Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Organizing the Cannabis Industry

Looks like the federal government has decided to research cannabis more, which may lead to downgrade controlled substance classification.
    After the success of certain states to collect millions in taxes, somebody higher up has decided there's money to be made in that stuff !

The DEA just made a huge change to how the government treats medical marijuana
    The federal government announced plans to expand cannabis research Monday, paving the way for the robust clinical trials cannabis experts believe will force the government to downgrade marijuana’s Controlled Substances Act classification.
    The decision comes just two days before a key deadline in a lawsuit against the agency brought by cannabis researcher Dr. Sue Sisley of the Scottsdale Research Institute. Sisley had sought to end three years of stalling by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
    Monday’s regulatory filing, and the warm remarks from Attorney General William Barr that accompanied it in a press release, effectively mean Dr. Sisley’s won. Coupled with Barr’s ardently anti-pot predecessor Jeff Sessions’ departure, progress toward looser federal treatment of cannabis may resume.
    Monday’s announcement is likely to provide a major boost to the push for federal decriminalization or even legalization.
    “The only thing keeping it schedule I at this point is that, according to the DEA, there is no acceptable medical use in the United States for marijuana,” Pennington said. “Now, how do you get that? Through clinical trials that show it’s safe and effective. And who’s the gatekeeper there? The DEA and the FDA.”
    https://thinkprogress.org/dea-conced...-2d60015acd1d/

2. Likes fedexnuno Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

IMO These unions can work together. UFW grow it, UFCW sell it, Teamsters haul it.

Labor unions see organizing California marijuana workers as a way to grow

Unions have caught a whiff of a rare opportunity to organize a whole new set of workers as recreational marijuana becomes legal in California.

The United Farm Workers, Teamsters and United Food and Commercial Workers are looking to unionize the tens of thousands of potential workers involved in the legal weed game, from planters to rollers to sellers. The move could provide a boost to organized labor’s lagging membership — if infighting doesn’t get in the way.

The United Farm Workers, co-founded by iconic labor leader Cesar Chavez, says that organizing an industry rooted in agriculture is a natural fit, and that growers could label their products with the union’s logo as a marketing strategy.

“If you’re a cannabis worker, the UFW wants to talk with you,” national Vice President Armando Elenes said.

But United Food and Commercial Workers, which represents grocery store employees, meat packers and retail workers, registered its intent to organize cannabis workers across the country.

“We would hope they respect our jurisdiction,” UFCW spokesman Jeff Ferro said.

Teamsters organizer Kristin Heidelbach said there’s no need for unions to battle each other. There will be plenty of workers needing representation as small cannabis businesses run by “happy stoner” types give way to large pharmaceutical corporations, she said.
    https://stockdailydish.com/labor-uni...a-way-to-grow/
    Last edited by ABFwife; 11-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.

4. Likes fxstc07, 222lifer Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

'We’ve been the silent majority': Inside the union fight at Green Thumb Industries

To understand the situation at GTI, the Times met with employees on both sides of the unionization battle. Disagreements were numerous — including which side has majority support from workers.
    “We love our jobs, and we truly care about one another,” Almquist said about her colleagues. “It’s not just about today and tomorrow...It’s about the future.”

Almquist and colleague Tonya Townsend say frustration at GTI goes back to last fall when the company took away a paid holiday. Since then, they allege, GTI has forced five weeks of mandatory overtime, stopped matching employee 401ks and taken away bonuses.
    Their union effort went public on Sept. 11, when a group of employees walked into work wearing shirts depicting the Teamsters logo around a marijuana leaf.

In October, Teamsters filed four complaints with the National Labor Relations Board against GTI alleging that employees were illicitly questioned and retaliated against for their union organizing, among other things.
    https://qctimes.com/news/local/we-ve...4be354abf.html

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

The first company in Massachusetts to organize in the cannabis industry.

Marijuana company’s workers vote to unionize, a first in Mass
    Employees of the Massachusetts marijuana company Sira Naturals have unionized, the first workforce to do so in the state’s rapidly expanding legal cannabis industry.

More than two-thirds of Sira’s 115 eligible workers — including 85 at its Milford cultivation and manufacturing facility, plus 30 at its dispensaries in Needham and Somerville — voted Wednesday to join Local 1445 of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, or UFCW.

The vote followed a so-called labor peace agreement between Sira and the UFCW, under which the company allowed union representatives to organize workers at its locations without objection or interference.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/mar...tAVKc35Gbaj2bw

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

They might just live to regret this.

GTI workers vote against forming union in 26-30 election

ROCK ISLAND — A union will not be formed at Rock Island’s cannabis cultivation center.

A majority of voting employees at Green Thumb Industries voted Tuesday not to join the Teamsters union, according to the National Labor Relations Board. The vote, which needed a simple majority to pass, failed 26-30.

The NLRB’s site says all full-time and regular part-time delivery drivers, marijuana infused product manufacturers and workers in warehouse, order fulfillment, processing and packaging, quality and extraction voted.

The following jobs were excluded from voting: grow, maintenance, office clerical, those employed through a temporary placement agency, professional, managers, guards and supervisors.
    The unionization effort — led by International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 371 — began about three months ago at the cannabis cultivation center at 8221 51st St. W, in southwest Rock Island.
    https://qctimes.com/news/local/gti-w...868deef03.html

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Workers in Joliet have voted to join the UFCW local 881.

Marijuana workers in Joliet vote to join union
    Ninety-five employees at a Joliet marijuana cultivation facility voted Tuesday to unionize.
    With a final tally of 58 – 37, the Cresco Labs employees opted to join United Food and Commercial Workers Local 881.
    It’s the first time that workers in Illinois’ marijuana industry have opted to unionize since recreational pot use among adults was legalized.
    “This victory is the workers’,” said Zach Koutsky, the legislative and political director for UFCW Local 881, adding that the employees “literally made history tonight.”
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/cannabi...KWoVJ7TkETQjaY

9. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

I know people who use the medical stuff...I think it should be just like a barroom or state store for liquor.
    I think the stuff is much stronger than what I knew as a teen. They get really relaxed. But after smoking it...when they come down....they have serious rage problems...Just what I see.
    There has been much science in the growing and they breed and change things for different effects.
    Too strong for the people I know who use it.
    It's also a racket....just about anybody can go to certain doctors to approve them for the state card.
    But the prescriptions are basically unlimited...and cash only...I don't think insurance can be used.
    What prescription allows you to go back for more multiple times/week........mine are usually 30 day at a time prescriptions for my prescriptions. I wouldn't use the marijuana prescription if I had it.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by slavenomore View Post
    It's also a racket....just about anybody can go to certain doctors to approve them for the state card.
    But the prescriptions are basically unlimited...and cash only...I don't think insurance can be used.
    What prescription allows you to go back for more multiple times/week........mine are usually 30 day at a time prescriptions for my prescriptions. I wouldn't use the marijuana prescription if I had it.
    I just read this reply. If a person doesn't know the facts, then this is exactly how mis-information touches the uninformed.

As with New Jersey, Pennsylvania residents must have certain qualifying conditions in order to get a card.
    Why would any doctor risk their medical license to prescribe medical marijuana if the patient doesn't have proof of one of the conditions needed ?
    Any patient wanting MM must provide medical records proving they have the conditions allowed.
    Prescriptions are NOT unlimited.
    A patient gets a prescribed amount for a month, with continuing refills for up to a year. You can't exceed your monthly limit. ( No different then with pills ! )
    It is a cash business due to the federal government laws. Credit card companies and banks are stuck in the middle, so they won't transact business with those legal medical marijuana companies.
    Insurance does NOT cover MM.

Facts first ... not hearsay.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Now, more about organizing the cannabis industry.

Unions Scramble To Gain Traction In Cannabis
    Although there are more legal cannabis workers in the U.S. than ever before, labor union leaders acknowledge they still face an uphill battle – with both employers and employees – in gaining traction in the growing industry.

Increasingly, however, workers in states with legal REC and MED markets are turning to labor unions to procure workplace protections. The industry’s emergence from the shadows also represents an opportunity for the labor movement.

Although the industry is now more mainstream than it has ever been – 33 states have legalized some form of cannabis use, and five more will vote on doing so next month – organizing a union can still be a tough sell, said Kristin Heidelbach, director of the Teamsters’ Cannabis Division in California. She blamed the resistance, which she has experienced from both workers and their bosses, on an overall lack of awareness about what unions can do.
    https://www.benzinga.com/markets/can...on-in-cannabis

13. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Organize !

TEAMSTERS LOCAL 777 FILE FOR ELECTION AT MOCA LOGAN SQUARE
    An overwhelming majority of the workers at Modern Cannabis (MOCA) in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago have signed authorization cards for an NLRB election that will allow them to become members of Teamsters Local 777.

“This is the second location at this company where the workers have filed for an election to join the Teamsters,” said Jim Glimco, President of Local 777. “Cannabis professionals throughout both Illinois and North America realize that the union that represents workers from A to Z – airline mechanics to zookeepers – is the best choice for a collective bargaining representative.”
    https://teamster.org/2021/05/teamste...-logan-square/

15. Likes 222lifer Liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123