Old Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Days

Remember when tractors had three peddles for us to use when driving a truck?

How about two and sometimes three shifters.

When all we had to do for quite time was turn the CB off. When you stopped at a truck stop and sat around a table and ate and told stories about your trip.
    I remember those days and my Brothers that I enjoyed running with. Most of them are gone now but seems like just yesterday to me. We worked hard and we played hard. We became a Brotherhood not by being union or nonunion but because of the hard dangerous job we did.

As truck drivers we need to get back to this way of life. We are losing ground to the companies everyday. Oh it was tough back in the day but it was rewarding. So if you could I would like for everyone to bend down and help another Brother out who is going through hard times right now.

There is a saying from the old days” You will never stand taller than when you reach down and help a Brother up. YOUR HUMBELED BROTHER ALWAYS!

Re: Old Days

Originally posted by MULER View Post
    Remember when tractors had three peddles for us to use when driving a truck?

How about two and sometimes three shifters.

When all we had to do for quite time was turn the CB off. When you stopped at a truck stop and sat around a table and ate and told stories about your trip.
    I remember those days and my Brothers that I enjoyed running with. Most of them are gone now but seems like just yesterday to me. We worked hard and we played hard. We became a Brotherhood not by being union or nonunion but because of the hard dangerous job we did.

As truck drivers we need to get back to this way of life. We are losing ground to the companies everyday. Oh it was tough back in the day but it was rewarding. So if you could I would like for everyone to bend down and help another Brother out who is going through hard times right now.

There is a saying from the old days” You will never stand taller than when you reach down and help a Brother up. YOUR HUMBELED BROTHER ALWAYS!
    It was so much better back in the day.. First job I worked when I was on the bottom of the list they had to rent a tractor and it was me and one other just below me and the boss asked if I could drive a quadroplex, before I could answer one of the senior guys answered for me.. I took the truck on a boston run.. I probably stopped a hundred times on the way up to Boston to put it back into gear but by the time I got back I knew how to drive that thing.. nothing like a rookie and the grinding of gears.. If only they sold time machines on Amazon..

Comment

Comment

Snowshoe truck stop was a great place to eat. Peanut butter pie was the best.

Comment

How about a Ford with 534 gas job with a 5x4 two club tranny.Forget where your at, coast over to the shoulder and start over.

Comment

I had never even heard of a two stick transmission until my first day as a casual at Red Star. All the city tractors were old MB Macks. Luckily a yard switcher saw me sitting against the fence with a dumb look on my face. He took the time to explain how to shift with the second stick.

I have to agree with Muler. Things were so much better back in the day. Teamsters were brothers and stuck together. Stewards ran a tight job. At my first job with a Teamster Air Freight company in 1969 the men all stuck together. They worked and partied hard. When I started at Red Star in 1977 it was a much bigger seniority list. But there were so many old timers that would offer help and advice. Local 560 had a shape hall and the steward always found work for us guys on the bottom. But over the years the old timers retired and the measter mentality started to appear.

When I started at ABF in 2004 things were much different. That is where I got my first experiences with a couple of selfish back stabbing whores. I had never seen a job where so called Teamsters wrote letters to the company ratting out their union coworkers. And the sad part was that the union didn't do anything about it. It angered me to the point that I refused to ever speak with them again.

I'm retired 10 years and don't know if they are still there. I'm sure Wizard remembers those whores and will back me up on it....................... I'm afraid the good old days are long gone
            Last edited by 2631; 12-04-2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1484-1075 View Post
              How about a Ford with 534 gas job with a 5x4 two club tranny.Forget where your at, coast over to the shoulder and start over.
              learned how to drive in a 1956 B model Mack duplex.
              Like you said you forget start looking for a place to stop and start all over again.

Comment

I never drove for ABF because I worked my whole career on the dock. I remember when I started… there was a forklift for every 5 doors which I rarely even got a chance to use one anyway for the first couple years till I got enough seniority to gradually get away from all the nothing but hand freight loads.

We had the old high beam gasoline Yales.

Our head union Steward never got a load to work… just went around all day talking to the members about any grievances they may have and inform us on anything new going on with the local and IBT.

Remember… that’s when everyone respected seniority along with the old timer’s themselves… at least I sure did because all I did for the first couple years was to keep my mouth shut and watch… listen and learn. The old timers let you know right off the bat what it meant to be a Teamster Brother… inform you about union affairs and the Teamster’s history… how the companies played games come contract time … sticking up for you union Brothers… respect seniority… never… ever forget those who sacrificed so much to earn what we have today and to keep fighting to move forward… never backwards. Boy… times sure have changed!!!

I was actually proud to be a Teamster! Which I still am to this day because of the Teamsters of the past fighting and sacrificing so much to earn the decent pay and benefits I received my whole career and especially the pension I’m now receiving… and for that… I’m mighty grateful and always will be.

Let’s just hope the next Teamster president tries to reverse the damage Junior has done to his dad’s legacy and bring that same kind of pride and dignity we had back in the day. And he can start with throwing out that “company friendly” BS.

Comment

Originally posted by 2631 View Post
                  I had never even heard of a two stick transmission until my first day as a casual at Red Star. All the city tractors were old MB Macks. Luckily a yard switcher saw me sitting against the fence with a dumb look on my face. He took the time to explain how to shift with the second stick.

I have to agree with Muler. Things were so much better back in the day. Teamsters were brothers and stuck together. Stewards ran a tight job. At my first job with a Teamster Air Freight company in 1969 the men all stuck together. They worked and partied hard. When I started at Red Star in 1977 it was a much bigger seniority list. But there were so many old timers that would offer help and advice. Local 560 had a shape hall and the steward always found work for us guys on the bottom. But over the years the old timers retired and the measter mentality started to appear.

When I started at ABF in 2004 things were much different. That is where I got my first experiences with a couple of selfish back stabbing whores. I had never seen a job where so called Teamsters wrote letters to the company ratting out their union coworkers. And the sad part was that the union didn't do anything about it. It angered me to the point that I refused to ever speak with them again.

I'm retired 10 years and don't know if they are still there. I'm sure Wizard remembers those whores and will back me up on it....................... I'm afraid the good old days are long gone
                  I hear this a lot. And what I have found to be the case more times than not is the root cause is a bad union steward and or a bad BA. They get lazy and just start letting working conditions erode.

Then workers grow to think every man for himself. Hence the letter writing and ratting Brothers out.

I didn’t allow that and some were angered and most appreciated it.

Comment

10 years?...10 years!!!!....I'm just stunned,can't believe it's been 10 years since you retired...Unbelievable...In the blink of an eye,just seems like yesterday we were standing on Baker&Taylor's dock in the middle of summer sweating our nuts off...Remember how hot it was there?...It's been awhile 2631...I hope and pray you and everyone in your family are in the best of health and enjoying their life...

The people you mentioned in your post are all gone,have been for awhile,and your assessment of them being selfish bastards was right on the money...Although you would recognize many familiar faces,the bulk of the list is filled with young Teamsters who are hard workers and very respectful,but for one reason or another,basically have no sense of history,but that's the world we live in today...

''I'm afraid the good old days are long gone''...Yes 2631,they are...In the old days when we were young,as young men we had a sense,a respect,an admiration,a reverence for the old days because we knew instinctively the 'sacrifices' that were made,on our behalf,by the thousands of men and women so we could have a better life...That was our sense of history,whether it was American history,Teamster history,Cultural history,whatever....Young people today,not so much,and it doesn't much matter what history your talking about...

Young people today look at you only quickly,as they would a post or gate,saving their more intense concentration for one another,as if your invisible ...And that's why for someone our age it's such a pleasure when older people look at you knowingly,for what you have seen,what you have done,for the wars you have lived through,the pains you feel,the energy you lack,the history you've lived,and your bittersweet knowledge that you are not young anymore...And may God Bless each and everyone of them...

With that being said,everything you stated about Red-Star is exactly how it was APA...I've always missed the solidarity amongst the men at APA...We all stuck together facing our biggest adversary,which was Arthur of course,who recently passed away,may he RIP...That 'old school' mentality is never coming back,and it will disappear when we disappear from this life...That's the shame of it...God Bless and take care 2631...

Comment

Originally posted by wizard View Post
                      10 years?...10 years!!!!....I'm just stunned,can't believe it's been 10 years since you retired...Unbelievable...In the blink of an eye,just seems like yesterday we were standing on Baker&Taylor's dock in the middle of summer sweating our nuts off...Remember how hot it was there?...It's been awhile 2631...I hope and pray you and everyone in your family are in the best of health and enjoying their life...

The people you mentioned in your post are all gone,have been for awhile,and your assessment of them being selfish bastards was right on the money...Although you would recognize many familiar faces,the bulk of the list is filled with young Teamsters who are hard workers and very respectful,but for one reason or another,basically have no sense of history,but that's the world we live in today...

''I'm afraid the good old days are long gone''...Yes 2631,they are...In the old days when we were young,as young men we had a sense,a respect,an admiration,a reverence for the old days because we knew instinctively the 'sacrifices' that were made,on our behalf,by the thousands of men and women so we could have a better life...That was our sense of history,whether it was American history,Teamster history,Cultural history,whatever....Young people today,not so much,and it doesn't much matter what history your talking about...

Young people today look at you only quickly,as they would a post or gate,saving their more intense concentration for one another,as if your invisible ...And that's why for someone our age it's such a pleasure when older people look at you knowingly,for what you have seen,what you have done,for the wars you have lived through,the pains you feel,the energy you lack,the history you've lived,and your bittersweet knowledge that you are not young anymore...And may God Bless each and everyone of them...

With that being said,everything you stated about Red-Star is exactly how it was APA...I've always missed the solidarity amongst the men at APA...We all stuck together facing our biggest adversary,which was Arthur of course,who recently passed away,may he RIP...That 'old school' mentality is never coming back,and it will disappear when we disappear from this life...That's the shame of it...God Bless and take care 2631...
                      That is a nice post. 2631 I think you made a friend back in the day. lol

Comment

That is a nice post. 2631 I think you made a friend back in the day. lol
                        Yes, wizard is a friend. He is one of the hardest working stand up Teamsters that I have known. But I didn't realize back then what a gifted philosopher he was.

Comment

Yes, wizard is a friend. He is one of the hardest working stand up Teamsters that I have known. But I didn't realize back then what a gifted philosopher he was.
                          There's nothing like having a good friend in your older years 2631... especially when it comes to reminiscing about the good ole years.

Comment

The first Teamster that helped me was Billy Beal. He has long since passed but him and his son Bobby taught me how to work the dock. Was taught to drive by Dick Brown and Phil Elrod. I couldn’t thank them enough.

And when my ability to know the contract seems to upset some people they need to know I studied it and Applied it always to honor them and all those who helped me on my Teamster journey.

Comment

The first Teamster that helped me was Billy Beal. He has long since passed but him and his son Bobby taught me how to work the dock. Was taught to drive by Dick Brown and Phil Elrod. I couldn’t thank them enough.

And when my ability to know the contract seems to upset some people they need to know I studied it and Applied it always to honor them and all those who helped me on my Teamster journey.

And what a journey that turned out to be... lol

I bet that Billy would of been proud of what kind of Teamster you turned out to be... just as I think Bobby...Dick and Phil would of if they don't already know!!!
                              Last edited by Docker; 12-12-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X