This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a carhauler?

I read this many years ago and recently ran accross it again. I thought some of the younger drivers out there might enjoy this.

I'M A CAR HAULER
    BY Jeff Hammons

Sometimes when meeting new people, the conversation turns to, "And what do you do for a living?" Up until about a year ago, I would always reply my standard, "Oh, I deliver new cars from the factory to the dealer," and leave it at that. I would try to be careful not to use the words "Truck driver" in my description. Past practice had shown me to do so would have me sitting there listening to hundreds of not very funny, fat, half-educated, big belt buckled, JB jokes.

Then one day after being introduced to a self-proclaimed, very important, button pusher, I answered the question like this, Using 25 levers to move 50 cylinders to build 11 decks, I take up to $400,000.00 worth of new cars,(which would be over 200 feet long, lined up end to end), and place them in a 75 foot long, 13 1/2 foot high box with four inches clearance, top and bottom, side to side, that will ride like that for 500 miles damage free. I do this rain or shine, day or night, hot or cold. I'm the biggest, slowest thing on the road. Whatever the obstacle, be it low bridges or tree limbs, traffic jams, breakdowns or road conditions, I'm up to the challenge, arriving on time, safe and sound at my destination. I often face next to impossible unloading, that includes working out in busy streets, where motorists give me the same respect that they give to a snake trying to cross there. As numbers go, there are not many like me; as people go; there are not many that can do what I do
    "I'M A CAR HAULER!"

Re: What is a carhauler?

bluescity? this brought back memories, this is a true car hauler, i have done everything thats said. but i have been laid off since feb,09......i really miss it.

Comment

This posted on our board at work thanks for putting it out there for everyone

Comment

Same here

Comment

You guys have a stressfulll and tenuous job! Thanks for doing what you do! I would not want to do your job and you guys probably wouldn't want to do mine! Keep up the good work.......CARHAURLERS!!!!!

Comment

With all that said and done, we deserve to be paid every penny we make and more. Don't let our negotiaters, and coworkers forget what we do for a living. Vote "No" for any more concessions. We do one of the hardest jobs in the trucking industry,and do it well, so lets not do it for any less than what we deserve to be paid.

Comment

Amen, brother!

Comment

ex-cooper waitin 4 the day to be hired on with cassens or allied ,carhualer at heart

Comment

Retired from JCT in July 2002...The last few years with them was like the good old days with United before JCT bought us out...When JCT first bought us...the son in law was running things and every terminal was ran in Nazi like fashion..Seems all they cared about was half-rate traffic and driver harrassment.When Old Thom passed and left it all to Timmy.....things changed....overnite....for the better...A COMPLETE change of attitude through out the system...New trucks...new traffic and the old United way of thinking....Let's run hard and make money...Yep ..the last few years of my career were some of the best..( no pressure..or harrasment.)Although the 70s were pretty darn good

Comment

Originally posted by Old Tex View Post
                    Retired from JCT in July 2002...The last few years with them was like the good old days with United before JCT bought us out...When JCT first bought us...the son in law was running things and every terminal was ran in Nazi like fashion..Seems all they cared about was half-rate traffic and driver harrassment.When Old Thom passed and left it all to Timmy.....things changed....overnite....for the better...A COMPLETE change of attitude through out the system...New trucks...new traffic and the old United way of thinking....Let's run hard and make money...Yep ..the last few years of my career were some of the best..( no pressure..or harrasment.)Although the 70s were pretty darn good
                    Well the Nazis I hate to tell you are back in town.

Comment

I have had this printed and on my wall for the last 10 years or so. Every few years I print it out and post it at work. Management tears it down within the first day ......every time. Got to love it.
                      Last edited by ; 09-16-2011, 07:46 AM.

Comment

With pride i also did not like to say i am a truck driver.Any cluck can hold a wheel.I can proudly say i hauled pintos,vega's and so many more.I'm going into my 13th year and i am so thankful every first of the month when its payday.I need to say i have dreamed about my job for years and its not a good dream.I am always tearing up a load of cars.I also have been in dealers that i couldn't get out of.In my dream i had a 250 ford fall off a truck on a fellow driver.(I SAW )who it was.I started when there was no foreign car plants and remember feeling like it was slave labor in the plants in Japan.When i hauled Toyota's to dealers on Dec 7 i alway's reminded them that of the day?The pride to say how i got my job?Totally not an accident also the pride of my son following in my footsteps.Enough for now i could write for days about low bridges,a caddy falling off,(God bless) Scooter out!

Comment

Shared this on my blog do to the fact of the today's American Driver (auto driver mainly) which ain't worth a crap with respect for rules of driving. It's like there is no rules enforced on the road anymore and with city budgets needing all the help they could get, you would think traffic duty would be at the top of the list with citations bring in the city revenue cause there are plenty of idiot drivers out there these days. Twisted Evil

Comment

Working...
                          X