Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

Default Re: ABF's $10,000 signing bonuses for new drivers and dock workers/forklift operators

The healthcare is being given by government. The rent paid. The food paid. Mortgages delayed. Utilities.

The unions supported all that they get.
    Now we don't even have strike funds.
    Looks like we gave those away too.
    They don't work and the pay goes up.
    We don't work and they close the place unless we take less.

Up is down and black is white and evil is good and good is evil.

2. Likes crazy, Docker Liked this post
    Old School... and proud!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: ABF's $10,000 signing bonuses for new drivers and dock workers/forklift operators

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    As of June 29th,it was 15,now it's down to 10...Terminal manager assumed when ABF implemented this incentive,they'd have people lined up around the block to apply...Never happened,'still',and I mean 'STILL' can't get drivers...The Union doesn't even come into play anymore,these young people don't care,they want the money 'up front'(Saia-Fed-Ex-XPO-32,33,34 dollars an hour),somewhere in that range,just to name a few...ABF,just got a raise,26 and change...But the main obstacle in my opinion,they DO NOT want to work the dock...These young people would rather put up with all the 'non-union' BS and harassment at these non-union companies,then secure a good Union job with 'protection',a guaranteed future with ''great'' medical and a pension...DO NOT want to work the dock...They have no clue...I remember how tough it was to get hired at ABF,it took me almost 5 months to get hired,they wanted to know this,wanted to know that,for Christ sake,they even wanted my 'unemployment snubs'...WTF!!!!...These days,one question...''Are You Breathing?''...Ok,your hired!!!!...20 or 25 days to make the list,here's 15,now,10 grand,with the stipulation of staying for at least 3 years...Yes Docker,times sure as hell have changed,this AIN'T our Grandparents Union anymore!!!!
    Yes siree... our Grandparents Union isn't even recognizable anymore... especially the mindset...

In in the years past... it was...

"We can't afford not to strike"

Now... it's...

"I can't afford to strike"

I can't tell you how many times I have heard these words from the younger generation in 2013.

As a matter of fact... one was considered pugnacious to even consider striking and foolish to even mention the word...

With one-month reprieve, ABF and its pugnacious rank-and-file retreat to separate corners

A lively forum where truckers, who are normally opinionated people, go online to vent on the issues of the day. One recent post, from the handle of "Docker," who ostensibly is a unionized employee at ABF Freight System Inc., contained the image of a political button inscribed with the warning that "We Don't Want to Strike, But We Will!"

That could easily be dismissed as an idle, even foolish, threat since a Teamster strike could push the financially troubled less-than-truckload (LTL) carrier, which has lost about $230 million since 2009, over the edge, with thousands of jobs going with it. Yet it should be remembered that the 7,500 or so Teamsters employed at Fort Smith, Ark.-based ABF have been known to march to their own collective drummer.

https://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/...parate-corners

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Docker View Post
    Yes siree... our Grandparents Union isn't even recognizable anymore... especially the mindset...

In in the years past... it was...

"We can't afford not to strike"

Now... it's...

"I can't afford to strike"

I can't tell you how many times I have heard these words from the younger generation in 2013.

As a matter of fact... one was considered pugnacious to even consider striking and foolish to even mention the word...
    This is how the younger generation lives today.. Paycheck to paycheck.. This is how corporate America wants the average Joe to live.. Less chance of a work stoppage ..

Old School... and proud!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    This is how the younger generation lives today.. Paycheck to paycheck.. This is how corporate America wants the average Joe to live.. Less chance of a work stoppage ..
    And now corporate America appointed creepy Uncle Joe to be the spokesman for the average Joe... God help us all... lol

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    Ups

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    As of June 29th,it was 15,now it's down to 10...Terminal manager assumed when ABF implemented this incentive,they'd have people lined up around the block to apply...Never happened,'still',and I mean 'STILL' can't get drivers...The Union doesn't even come into play anymore,these young people don't care,they want the money 'up front'(Saia-Fed-Ex-XPO-32,33,34 dollars an hour),somewhere in that range,just to name a few...ABF,just got a raise,26 and change...But the main obstacle in my opinion,they DO NOT want to work the dock...These young people would rather put up with all the 'non-union' BS and harassment at these non-union companies,then secure a good Union job with 'protection',a guaranteed future with ''great'' medical and a pension...DO NOT want to work the dock...They have no clue...I remember how tough it was to get hired at ABF,it took me almost 5 months to get hired,they wanted to know this,wanted to know that,for Christ sake,they even wanted my 'unemployment snubs'...WTF!!!!...These days,one question...''Are You Breathing?''...Ok,your hired!!!!...20 or 25 days to make the list,here's 15,now,10 grand,with the stipulation of staying for at least 3 years...Yes Docker,times sure as hell have changed,this AIN'T our Grandparents Union anymore!!!!
    That is truly sad as far as I'm concerned ABF is at the top of the food chain in freight between the pension and health and welfare that's $40,000 and change a year isn't it , before you start getting your wages. I don't think the young people know anything about being in the union or the benefits of it which is truly sad and I think it's a sign of the times. Even over here at UPS our wages are pretty good when you top out, but I doubt they pay that much between the benefits and our pension .I know the benefits are a little better than what we had in freight in the southern conference through central states, but I still have the same insurance ID , that I've had since my oldest son was born in 84 still the wonderful Central states, and I mean that sincerely just the UPS plan. Most of us that have been in this business for a little while 30 years or better remember how damn hard it was to get a union job when your employer went out of business, and it's hard to wrap your head around them paying for help . The scab outfits might be paying a little more, but if someone stays there like most of us have in union jobs, more than likely they are going to need their insurance and I bet you they can't touch what we have, plus you get sick and they let you go at those places. They Thin the herd at Old Dominion and Saia when things get a little slow and it doesn't matter who you are or how long you been there there's a bull's-eye on your back, wouldn't that be great work somewhere like that a couple of decades you get sick , and they don't need you anymore. I cannot blame people not wanting to be gone running a road board as I missed a lot with my kids when they were young and I regret it now but nobody had to go in debt when it was time for college and we always had great insurance And if you have kids you're going to use it.

7. Likes Docker Liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12