New Penn "Change of operations"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Penn "Change of operations"

New Penn has requested additional employees for a new service at the velocity centers.

New Penn requests additional headcount
    New Penn Motor Express, the Northeast regional U.S. unit of less-than-truckload (LTL) carrier YRC Worldwide Inc. (NASDAQ: YRCW), has notified the Teamsters union that it plans to add utility employee positions for “improved service and growth.”
    The proposed “change of operations” would add 86 utility employees traveling within a 175-mile proximity of “three newly established regional velocity centers” in Newburgh, New York, and Scranton and Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, New Penn stated in the notice on Friday.
    The change is expected to eliminate approximately 50 layover trips, which would allow more employees to return home nightly. The 86 positions would originate from 12 terminals within the new regional velocity centers, New Penn stated. It does not reduce the number of local cartage employees at these centers, it said. The change would not alter any terminal’s assigned pickup and delivery area, according to New Penn.
    New Penn has requested a hearing date of Feb. 25, with implementation no sooner than March 22.
    https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ne...onal-headcount

Re: New Penn "Change of operations"

Just another wet dream by the idiots that run yrc,who couldn't make money if they had no competition.

Comment

The facts are not out and confirmed yet....but "adding employees".......is not what this does of course.
      It looks like road drivers become utility drivers....
      They don't have enough freight for everybody now. They've only had a couple layoffs involving a few guys for a few weeks in the last 15 year's where I'm at....and freight now seems like it's past the point of layoff time. It is slow.
      YRC should be ashamed of themselves....but they have no shame.
      All the freight and hard working people they had here and it's becoming a ghost town with freight.
      They have no choice but do something. It is dry. It's slow everywhere for all carriers but they are just idiots.
      When somebody says educated businessmen know what they are doing.......that is a joke.
      They know how to land themselves $500,000 jobs for themself and that's about it.
      I have no faith in education or business.
      If drivers started running the place 12 years ago we would have more freight than we would know what to do with and it would've gotten picked up and delivered on time and in one piece.......YRC....foolish board members who pay way too much to people who don't improve anything.
      $100, 000/ year would have been way overpaying anybody in Overland Park for the last 12 year's.

Comment

Newburgh moved into the YRC terminal in Mayrook. Evidently they have many doors they can use. But when I worked the dock it was in the original terminal. The bumpers on the doors kept a lot of the wind out and that terminal can get very cold on a windy winter day. YRC doesn't have bumpers to my knowledge unless they installed them recently. I wouldn't want to work the dock there. And after reading the change of it goes through is going to cost jobs in the long run. They are adding jobs to terminals that cannot hire regular drivers. I see this as a total flop for YRC and hopefully not the end of NewPenn.

Comment

An already tried and failed idea from YRC. They'll never learn.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

One thing they are good at is wasting time.
            They have come up with so many ways to waste more and more time than Teamsters.
            I still think the problem is the 53's....racking.
            It's just time consuming. Nothing fast about it.
            So now we take road drivers, most of the guys who stick it out and switch to utility have not been on the dock since we started using the 53's. Not gonna make time with that move. And if they are used to a certain pay/week.....do we really think they will work harder and faster for less?
            Most probably they will work the speed it takes to maintain their pay or make more.
            So. We have guys who will make a dollar more/hour than city drivers...replacing a lower rate dock worker?
            And this will make money?
            It might rub some guys noses in it by having road guys bump into the city and knock 8 hour bid guys back to 9 hour bids...and knocking morning drivers back to afternoons and night shifts on the dock.
            They sure know how to make people love their jobs and trust them...not really......and that " happiness" imposed always is a huge money maker..not really.
            The 53 with racks still remains the money/time waster with this imo........53's....wide trailers....doubles...13 six's...102's.......barn doors......all garbage that slows stuff down unless we need for particular freight....just put it on the floor of the 45 and go....thats what works imo...no racks.
            Last edited by slavenomore; 01-30-2020, 10:35 PM.

Comment

This is just thinking. Who knows what will really happen?
              I guess road guys have been waiting and waiting long hours for a long time now. We had a lot of freight even with the 53's. Too much freight. The problem was how late it came in for city to get off dock.
              But now it is slowed. Why not go back to what worked which was the 45. One trailer size made it all much easier imo. Easier for the driver. Easier and quicker for dock too imo. A few years back, as many houses were being built and distribution centers and stores and strip malls....they started putting up signs even on double-yellow lined roads which say "No trailers over 45 foot".
              The 45,12-6", 96 or 98, roll down door trailer is the simplest most perfect trailer for the job here. If you have more drivers than freight, which we are finally back to....why not go back to what worked.....instead of all of the miserable dock time using load bars and loading and unloading big stupid all night 53's?
              Who knows?
              The changing constantly wastes alot of time...too much thinking....it all slows everything down.
              A mindset of speed was replaced with long tedious BS thinking stuff...It makes everything into slow motion.
              Last edited by 222lifer; 01-31-2020, 07:41 AM. Reason: Language

Comment

Originally posted by slavenomore View Post
                This is just thinking. Who knows what will really happen?
                I guess road guys have been waiting and waiting long hours for a long time now. We had a lot of freight even with the 53's. Too much freight. The problem was how late it came in for city to get off dock.
                But now it is slowed. Why not go back to what worked which was the 45. One trailer size made it all much easier imo. Easier for the driver. Easier and quicker for dock too imo. A few years back, as many houses were being built and distribution centers and stores and strip malls....they started putting up signs even on double-yellow lined roads which say "No trailers over 45 foot".
                The 45,12-6", 96 or 98, roll down door trailer is the simplest most perfect trailer for the job here. If you have more drivers than freight, which we are finally back to....why not go back to what worked.....instead of all of the miserable dock time using load bars and loading and unloading big stupid all night 53's?
                Who knows?
                The changing constantly wastes alot of time...too much thinking....it all slows everything down.
                A mindset of speed was replaced with long tedious BS thinking stuff...It makes everything into slow motion.
                Slave, I can say in the few years I spent on the dock I can say I agree with you. But a whole lot is on the outbound supervisors. Many times I would be told to move a 3//4 head load so the OS would get credit for the tonnage . Or just before close outs OS would have you combine loads. So much waste due to management.
                As far as this Change of operations goes? Doubt they can make it work..But sadly the thugs in charge will continue to get their mega bonuses.
                What I see coming are plenty of late trailers in the mornings and P&D guys getting out late. That will turn into missed pickups. I agree that they should just go back to the system that worked. You know ,when Newpenn ran in the low 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy View Post
                  Slave, I can say in the few years I spent on the dock I can say I agree with you. But a whole lot is on the outbound supervisors. Many times I would be told to move a 3//4 head load so the OS would get credit for the tonnage . Or just before close outs OS would have you combine loads. So much waste due to management.
                  As far as this Change of operations goes? Doubt they can make it work..But sadly the thugs in charge will continue to get their mega bonuses.
                  What I see coming are plenty of late trailers in the mornings and P&D guys getting out late. That will turn into missed pickups. I agree that they should just go back to the system that worked. You know ,when Newpenn ran in the low 80's...
                  YRC is waaaaaaay to smart for the simple system which made money. They're not gonna let that happen. Losing money is their goal it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by slavenomore View Post
                    YRC is waaaaaaay to smart for the simple system which made money. They're not gonna let that happen. Losing money is their goal it seems.
                    They need to shrink it Slave. Losing customers is a never fail plan thought up by YRC executives. Remember the merger? 30,000 jobs gone in the blink of an eye.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

Message to YRC.......There is NO EXCUSE for losing money and low freight levels with all of this......Earn your big bucks Overland Park......we,at New Penn should feel totally secure in our jobs with all of this....and all YRC wants to do is wreck everything it seems....NO EXCUSE FOR LOW FREIGHT LEVELS AND LACK OF PROFITS.
                      https://www.theamericanconservative....her-for-trump/

the Lehigh Valley is also among the nation’s largest logistics hubs, ranking second globally for growth in industrial rents. Its highway network is packed with trucks at all hours, which serve 40 percent of U.S. consumers along the eastern seaboard.

Comment

Why,with all of the opportunity for freight(posted right above "second largest GLOBALLY)........would you take drivers and put them on the dock? It would seem you need more drivers not less......and then the whole COO coming may cause alot of guys going from road to city...bumping guys onto stupid shifts they got off of a long time ago.......seems they have a goal to make drivers quit.
                        All of this available freight and city drivers now do the same as road...go places and sit and weight for trailers to be loaded.....a lot of drivers on both boards just waiting.....not moving. Are the few customers we sit at really paying so much more than others could pay?
                        I don't know the whole money deal....but when I see guys just sitting and waiting for hours and hours everyday....can we be making any money?
                        Then, with all of this available freight we have guys with CDL only going out for a few hours and doing half or most of a shift on dock.
                        I have no clue why, with all the available freight here...why would you take road drivers and pit them on dock...
                        And push people into wanting to quit.
                        It doesn't seem to make any sense.
                        The new DC's like 53's. That's one difference.
                        Seems if they really wanted to profit they need more drivers. And they'd need to up the wages....and go back to the banks and say "we need to make money so we need more drivers and must up the pay"
                        The government is $20+ trillion in debt and they don't change......YRC needs to tell the banks...the government keeps going....we are gonna too....wait for your money we must increase Teamster pay to get more drivers.

Comment

Working...
                        X