Holland sued over not hiring women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holland sued over not hiring women

This lawsuit, filed by the EEOC, states that one terminal violated the civil rights act.
    In my opinion, women drivers weren't always looking to break into the LTL side of driving.
    I only remember one women at CF. She lasted 2 years after making the list. Other then her, I never remember seeing any other ladies doing LTL work. Road work, for sure.

Feds say trucking company refused to hire female drivers for more than 30 years
    The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) filed suit against trucking company USF Holland, LLC on October 13, according to an EEOC news release.
    The alleged violation occurred at the USF Holland terminal located in Olive Branch, Mississippi.
    According to the EEOC suit USF Holland has employed “virtually no females as truck driver” at the Olive Branch location dating back to the opening of the terminal in 1986.

Authorities say that as of May 2016, more than 100 truck drivers were employed at the Olive Branch location and none were women.
    “…Qualified women with extensive truck driving experience have applied over the years, but even when the women’s qualifications were equal or superior to those of male applicants, Holland hired men instead of women,” the EEOC alleges.
    Hiring discrimination based on sex is a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
    Official government news release: https://www.eeoc.gov/newsroom/eeoc-s...discrimination

https://cdllife.com/2020/feds-say-tr...than-30-years/

Re: Holland sued over not hiring women

When I went to work at Holland in 1989 as a Linehaul driver, part of the qualifications was that you had to be able to handle a 55 gallon drum with your hands and body, not a drum truck or forklift, and you did that before the road test. I'll bet they don't do that anymore as that was a workout for a 6"3 200 lb 27 year old man (me) at the time, hard to picture a female doing that. That being said I have no problem with women driving, as long as they can do the same job without having to make different accomidations for them to be able to do the job.

Comment

Re: Holland sued over not hiring women

Originally posted by unionman View Post
      When I went to work at Holland in 1989 as a Linehaul driver, part of the qualifications was that you had to be able to handle a 55 gallon drum with your hands and body, not a drum truck or forklift, and you did that before the road test. I'll bet they don't do that anymore as that was a workout for a 6"3 200 lb 27 year old man (me) at the time, hard to picture a female doing that. That being said I have no problem with women driving, as long as they can do the same job without having to make different accomidations for them to be able to do the job.
      I agree unionman... one of the requirements when I was hired on in the eightys as a dock worker was to be able to put a 60lb pail above your head without much strain which was also required for anyone coming off workmans comp at the time. I don't know when that requirement was discontinued but when a fellow worker came off comp in the upper ninetys... he said that it was no longer a requirement.

Comment

Working...
      X