Truck stops in the Northeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck stops in the Northeast

This is questions to Drivers that were or are familiar with truck stops mainly back in the early to mid 1980s. The very few times that I got as far as Carlisle Pa. With Smith's Transfer , if you left there going to Wallingford Ct. There was a truckstop, I think it was on interstate 84, or 86, anyway for some reason I'm thinking it was exit 5 and it was in Pa. And if you were going north or east it was on the left hand side of the road, seems like it had a basement or stairs that went up to get inside, anyway it was a Smith drivers regular stop. Also going up I 87 there was a truckstop above Albany New York called Andre,s , seems like people up that way spoke French more than English. Also there was a dairy company that had brown tractor trailers I think outta Saratooga Springs New York I would see up that way and they would pull double long boxes on the Thruway, was trying to remember they're name. Also a mom and pop truckstop I think somewhere around Malone Ny. Called the Cherry Knoll , had the very best coconut cream pie I have ever had. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with these places or remember their names. Also the Green Shingle truckstop between Cleveland and Buffalo, Holland drivers stopped there, was kinda a freight haulers stop? Also was a diner kinda like a train car on the east end of the New York thruway, might have been called stop 22, or depot 22? Wonder if any of these places are still around? If they are still around I guess they would be like me OLD.

Re: Truck stops in the Northeast

Originally posted by unionman View Post
    This is questions to Drivers that were or are familiar with truck stops mainly back in the early to mid 1980s. The very few times that I got as far as Carlisle Pa. With Smith's Transfer , if you left there going to Wallingford Ct. There was a truckstop, I think it was on interstate 84, or 86, anyway for some reason I'm thinking it was exit 5 and it was in Pa. And if you were going north or east it was on the left hand side of the road, seems like it had a basement or stairs that went up to get inside, anyway it was a Smith drivers regular stop. Also going up I 87 there was a truckstop above Albany New York called Andre,s , seems like people up that way spoke French more than English. Also there was a dairy company that had brown tractor trailers I think outta Saratooga Springs New York I would see up that way and they would pull double long boxes on the Thruway, was trying to remember they're name. Also a mom and pop truckstop I think somewhere around Malone Ny. Called the Cherry Knoll , had the very best coconut cream pie I have ever had. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with these places or remember their names. Also the Green Shingle truckstop between Cleveland and Buffalo, Holland drivers stopped there, was kinda a freight haulers stop? Also was a diner kinda like a train car on the east end of the New York thruway, might have been called stop 22, or depot 22? Wonder if any of these places are still around? If they are still around I guess they would be like me OLD.
    I remember a few of them.. exit 5 in Pa?? It is still there although I don't know the name of it but did stop to get gas when I was returning home with the fifth wheel RV.. Cherry Knoll ?? I kinda of remember that when I was working for a owner operator and running Montreal about five times a week.. Talk about a long day.. Smoked three packs a day back then.. Then I can mention another, The Bridgeport Flyer.. Actually in Stratford CT.. Big freight stop for coffee..

Comment

Working...
    X