U.S. liquefied natural gas and soybeans and both vowed to lower industrial tariffs, excluding autos. The U.S. and European Union will “hold off on other tariffs”’ while negotiations proceed, as well as re-examine U.S. steel and aluminum tariffs and the retaliatory duties imposed by the EU, Juncker said.

    “We had a big day, very big,” Trump said during a press conference with Juncker at the White House on Wednesday. “We are starting the negotiation right now, but we know where it is going.” Trump hailed “a new phase” of trade relations.

  8. #28
    Retired !

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    107
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    18,473
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    I am for EVERY one making money.. Think they are using the tariffs as an excuse to move overseas.. I believe they would have gone even if there are no tariffs.. Supposedly the trade officials from the EU are gonna meet with Trump this afternoon.. They have already said they are willing to Reduce tariffs but Trump says he still wants NO tarriffs..
    Once again I will explain ... not that you'll understand.
    H.D is NOT moving overseas. They already have 4 plants in different areas of the world.
    They are moving production of bikes meant for European export to facilities where the tariffs won't affect them.
    Just like Polaris industries ( Indian motorcycles ) and many other manufacturers of products are doing to avoid loss of sales and doing an end run around the tariff issues.
    Smart business people.

    Just like Trump exclaimed that he is a smart business person because he didn't pay taxes for many years. Remember that ?
    You and I paid our taxes, so I guess neither of us are very smart.

  9. Likes fedexnuno Liked this post
  10. #29
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Local Union
    641
    Employer
    Retired New Penn
    Location
    Somewhere in South Carolina
    Posts
    25,964
    Rep Power
    378

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Once again I will explain ... not that you'll understand.
    H.D is NOT moving overseas. They already have 4 plants in different areas of the world.
    They are moving production of bikes meant for European export to facilities where the tariffs won't affect them.
    Just like Polaris industries ( Indian motorcycles ) and many other manufacturers of products are doing to avoid loss of sales and doing an end run around the tariff issues.
    Smart business people.

    Just like Trump exclaimed that he is a smart business person because he didn't pay taxes for many years. Remember that ?
    You and I paid our taxes, so I guess neither of us are very smart.
    Well now if there are no tariffs,do you think that HD will keep that production in the US?? And what happened to the liberal cry about how tariffs will be ultimately paid for by consumers? The left puts out some very confusing soundbites..As far as the EU tariffs?? Kinda think Trump won that yesterday. Mexico going to Washington today..Let's see how that works out.

  11. #30
    Retired !

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    107
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    18,473
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Well now if there are no tariffs,do you think that HD will keep that production in the US?? And what happened to the liberal cry about how tariffs will be ultimately paid for by consumers? The left puts out some very confusing soundbites..As far as the EU tariffs?? Kinda think Trump won that yesterday. Mexico going to Washington today..Let's see how that works out.
    Not if they pay now to move it. Why should it cost them more to move production back. Good business acumen.

    As for the "liberal cry" you mentioned. Isn't that similar to the wing nut cry I always hear. Suck it up. Do your part.
    Tariffs are like taxes ( and strappy said it before ) in the end, the consumer always pays.

    Finally, what happened yesterday is all talks and I'll wait for results.
    Maybe giving away 12 BILLION in aid to farmers is what you meant. And you right wingnuts talk about socialism. Take from one and give to the other.
    That's winning ?

 

 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •