Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Default Another one bites the dust..

I am surprised that Central lasted this long.. The shame of it that it is happening just before Christmas..

Exclusive: Central Freight Lines to shut down after 96 years

2100 employees will be laid off right before Christmas. Central Freight Lines is the largest trucking company to close since Celadon ceased operations in 2019.

Waco, Texas-based Central Freight Lines has notified drivers, employees and customers that the less-than-truckload carrier plans to wind down operations on Monday after 96 years, the company’s president told FreightWaves on Saturday.

“It’s just horrible,” said CFL President Bruce Kalem.

A source close to CFL told FreightWaves that CFL had “too much debt and too many unpaid bills” to continue operating, despite exploring all available options to keep its doors open.

Kalem agreed.

“Years of operating losses and struggles for many years sapped our liquidity and we had no other place to go at this point,” Kalem told FreightWaves. “Nobody is going to make money on this closing, nobody.”

Central Freight will cease picking up new shipments effective Monday and expects to deliver substantially all freight in its system by Dec. 20, according to a company statement.

A source familiar with the company said he is unsure whether CFL will file Chapter 7 or “liquidate outside of bankruptcy,” but that the LTL carrier has no plans to reorganize.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ex...eedings-monday

2. Thanks Jimmy thanked for this post
    Having Fun Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Ups

Default Re: Another one bites the dust..

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    I am surprised that Central lasted this long.. The shame of it that it is happening just before Christmas..

Exclusive: Central Freight Lines to shut down after 96 years
    Been there and done that. There's never a good time to loose your livelyhood. Hopefully it won't take long for the ones that want a job to find one as it seems there are plenty of job openings at other freight companies . When Smith's Transfer went out in 1988 I couldn't buy another Union job. I guess at least that isn't going to affect them as that is, was ,a scab outfit I believe . They can go about anywhere and get another scab job as they certainly have the majority in freight.

4. Thanks Jimmy thanked for this post
    Likes crazy Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by unionman View Post
    Been there and done that. There's never a good time to loose your livelyhood. Hopefully it won't take long for the ones that want a job to find one as it seems there are plenty of job openings at other freight companies . When Smith's Transfer went out in 1988 I couldn't buy another Union job. I guess at least that isn't going to affect them as that is, was ,a scab outfit I believe . They can go about anywhere and get another scab job as they certainly have the majority in freight.
    Biden says there is a driver shortage,like 80000 drivers short . I am sure they will find employment hopefully maybe some will be able to get union jobs, ABF has sign on bonuses..

6. Thanks Jimmy thanked for this post
    Likes unionman Liked this post
    Having Fun Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Ups

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Biden says there is a driver shortage,like 80000 drivers short . I am sure they will find employment hopefully maybe some will be able to get union jobs, ABF has sign on bonuses..
    If Brandon said it ,it has to be true. ��

8. LOL crazy, Jimmy LOL this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

I was reading yesterday on a trucking forum on Facebook that a guy went to a carrier in North Carolina and put an application in .. he said he had over 50 years driving and they told him he was too slow getting in and out of the cab.. So after reading that and other posts about guys trying to find work I call the whole driver shortage BS .. Their is no driver shortage.. But then again it seems that just about everything that comes from the Brandon administration is a lie.. And the left complained about Trump lying??

10. Likes unionman, 1484-1075, Jimmy Liked this post
    Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF Freight retired

I'll declare a driver shortage when they offer me $100/hr with specified guarantees to come out of retirement. Finding another job in today's market is easy but the application process is a royal PITA and getting back to work doesn't happen overnight any more.

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by unionman View Post
    If Brandon said it ,it has to be true. ��
    Pretty sure Biden, whether you care for him or not, probably never said any such thing. The clown show that is the trucking industry itself has been perpetuating this driver shortage for many years. If Biden happened to parrot the industries claims through ignorance of the facts, well maybe yeah. The same clown show will also tell you that approximately 80,000 applicants for driving jobs fail pre employment drug screens every year. If company's would stop screening for pot/recreational user types, seems like the supposed 80,000 driver shortage would probably vanish.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    Pretty sure Biden, whether you care for him or not, probably never said any such thing. The clown show that is the trucking industry itself has been perpetuating this driver shortage for many years. If Biden happened to parrot the industries claims through ignorance of the facts, well maybe yeah. The same clown show will also tell you that approximately 80,000 applicants for driving jobs fail pre employment drug screens every year. If company's would stop screening for pot/recreational user types, seems like the supposed 80,000 driver shortage would probably vanish.
    I still don't believe there is any driver shortage but do agree with you on the pre employment drug screen BS.. I have read on different forums on Facebook where guys try to come out of retirement and get told they cannot get hired.. One was because he took too long to get in and out of the truck and the other was because he hadn't any driving experience over the last year and that after 50 years on the road.. These guys willing to come out of retirement not only should get top scale but be rewarded for their experience to teach the younger drivers.. I thought about it but popped open another beer instead..

14. Likes Yankee, 1484-1075 Liked this post