What did Ya just finish doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What did Ya just finish doing?

Took a good smell of 2 loads of laundry done yesterday and around our washer and dryer. One load of 3 small rugs and another of junk that fell behind. We use a window dryer vent and the hurricane rains came and soaked that stuff. A couple days later it was strong mildew odor.
    Searched a way to get rid of the stench.
    Borax came up. Couldn't find it but eventually found that Lowes still had 39 boxes.
    20 Mule Team Borax.......did the best job getting rid of the smell in the stuff and mopped around. Smell is gone.
    Great stuff for mildew.

Hurricane flooded basements in town also. First time I really had water in my basement but it put out the pilots on my furnace and water heater. I've got a mess down there.
    Was told our street was like a river. Kids rafting on it too.
    It was gone except in my basement by the time I got home from work.
    Last edited by slavenomore; 08-09-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slavenomore View Post
      Took a good smell of 2 loads of laundry done yesterday and around our washer and dryer. One load of 3 small rugs and another of junk that fell behind. We use a window dryer vent and the hurricane rains came and soaked that stuff. A couple days later it was strong mildew odor.
      Searched a way to get rid of the stench.
      Borax came up. Couldn't find it but eventually found that Lowes still had 39 boxes.
      20 Mule Team Borax.......did the best job getting rid of the smell in the stuff and mopped around. Smell is gone.
      Great stuff for mildew.
      Enjoying a memory from your post.....Used it for years to clean things that were beyond hope. My hands more often than not. I found an old metal can of it in the garage at my mom's house. The same can I used almost 40 years ago. It moved from Idaho to California and 3 times there.

Comment

Memories ...
        Just saw an old TV show and I laughed when this was posted.

Comment

Just fixed a leak from our basement pipe to our outside porch shed hose faucet. Its still leaking. It only leaked when valve was on. Now it leaks when it's off too. Didn't use tape for threads. So I need to try tape. If not the threads must be stripped. Not a fan of plumbing.

Comment

Done. The thread tape worked. We will see how long.

Comment

After months of talking about it, I sold my Subaru Outback today. Put it up for sale yesterday afternoon, was bombarded with inquiries and sold it this morning for full asking price. Even though this is what I wanted to do, I will miss that little sports car very much. Had her 11 years! Now it's me and the 4Runner

Comment

Putting the finishing touches on a perfect day consisting of a road trip to my home town with our son and his girlfriend to show her a few sights.

Shoshone Falls was one........The mighty Snake River is pretty tame this time of year.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

Scrapping my days plans. A few weeks back I rented something at Home Depot. Saw they rented a lift with a platform on a trailer that you can pull with their truck. 40' lift I think. So early this week I planned on renting it. They now can't rent it. Regulation changes or something. Perfect to get at my spoutings and gutters. We had a vine for years which grew all over. Was supposed to bloom in 12 years. Never did. Killed it. But there's parts of it in my gutters and a little in siding. Not into standing 25' in the air on a ladder.
                  Scrapped Home Depot plan. Found another place open Saturday mornings. But need truck able to put rented ball hitch on. They don't rent it. Any Uhauls and such are out of pickups and trucks. And most say you can only haul their trailers. Must start over. Plus car just crapped out. Got in and it won't kick over.
                  Could've trimmed down tree which we left grow between neighbors and our house. They sold it and a management company rents it out now. I want the tree gone. Basement and foundation are old stone and dirt. Don't want the roots here. Not to mention it grew pretty big. Close to the house. Flooded basement during hurricane has me in freak-out mode. And the job leaves no time to energetically do anything much without taking off.
                  Sick of everybody expecting our job to always be there no matter how late....yet anybody I might need to deal with has set hours and they are never set on my time home.
                  Not enough compensation on our job.

Comment

Scrapping my days plans. A few weeks back I rented something at Home Depot. Saw they rented a lift with a platform on a trailer that you can pull with their truck. 40' lift I think. So early this week I planned on renting it. They now can't rent it. Regulation changes or something. Perfect to get at my spoutings and gutters. We had a vine for years which grew all over. Was supposed to bloom in 12 years. Never did. Killed it. But there's parts of it in my gutters and a little in siding. Not into standing 25' in the air on a ladder.
                    Scrapped Home Depot plan. Found another place open Saturday mornings. But need truck able to put rented ball hitch on. They don't rent it. Any Uhauls and such are out of pickups and trucks. And most say you can only haul their trailers. Must start over. Plus car just crapped out. Got in and it won't kick over.
                    Could've trimmed down tree which we left grow between neighbors and our house. They sold it and a management company rents it out now. I want the tree gone. Basement and foundation are old stone and dirt. Don't want the roots here. Not to mention it grew pretty big. Close to the house. Flooded basement during hurricane has me in freak-out mode. And the job leaves no time to energetically do anything much without taking off.
                    Sick of everybody expecting our job to always be there no matter how late....yet anybody I might need to deal with has set hours and they are never set on my time home.
                    Not enough compensation on our job.
                    We have a company coming Monday to thin, shape, two 50 ft trees and remove a huge branch overhanging the house. Our high winds lately have me freaked out. We lost part of our roof last fall due to the winds. Pretty reasonable for all that work. $1000 to cut, remove, clean up. The guys have a catchy name for their business. "Rent A Monkey." They came out last week and gave us the bid. He was right on time. 6:15 PM after we returned home from work.

Comment

Originally posted by 222lifer View Post
                      We have a company coming Monday to thin, shape, two 50 ft trees and remove a huge branch overhanging the house. Our high winds lately have me freaked out. We lost part of our roof last fall due to the winds. Pretty reasonable for all that work. $1000 to cut, remove, clean up. The guys have a catchy name for their business. "Rent A Monkey." They came out last week and gave us the bid. He was right on time. 6:15 PM after we returned home from work.

That's a great name. "Rent a Monkey".
                      After trying to regroup after using quarter can starter fluid I remembered I has this problem before. Happened at gas pumps and towed it after I killed battery.
                      The Malibu has a theft protection light on the dash. If blinking it doesn't allow car to start. Acts like it's out of gas.
                      A workmate's father-in-law worked on GM for years.
                      Told me to turn key on and when the theft protection light goes stops blinking after 20 minutes or so......it starts right up.
                      Stressful when car don't work.
                      But that trick worked again. It starts again. Some kind of reset problem.

Comment

Nor am I. I decided last summer I wasn't going high any more. Living alone in the country if I fell, no one
                        would know unless a passerby wondered why the buzzards were circling. I sold both my extension ladders so I
                        wouldn't be tempted to go high "just this once".

Originally posted by 222lifer View Post
                        We have a company coming Monday to thin, shape, two 50 ft trees and remove a huge branch overhanging the house. Our high winds lately have me freaked out. We lost part of our roof last fall due to the winds. Pretty reasonable for all that work. $1000 to cut, remove, clean up. The guys have a catchy name for their business. "Rent A Monkey." They came out last week and gave us the bid. He was right on time. 6:15 PM after we returned home from work
                        Thats in the range of what the tree guys charge here. I had 4 large trees taken out last fall , clean up and stumps
                        ground out , $2300. I still have one big dead pine tree needs taken down , but it can wait till spring.

Comment

Originally posted by x475 View Post
                          Nor am I. I decided last summer I wasn't going high any more. Living alone in the country if I fell, no one
                          would know unless a passerby wondered why the buzzards were circling. I sold both my extension ladders so I
                          wouldn't be tempted to go high "just this once".

Thats in the range of what the tree guys charge here. I had 4 large trees taken out last fall , clean up and stumps
                          ground out , $2300. I still have one big dead pine tree needs taken down , but it can wait till spring.
                          Gutter guys wanted over $400 to do my gutters. And the tree would cost at least $1000. The rental lift would've costed $181 for the day. Plus I would need to rent a pickup to pull it. Couldn't afford or really need a 2 seater with a family of 5. Maybe I'll think about 1 now that they all have vehicles.
                          Uhaul wanted $20 plus .79/mile which would have been $50 or so with gas fill when done.
                          The guy said he has seen Uhaul pickups haul his stuff but a few I talked to said you can only haul Uhaul trailers.
                          So $250 max would beat $1400 but then I need to get rid of the wood.
                          Last edited by slavenomore; 08-22-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Do you have a buddy with a truck? Or maybe rent the lift from a company that will deliver and pickup.
                            To get rid of the wood , rent a chipper/grinder and grind the small stuff into mulch , the large limbs and
                            trunk cut into firewood size and sell or give away.

Comment

Just downloaded 1 ticket for Metalica at a drive in theatre tonight. Good deal. $115/carload of up to 6 people.
                              Wife handed me the phone and said buy this. I said ok. Looks good. We will see how it goes. It is live or something. She just told me about it last night. I guess it is at drive-ins all over the country tonight.

Comment

The Metallica concert at the drive-in movie theatre was excellent. They rock. Fade To Black came out when I was 17. And it sounded great tonight. Great band and they were on. It was nice not being crowded elbow to elbow. Relaxing and smoking in our own car. I don't think I'd like the crowd at this point in my life. And the sound was great without the crowd noise. The National Anthem played before the show and most around us got out and stood for it.
                                Last edited by slavenomore; 08-30-2020, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X