Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Protect Scabby the Rat at All Costs

This sounds very strange to me. I have a hard time believing the NLRB is in on this but I am posting this because I guess nothing would shock me anymore. I mean doesn't the NLRB have more important things to be attending to?
    Scabby the Rat is a good, wholesome rat. He is a bit cumbersome and rabid-looking, but he always fights the good fight on behalf of American workers. Naturally, Hell World is trying to take him down, and the National Labor Relations Board’s current leadership has just about had it with Scabby.

According to a report from Bloomberg Law, Peter Robb, the general counsel for the NLRB, has been working since April to find a way to overturn three decades worth of precedent and kill the 10-foot-tall labor symbol. “GC hates the rat,” an individual identified as a senior NLRB official told Bloomberg.

For roughly 30 years, Scabby has been protected as a First Amendment expression of protest, his name taken from the term “scab,” used against those who try to break strikes or cross picket lines. Robb, who joined the NLRB in November 2017, previously made his way as a lawyer representing a client in the elevator business. As a management-friendly attorney, he does not think such protections should apply to Scabby; according to the aforementioned senior NLRB official, Robb is hoping to make it so that no picketing, striking, or hand-billing can take place when Scabby is around.
    https://splinternews.com/protect-sca...sts-1831949666

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Protect Scabby the Rat at All Costs

Just googled it and I guess it is true! And this is a great article. Lots of history on Scabby.

Scabby The Rat, A Chicago Icon, Could Get Outlawed By Trump Appointee
    CHICAGO — Scabby the Rat could soon be facing extermination.

Scabby is a giant blow-up rat famous for being used by picketing union workers. But Peter Robb, the general counsel for the National Labor Relations Board, has been looking for a way to outlaw Scabby from being used in union demonstrations, according to a Bloomberg report.

Robb, who was nominated for his post by President Donald Trump, “hates the rat,” a board official told Bloomberg.

The Scabby balloon has become something of an icon in Chicago and is used by demonstrating workers throughout the city — and throughout the United States.

Scabby was first designed to be used by a suburban union in 1989. The balloons are made by Plainfield-based Big Sky Balloons, which makes other union blow-ups to draw attention to protests.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/01...ointee-report/

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

This is from the Bloomberg site. And another very good article.

Death to Scabby: Trump Labor Counsel Wants Protest Icon Deflated
    “I think the general counsel has been attempting to generate cases to give this board the opportunity to opine on the Obama board’s overreach and overturning of decades of precedent,” Michael Lotito, a management lobbyist at Littler Mendelson’s Workplace Policy Institute, said. “People think everything he’s doing has some preordained agenda behind it, but maybe he’s just fulfilling his responsibility to bring controversial cases to the board for resolution.”
    https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-...e-protest-icon

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    retired

Time for the rat to visit the NLRB, with peter rob's name on Scabby.

5. Likes ABFwife, 222lifer Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired; OHFL

Default Death to Scabby: Trump Labor Counsel Wants Protest Icon Deflated

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-...e-protest-icon

Scabby the Rat stands 12 to 30 feet tall, teeth bared and claws raised aggressively, with hungry, bloodshot eyes. The giant rodent’s sickly-looking underbelly refers to the ‘scab’ pejorative sometimes used by unions against strikebreakers, making it a global symbol of worker protest.

Courts and the National Labor Relations Board have issued rulings over three decades holding that the inflatables are permitted under federal labor laws or are symbolic speech protected by the First Amendment. But the NLRB’s current general counsel, Peter Robb, has had enough of the rat—to the point that since April 2018 he’s been looking for a case he can use to exterminate it, according to sources familiar with his thinking.

“GC hates the rat,” a senior NLRB official who asked not to be named due to the sensitivity of the issue, told Bloomberg Law. Robb “wants to find it unlawful to picket, strike or handbill with the rat present.”
    I guess they don't like seeing their image in the mirror.

7. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired; OHFL

Sorry for posting the same article. Missed seeing this thread!

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by RedRollingRoadblock View Post
    Sorry for posting the same article. Missed seeing this thread!
    No problem. That is what the merge link is for We always appreciate the posts!

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

“Scabby the Rat” Deflated When The Seventh Circuit Moves His Cheese
    Most business owners would shudder at the thought of rats being on their premises, but one rat is particularly unwelcome to employers – “Scabby the Rat.” This red-eyed, rather vicious looking rat-shaped balloon (sometimes as tall as 25 feet) has become a symbol used by labor unions across the country to publicize that they have a dispute with an employer.

No stranger to the courts, Scabby has been the subject of many legal challenges from the business and property owner communities. Nonetheless, in 2011, the National Labor Relations Board held that labor unions’ use of Scabby during strikes and protests is permissible. Other cases have firmly held that unions’ deployment of Scabby in labor disputes is a form of speech protected by the First Amendment.

Thus, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit’s February 14, 2019 decision in Construction and General Laborer’s Union No. 330 v. Town of Grand Chute, Wisconsin, which affirmed a Wisconsin town’s prohibition of a union’s use of Scabby, came as a surprise (and undoubtedly ruined the union’s Valentine’s Day). In its decision, the Court acknowledged the First Amendment’s protection of Scabby, but nonetheless found that the town’s prohibition of the union’s use of Scabby during a labor protest based on Scabby’s non-compliance with a local sign ordinance did not violate the union’s protected speech rights.
    https://www.natlawreview.com/article...-his-cheese-us

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

It really just boggles my mind that this is even something that is going to court!! An inflatable rat!

Is Scabby the Rat Headed for a Deflating Experience?
    Construction employers and general contractors are all too familiar with Scabby the Rat. The inflatable rat—appearing in sizes of up to a reported 30 feet tall—has infested construction job sites as part of trade union protest activities targeting employers that are not signatory to union labor agreements. Unions use the rat as an attention-grabber and a signal that an employer is using non-union labor. Construction employers will want to keep an eye on legal developments regarding the rat this year, including a recent Court of Appeals decision, and the potential for the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) to modify its approach to disputes involving rats under federal labor law.

Over the past 30-plus years, there has been significant litigation over efforts to exterminate the rats. There have been challenges under federal labor law by targeted employers asserting that the practice of displaying inflatable rats on job sites is unlawfully coercive toward secondary employers that are on the same site but not involved in the union’s dispute with the targeted contract. There also have been First Amendment-based legal challenges to efforts by local government units to rid their communities of rats and other signs and displays on public property and rights-of-way, for both safety and aesthetic purposes.
    https://www.natlawreview.com/article...ing-experience

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    It really just boggles my mind that this is even something that is going to court!! An inflatable rat!

Is Scabby the Rat Headed for a Deflating Experience?

https://www.natlawreview.com/article...ing-experience
    Scabby the Rat tends to send a strong message. The powers that be can't handle it. It's pretty simple. Do right by your workers and Scabby will be remain deflated.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast