Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Teamsters Work on Super Bowl Parade

Quote Originally Posted by 2631 View Post
    It's always been Taylor Ham to me. Down here in Myrtle Beach that 6 oz box costs us $3.29. Publix is the only grocery store that sells it. But with all the Jerseyites more and more bagel and sandwich shops have Taylor Ham on the menu.
    Funny we don't see it on the Bagel Shop menu's around here. Mostly because they are Jewish owned.
    Besides, if I do see it, it's an off brand and no where as good.
    BTW, that price isn't bad. Local Acme market has it for $3.69. I buy it the local Target for what you pay.

Best place to get that famous sandwich ... the lunch trucks sitting in the industrial parks catering to employees and truck drivers !

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Yes 2631...you've lived and worked in North Jersey...Taylor Ham is part of our ''DNA''...And don't get me going on about the Iconic 'JIMMY BUFF'S' Italian Hot Dogs which originated in Newark in 1932 by the Racioppi Family...The Italian hot dog is to Jersey what cheesesteak is to Philly...My wife is Sicilian and she's always 'LOVED' it...And trust me that is no small accomplishment...of course that's when we were younger...NOW...once in a while...Oh!!! TO BE YOUNG!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_hot_dog
    I don't think I've ever eaten at Jimmy Buffs but I've been to Dickie Dees on Bloomfield Avenue in Newark. We live for one year on Lake St right across from Branch Brook park next to the bus garage. I went to Barringer H.S. over by Sacred Heart Cathedral. Dickie Dees Italian hot dogs were the best I've ever eaten.

3. Likes wizard Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

I don't think I've ever eaten at Jimmy Buffs but I've been to Dickie Dees on Bloomfield Avenue in Newark. We live for one year on Lake St right across from Branch Brook park next to the bus garage. I went to Barringer H.S. over by Sacred Heart Cathedral. Dickie Dees Italian hot dogs were the best I've ever eaten.
    When I ran linehaul for Redstar you couldn't go to the Newark terminal without stopping at the food wagon by the front gate.. Although I didn't experience a whole lot but the egg sandwiches he made were some of the best I have ever had.. Another lunch truck was on Front street in front of the corrugated plant by the I 78 exit.. But since we went almost all organic taylor ham hasn't been on the menu..

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF Freightway

Yes 2631...Dickie Dees is a Landmark in Newark...As many people swear by Dickie Dees as they do Jimmy Buff's...Great Italian hot dog...We've known the Racioppi family for years...Both places have their LOYAL Customers...Remember this....

How to Make Classic Chicken Soup | Serious Eats

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    When I ran linehaul for Redstar you couldn't go to the Newark terminal without stopping at the food wagon by the front gate.. Although I didn't experience a whole lot but the egg sandwiches he made were some of the best I have ever had.. Another lunch truck was on Front street in front of the corrugated plant by the I 78 exit.. But since we went almost all organic taylor ham hasn't been on the menu..
    That was Vinny's Polka Dot lunch wagon. His name was Tony and he had a gold mine there. He made so much money that he opened a restaurant and catering business. He had a pot roast sandwich which was like home made.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF Freightway

Yes 2631...Dickie Dees is a Landmark in Newark...As many people swear by Dickie Dees as they do Jimmy Buff's...Great Italian hot dog...We've known the Racioppi family for years...Both places have their LOYAL Customers...Remember this....

How to Make Classic Chicken Soup | Serious Eats
    My Bad....I meant this one...

Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees | Serious Eats

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

Thanks wizard, Ting-A-Lings is another name from Bloomfield Avenue in North Newark. As I sit here reminiscing I hated living there back in 1962 but reminders like this make me feel good. Newark got a bad name after the riots but it's not all bad. It was a good union city. I worked most of my life there in Newark at Prudential Ins Co in 1965 and then in 1969 as a Teamster on South St. and then Delancey St.................The Portuguese have sure turned the Ironbound around.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

After a celebration week, a week of partying and joy, the city returned to violence.
    Weekend of Carnage Leaves 13 Shot, 4 Dead in Philadelphia
    Two more people, including a teenager, were shot in Philadelphia overnight bringing the total number of gunshot victims in just over 24 hours to 13.
    The overnight shootings brought the bloody total for Saturday night into early Monday to 13 shot and four dead.
    The deadly shootings added to a trend of an uptick in killings in the city. As of Sunday, there were 168 homicides in Philadelphia, up 20 percent from this same time last year and the highest total of homicides in Philadelphia at this date since 2012.
    https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...434920653.html

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

On a better note, this company gave all it's employees a paid day off for Eagles victory parade.
    I delivered, many times over the years, to this very small company located in the center of Glassboro.
    I thought this was something special. I also wondered how many large companies did anything like it ?
    Employees of a South Jersey-based company won't have to agonize whether it's worth missing a day's work to travel to Philadelphia to witness the Eagles' victory celebration Thursday.

They are all getting a paid day off so they and their families can experience the event in person.

"We wanted to be able to reward the folks who work here with something special that they will remember," Ron Meischker, chief operating officer of Erco, a ceiling installation and distribution company said Wednesday.
    Company's 100-plus workers get paid day off for Eagles' victory parade | NJ.com

11. Likes 2631, 222lifer Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Back to "Taylor Pork Roll" or ham ...

Pork roll is New Jersey’s treasured bacon B-side
    Any story written about New Jersey first addresses either its adversarial reputation, its relationship to the New York metro area, or its most famous exports: The Sopranos or Bruce Springsteen. What we should be talking about is breakfast meat.
    Thanks to Jersey’s bombastic reputation, celebrated restaurants enjoy a larger-than-life devotion: Benny Tudino’s Pizza in Hoboken, White House Sub Shop in Atlantic City, Dosa Hut in Jersey City, White Manna burgers in Hackensack, The Hot Grill’s Texas weiners in Clifton. These icons have been good enough for plenty of TV shows and newspaper profiles, but breakfast is true Jersey. With 500,000 estimated commuters rushing out of the Garden State for work, N.J. has turned the morning meal on the go into an art.
    And its masterpiece is pork roll.
    Deeply treasured by New Jerseyans, pork roll (also known as Taylor ham) is polarizing in title, but its salty appeal is shared by the state’s diverse residents. It’s a particularly localized entry in the taxonomy of sliced American breakfast meats, one nearly impossible to find outside its native habitat.
    My mouth is watering for a good egg and pork roll sandwich. But I can't have one.
    Been suffering with a gluten issue, possibly Celiac disease, but I must stay away from bagels and bread for the time being.

https://thetakeout.com/pork-roll-tay...eat-1830313080

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12