bacon and eggs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bacon and eggs ?

I stopped at Petro just outside Knoxville Tn. the other morning to put gas in my F-150 and get a
    cup of coffee. It was about 4:00 in the morning , when I went in to drain the first cup of coffee
    and refill my travel mug , I was surprised that the restaurant was closed ! Sign said open 6 AM to 11 Pm.

Is this what so called full service truck stops do now? A driver who wants to get an early start can't
    even get a hot breakfast? Just a coffee and maybe a donut or 3 day old sandwich wrapped in plastic?

I no longer have reason , or desire , to stop at truck stops, but Ive noticed from the highway signs
    most of them seem to have gone the fast food route. The Knoxville Petro still has the restaurant , just
    not for the night owls.

I'm just an old fart reminiscing , but I remember some good meals at the Petro and TA
    full service restaurants back in the day....and belly busting meals at some of the Mom and Pop
    diners!

Should have seen this coming when Truckstops of America changed their name to Travel Centers.
    Ah well , that's my rant for today.

Re: bacon and eggs ?

Originally posted by x475 View Post
    I stopped at Petro just outside Knoxville Tn. the other morning to put gas in my F-150 and get a
    cup of coffee. It was about 4:00 in the morning , when I went in to drain the first cup of coffee
    and refill my travel mug , I was surprised that the restaurant was closed ! Sign said open 6 AM to 11 Pm.

Is this what so called full service truck stops do now? A driver who wants to get an early start can't
    even get a hot breakfast? Just a coffee and maybe a donut or 3 day old sandwich wrapped in plastic?

I no longer have reason , or desire , to stop at truck stops, but Ive noticed from the highway signs
    most of them seem to have gone the fast food route. The Knoxville Petro still has the restaurant , just
    not for the night owls.

I'm just an old fart reminiscing , but I remember some good meals at the Petro and TA
    full service restaurants back in the day....and belly busting meals at some of the Mom and Pop
    diners!

Should have seen this coming when Truckstops of America changed their name to Travel Centers.
    The TA in Lakepoint (near Tooele) still has a good restaurant along with a Burger King. Flying J next door has a Denny's. We dine at the TA every so often. Good soup and salad bar. Comfort foods at dinner and a nice selection for breakfast.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

I have noticed the fast food places in a few truck stops, usually they are Love's truck stops, but I'm sure others have followed suit. Generally I won't stop anymore because the overall majority served crappy food anyway.
      I remember back when I was an O/O and ran a lot of Philadelphia to Chicago. Out the turnpike the whole way, and then back. I always stopped at a small truck stop in North Lima Ohio. Best dang food I ever had in a truck stop. Fueled up there too.
      Never ate at the Calumet 76 ( Calumet City IL. ), but I parked there all the time and found my loads on the board there. Most of what I took out went to a place a mile from that truck stop.
      My first job for a private carrier had me out that way also. Picked up loads at Advance Transformer on North Western Ave in the city. Low bridges everywhere !

The only decent food was that place in North Lima ... not to be confused with Lima Ohio.

I just let my CDL lapse. I'll never work or drive again. I couldn't handle the B/S anymore.

Comment

I noticed also stopping at a Love's Truck stop on the way to Florida. Went in to pay for the gas and it was like walking into the food court in a shopping mall. We are not fast food people..

Comment

I know of a Petro that started closing the restaurant around 11pm and opens sometime in the morning.

Comment

Automated trucks don't need food nor parking lots to park in.
            Somebody's getting ready ahead of time.

Comment

For me it’s Loves where I usually stop here in the west, believe it or not there’s still some that a Denny’s is still serving hot meals...but the new Loves now have Chesters Chicken and McDonald’s

Comment

not for the night owls.

diners!

Just off I 84, near Burley ID, is one of the best chicken fried steaks you will ever eat. My buddy Al still frequents the place on his way to Pendleton OR. Sadly, other "great ones" I knew of have closed. A little BBQ place in Urie Wyoming and the family diner in Fillmore UT. They technically weren't considered a "truck stop" as they didn't have fuel on site but they had plenty of room for truck parking and the rigs were always there. Another that had great food when I was a kid could be found off I 84, outside Boise ID. "Grants Truck Stop" was the name then. It's called "The Stage Stop" now I think? We stopped there once on our annual trip to the coast a few years back and haven't been back. The food was just OK.

Comment

Judging by these posts it sounds like there's a few truckstops left that have the full serve restaurants. Sometimes when
                  my wife and I were traveling , I'd get off the interstate and roll thru whatever small town was there. Early morning , look
                  for the local mom and pop restaurant where all the pickups were parked. Farmers , truckers , construction workers , gathered
                  there for coffee , donuts or breakfast served with a large dose of gossip and bs. I think every small town has one of these hangouts.

Sometimes the waitress would have to search for menus for us , she didn't need them for the regulars , they knew
                  what she served and she knew what they wanted !

Comment

Judging by these posts it sounds like there's a few truckstops left that have the full serve restaurants. Sometimes when
                    my wife and I were traveling , I'd get off the interstate and roll thru whatever small town was there. Early morning , look
                    for the local mom and pop restaurant where all the pickups were parked. Farmers , truckers , construction workers , gathered
                    there for coffee , donuts or breakfast served with a large dose of gossip and bs. I think every small town has one of these hangouts.

Sometimes the waitress would have to search for menus for us , she didn't need them for the regulars , they knew
                    You need to bring the checkbook or Platinum Credit Card today.

Comment

I can say over the years some of the best restaurants we have eaten in were those non fancy little places where sometimes the chairs didn't match. I much more enjoyed the little places then the ones were you known that when you sit down your helping pay for the fancy fixtures. Not too many left anymore.. Those were the good days.

Comment

Working...
                      X