Yellow Driver Robert Herber Achieves Five Million-Mile Safety Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Driver Robert Herber Achieves Five Million-Mile Safety Milestone

Way to go Robert! That's quite an achievement.

"After nearly five decades of professionally driving for YRC Freight,Robert Herberhas logged his 5,000,000th consecutive mile without a single preventable accident.

Herber has been involved with the freight industry for most of his life, as he first began unloading cars at a cattle feed mill where he grew up in Burkes County, Penn. During Herber’s 45-year career with YRC Freight, he has worked out of seven different terminals across the country, and he currently drives a route fromJackson, Miss.toJacksonville, Fla.

“Throughout his career, Robert has demonstrated great dedication to the highest levels of professionalism and safety,” said CEODarren Hawkins. “We thank Robert for continuing to be an outstanding example for Yellow and congratulate him on reaching this extraordinary milestone.”

Herber credits his remarkable safety record to consistency and maintaining habitual checklists. Rooted in the Smith System, a set of industry-accepted safety practices, Herber has developed his own set of requirements to meet while he drives his route.

“Everyone has his or her own system that works best – the important thing is to stay consistent and make sure you are following a pattern,” said Herber. “I’m not comfortable until I’ve followedallsteps of my own system; if I don’t complete steps fully the first time, I’ll pull over and double check everything. The rest is by the grace of God – I never thought I would be driving for this long.”

“Robert’s unwavering record represents Yellow’s safety focus with excellence,” saidTamara Jalving, Vice President, Safety. “Drivers like Robert are what allow us to continue delivering award-winning service to our customers while keeping highways safe. We are proud to recognize his incredible achievement.”

In addition to being recognized for each million-mile safe driving milestone, Herber has also participated in Maryland’s State Truck Driving Championship, even proceeding to the national championships.

When he is not driving, Herber and his wife have enjoyed attending street rod shows everywhere fromAtlantatoFort Worth. They also spend their time volunteering in their hometown ofMeridian, Miss.– in 2018, Herber was selected Man of the Year by theCenter Hill Community Development Clubfor his service to the community."

http://investors.myyellow.com/news-r...on-mile-safety

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Re: Yellow Driver Robert Herber Achieves Five Million-Mile Safety Milestone

That's pretty awesome, I wonder how old he is? What's the Smith system? Is that anything to do with one of my former employers, Smith's Transfer? I wonder if he drove for Roadway when they had the break bulk by the airport in Meridian? Sometime when I turn Meridian during the day I remember to look that way as I go by and it's sad to see that once very busy Roadway terminal closed. That was a lot of jobs.
    Last edited by unionman; 03-15-2021, 04:47 PM. Reason: Moron typing

Comment

Originally posted by unionman View Post
      What's the Smith system?
      I think this is what they were referring to...

5 Rules of the Smith System

While there are many driving systems, the Smith System is a commonly used method for many drivers. The Smith System was invented by Harold Smith in 1952 to increase safety of commercial drivers and revolves around employing five rules when operating a motor vehicle. These five rules can dramatically reduce the risk of major accidents on both highways and roads.

Five Rules of the Smith System:

1. Aim High

The first rule for this method is “Aim high in steering”. Staying alert of the dangers and traffic ahead not only avoids rear-end collisions, but also alerts other drivers behind your vehicle to slow down. The driver should steer and focus their attention high, so as to view the road as whole and not just a few feet ahead.

2. The Big Picture

“Be aware of your surroundings at all times” may seem obvious to say, but distracted drivers are just as dangerous as intoxicated ones. Erratic and angry drivers take up a large portion of the traffic we see daily, so avoid major accidents by noticing how other drivers behave on the road. Having the whole picture means that you are doing your part to keep your vehicle as safe as possible while moving 1000 ft a second. There are a variety of hazards between your own vehicle and other drivers, and a keen awareness of these dangers will reduce these risks.

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving

The third standard of the Smith System asks drivers to remain alert. Energy drinks can only do so much before they cause the body to crash, and any repetitive motion sends us into a trance. Consistent eye movement prevents your body from entering the trance state, keeping you alert to every driving condition ahead of you.

4. Leave Yourself an Out

The fourth principle of the Smith System states to leave yourself a way out. This means ensure that other drivers do not box you in while selecting their lanes. Do not tailgate other vehicles too closely, and always anticipate other drivers moves.

5. Make Sure They See You

The worst thing a driver can do is assume. Assume other drivers can see them, assume other drivers are not dangerous, or even assume that they will just get to their destination safely. The final rule for the Smith System is “Make Sure You Are Seen”. This rule prevents accidents by removing assumptions made behind the wheel. As a driver, make sure that other drivers can see you and anticipate your move. If you feel you are coming into another driver’s blind spot, use the horn to get their attention.

https://www.topdriver.com/education-...-smith-system/

Comment

Thanks, I don't recall ever hearing of that?

Comment

Working...
        X