March 2021 COO at the Winston Salem 671 terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: March 2021 COO at the Winston Salem 671 terminal

I started at TNT Holland in November of 1989, and I think Pilot was already gone from the TNT Family of companies. You are right about the same colors and Holland wound up in Pilots old terminal here in Atlanta. And I'm sure that put a bad taste in some people's mouth. I remember seeing those TNT wind ferrings lit up at night on us route 32 in Ohio when I drove for Goodyear back in late 85 and 86 and talked on the CB radio with them and they were coming out of Kernersville or Winston Salem going to Cincinatti. They had the lit up TNT ferrings before we had them at Holland. Used to talk to a guy that went by Water Spicket on the radio back then out of Kernersville. #OLD TIMES

Comment

Originally posted by 2631 View Post
      No, I think TNT Pilot shut down before they formed USF. If I remember correctly TNT took its 5 profitable companies and formed USF. That would be I think Holland, Reddaway, Bestway, Dugan, and Red Star. And as I remember it was during the failed Dugan organizing drive that the IBT pulled Red Star out on a one day strike to force USF to the bargaining table.

We all know that strike failed and the Teamsters offered to unconditionally call off the strike and return to work. At that time USF was in secret negotiations with YRC and YRC already had New Penn. The strike gave USF the opportunity to shut Red Star down.

Crazy would know more about that since I believe he was involved in the WARN class action suit.
      Yeah the union said it was over the girls in the office in Philly but we all know that was nothing more than a lie.. You are correct that is was all about them firing some guy who was running the organizing at USF Dugan.. I worked for a short time for Coles , who after two years was merged into Viking.. A year later Viking shut down Coles and I believe Spartan.. A few years later I received some money that had been in a 401K but at the time they hadn't given it to me because according to them we were not vested ,, And sure enough the check came from FedEx .. These mergers take a whole lot of planning.. When I was at Coles we use to hear rumors that Fed Ex was gonna buy them but back then you considered it a break room rumor.. About the time they closed Coles is when I believe FedEx bought American Freightways.. They didn't need Coles or Spartan because they had American Freightways the same as YRC didn't need RedStar or Dugan because they had NewPenn.. The warn act money we received came from YRC..

Comment

Originally posted by unionman View Post
        I started at TNT Holland in November of 1989, and I think Pilot was already gone from the TNT Family of companies. You are right about the same colors and Holland wound up in Pilots old terminal here in Atlanta. And I'm sure that put a bad taste in some people's mouth. I remember seeing those TNT wind ferrings lit up at night on us route 32 in Ohio when I drove for Goodyear back in late 85 and 86 and talked on the CB radio with them and they were coming out of Kernersville or Winston Salem going to Cincinatti. They had the lit up TNT ferrings before we had them at Holland. Used to talk to a guy that went by Water Spicket on the radio back then out of Kernersville. #OLD TIMES
        thanks for the info

Comment

new bid is hanging now. I guess when it comes down we are merged as Holland

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
            new bid is hanging now. I guess when it comes down we are merged as Holland
            Is that a complete merge of both boards Jimmy, are they closing a terminal location in Greensboro ? A friend or used to be coworker told me in Indianapolis Holland gained 3 road drivers from Yrc , how does that work? Did Yrc loose work to Holland, or are they trading some work between the brands? Are both brands combining and working out of 1 barn in Greensboro ? When I was still working at Holland, yrcw had sold a good jag of the Holland terminals to scab lines , mostly Estes I think and were leasing them back, and I mean the prime newer terminals like Indy, Nashville, Louisville , and several others. I never had the feeling it was yrcw's plan to hold onto Holland I felt they had just bought the competition and were bleeding them dry. They were charging a consultant fee of like a million a week we were told by our terminal manager , several years ago. This is just my opinion but I think if the economy hadn't taken a crap in 2008 or 2009 , they would have done Holland like Preston , but they needed the income from all the brands to keep them afloat . I really don't know how they've managed to stay in business as they fired the truly good people in management at Holland, the ones that knew how to successfully run a freight company. Yrcw, the holding company just sucks, and sucks the life out of everybody and every thing. I was talking to a Ups Feeder drive one Saturday over in Columbia Sc. At the air hub , told him how long I had worked at Holland before coming to Ups, he didn't know anything about freight but he said at a union meeting one Saturday in Columbia there were guys from Yellow that were worried about the pension and his Ups BA told him everything Yrcw touches turns to dust. It would be hard to argue against that rationale.

Comment

its a complete merger of the boards. (dove tail) YRC merged with holland. Holland is the surviving company. I had to sign a follow my work to holland bid sheet to keep a job. YRC had 3 road drivers that went to the holland road board. The rest of us are on one board. YRC had many non CDL people who are "red circled" I sing a bid to go to Holland Greensboro terminal. That terminal is on our property already. Same dock

Comment

Working...
              X