Covid-19 Profiteers Are Making a Killing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid-19 Profiteers Are Making a Killing

Amazon has got to be the big winner in this situation. And Walmart is too. I had a discussion with a greeter, a cashier and a manger at Walmart last Friday. We have a recent governor mandate of mandatory masks in public now. Walmart is not enforcing it. I made sure I made a complaint as that store has raked in the money while all our mom and pop stores have been shut down. The manager told me it is a police matter and that they cannot enforce people wearing masks. Yet I have been to several other stores that are doing just that. Well now that we are partial opening again, I can take my money elsewhere.

Two months after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared coronavirus a global pandemic, the United States stands as the nation with the most confirmed cases. The WHO warns that the worst is yet to come. Yet President Donald Trump has signaled that he wants the economy to reopen as soon as possible, despite countless warnings from public health experts that opening too soon can cause a spike in deaths.

Big corporations and their head honchos have joined the president in downplaying the dangers and gunning for a reopening. Elon Musk told SpaceX employees that it's more dangerous to drive a car than to be exposed to coronavirus. Hobby Lobby founder David Green made headlines when he claimed keeping his stores open was a part of God’s plan, and initially defied state shutdowns. Corporate-funded conservative groups like FreedomWorks are lobbying federal and state legislators and orchestrating astroturf anti-lockdown protests at state capitols. In April, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg joined the president on phone calls to discuss reopening the economy as soon as possible.

Perhaps denial is easy when you can afford to sequester yourself.
    http://inthesetimes.com/article/2253...king-a-killing
Working...
X