Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Charlotte Motor Speedway open for memorial day ?

Seems the local Republican legislators want the track to open for it's Memorial day show. I find this a little strange considering other racing venues have already postponed, or rescheduled their races during that time. ( See the Indy 500 post )
    Once again, it's all about the money, the economy. Not the lives of their citizens.
    Although they have mentioned "fanless" racing. Not sure about that either. The whole iRacing thing is supposed to cover that, without jeopardizing others you may need to work with.
    You can't open a super speedway without having thousands of people associated with the teams, food suppliers, maintenance and ground workers, track crews, safety and medical crews, sanitation, etc. The list could go on.

Legislators want Charlotte Motor Speedway open by Memorial Day
    Republican legislators across the state of North Carolina are calling on the governor to at least partially reopen Charlotte Motor Speedway, the General Assembly Senate Republicans contingency announced on Sunday.
    "We should be looking at every safe example of a way to partially reopen society, and fan-less NASCAR racing seems like a simple step that Gov. Cooper can take right now," Senator Sawyer said. Senator Harrington deferred to what some other states are already planning on implementing. "Other states have already adopted this policy, and Gov. Cooper should allow North Carolina to follow suit."
    The plan would be to open up the track in time for the Memorial Day weekend race, the Coca-Cola 600, on Sunday May 24. The state of Florida has already announced that they are opening up their track although NASCAR has not officially announced any plans yet as for the restart to the season.
    To permit fan-less racing at the speedway, Gov. Cooper would have to amend the current executive order.
    https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/...y-memorial-day

2. Thanks 2631 thanked for this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Default Re: Charlotte Motor Speedway open for memorial day ?

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Seems the local Republican legislators want the track to open for it's Memorial day show. I find this a little strange considering other racing venues have already postponed, or rescheduled their races during that time. ( See the Indy 500 post )
    Once again, it's all about the money, the economy. Not the lives of their citizens.
    Although they have mentioned "fanless" racing. Not sure about that either. The whole iRacing thing is supposed to cover that, without jeopardizing others you may need to work with.
    You can't open a super speedway without having thousands of people associated with the teams, food suppliers, maintenance and ground workers, track crews, safety and medical crews, sanitation, etc. The list could go on.

Legislators want Charlotte Motor Speedway open by Memorial Day

https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/...y-memorial-day
    In New York Cuomo wants to get baseball back and has been in talks with the NY Mets and as reported on local TV, the NY Yankees..But wait isn't Governor Cuomo a DEMOCRAT??

Why is every subject always have to be political..

https://nypost.com/2020/04/16/andrew...s-jeff-wilpon/

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday he is hoping baseball can return soon and made his feelings known to Mets COO Jeff Wilpon.

But with one caveat.

“I said why can’t we talk about a baseball season with nobody in the stands? Why can’t you play the game with the players,” Cuomo told his brother Chris on CNN’s “Cuomo Prime Time” Wednesday. “I think it would be good for the country. I think it would be good for people to have something to watch and do. To fight cabin fever. I think it’s something I’m going to pursue.”

Gov. Cuomo said he wants the games to be played even without the fans as a holistic approach. MLB officials recently floated a plan to put all 30 teams in the Phoenix area in empty ballparks to start the
    Last edited by crazy; 04-19-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

More information concerning the return of live racing at Charlotte and Texas Motor Speedway.

Hold Your Horses On That Imminent NASCAR Restart
    Look, just because everybody would love to see real NASCAR racing again, and just because politicians are dialing up their push for real NASCAR racing again, does not mean NASCAR will be racing again for real as soon as everyone would like.
    The next points race on the schedule is now the big Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 24. NASCAR said last week that it wants to resume its 2020 schedule in May, and the stay-at-home order by Roy Cooper, the governor of North Carolina, expires April 29.
    On Monday afternoon, Greg Abbott, the governor of Texas, had some good news for race fans (on a rough day for the state’s oil business) when he tweeted that he’d just talked to NASCAR leaders, who he said are “working to return to Texas at Texas Motor Speedway very soon” for a Cup race without fans due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
    While NASCAR debated whether to hold two races without fans in mid-March, I got in touch with five industry sources who estimated 2,000 to 2,500 people — drivers and their teams, race officials, safety workers and TV employees — are needed for an average weekend.
    So there are a slew of logistics. A highly placed industry official told me that the idea of resuming the season on Memorial Day weekend in North Carolina — the closest track to most race teams — would be a stretch, even though NASCAR would love nothing more to be back on the track in May.

Five state senators from North Carolina on Sunday called on Gov. Cooper to allow NASCAR to hold the Coke 600 without fans on its original date. On Monday, Tim Moore, the speaker of the House of Representatives in North Carolina, made the same request.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecal.../#398d0fd1ff29

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Hope all goes well.
    I know for many fans the thrill is in being up close and personal.
    The smells, the action and the people.

North Carolina Governor Gives Approval For A Fan-Free NASCAR Coca-Cola 600 On Memorial Day Weekend
    It’s beginning to look like NASCAR may be the first series back on track during our ongoing international coronavirus epidemic. In less than one month from today, NASCAR is tentatively expecting to race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, running the Coca-Cola 600 on May 24th in North Carolina without any fans present. During a press conference on Tuesday, North Carolina governor Roy Cooper confirmed that the race could go on as planned, unless health conditions in the state get worse.
    You might be surprised by how many people it takes to run a NASCAR event, however. Somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 people are required to get a NASCAR race running. It’s not just the teams, either. There are marshals, track workers, safety crew, NASCAR race stewards, suppliers from the fuel and tire manufacturers, caterers, and media.
    We’ll have more details to share soon in conjunction with NASCAR’s release of a revised event schedule.”
    https://jalopnik.com/north-carolina-...e-n-1843139524

6. Thanks Jimmy thanked for this post